Another Orwellian Reminder of Our Time
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  19:08:24  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO: Just THIS In...(Pentagon Seeks PR firm to Monitor News Stories)

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-US-Iraq-Media-Monitoring.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Orwellingly Yurz sez: These bastards are as nutty as the people who think they get laid by 72 virgins after pressing the detonation button. They are, without doubt, Fascio-Bolshevikiamerinazis!

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde

Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 08/31/2006 22:21:36

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  19:15:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
"Fascio-Bolsevikiamerinazis"? LOL! I still think my "theonazis" is catchier.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  21:29:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
If Ernie Pyle were alive today and reporting from Iraq, he'd be censored.
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  22:21:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO: Since my earlier post regarding what the Pentagon is planning for U-S news media, I think the term Fascio-Bolsheviamerinazi may be
a little convoluted. What with all his speechifying these days accusing Americans who are against The Bushit's Iraq "policy" as
appeasers, I think the politics for which we endeavor to properly name and define should be called: RUMSFASCISM. Maybe it will prove to be a permutation of NEO-CONISM.

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 08/31/2006 22:22:17
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2006 :  22:41:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
You've heard no doubt that one of the features of the remodeled Press Briefing Room at the White House was adding a TV wall on which to play Video News Releases to the press. This administration takes its propaganda very seriously.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  01:02:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Any military organization should take propaganda and information seriously.
They have no obligation to be truthful to any media organization.

Unless they are breaking any laws or trying to change the law this is nothing out of the ordinary.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  12:56:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Unless they are breaking any laws or trying to change the law this is nothing out of the ordinary.

Right!

What America needs more than anything right now is Media News to grow some spine. Or a revolution.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  13:13:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

The problem with this particular propaganda, Starman, is it is aimed at deceiving the American public, not the enemy.

The very hypocrites claiming to be bringing "freedom" and "democracy" to Iraq think nothing of doing everything possible to take both away from us.
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2006 :  14:59:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO Starperson: You said: "Any military organization should take propaganda and information seriously. They have no obligation to be truthful to any media organization. Unless they are breaking any laws or trying to change the law this is nothing out of the ordinary."

Orwellingly Yurz Sez: Not only are they trying to dupe the American public, as Beskeptigal
indicates, they've been and continue to try to intimidate the American public. Fuck that shit!

Moreover, this is JUST ANOTHER MOTIVATOR FOR OUR OWN FIRST AMENDMENT-BASED NEWS MEDIA to call the military's ass on this. I don't expect the military to NOT do what it has to, to win; that's its job. (I want the American military TO win, but figuring out what it is it's winning with G. War is unclear.) When it's "commanded and chiefed" by such an authortarian dildo, ordinary folks, who have even a small notion as to what and how important democracy is for the American way, better stand up and demand some accountability; ESPECIALLY when the news media, generally, need to re-grow a pair and stop chasing ratings in order to make more money for their respective media outlets and the selling of books for the hosts of the programs that are distributed.

It's all really pretty clear.

OY!

--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 09/01/2006 15:03:17
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  00:07:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

The problem with this particular propaganda, Starman, is it is aimed at deceiving the American public, not the enemy.
I'd guess they aim for both. What the American public learn might reach the enemy. Both sides have to recruit people and resources.
quote:
The very hypocrites claiming to be bringing "freedom" and "democracy" to Iraq think nothing of doing everything possible to take both away from us.
The military does not bring freedom or democracy. Militaries are neither free nor democratic, (BTW, I can recommend Land & Freedom by Ken Loach) They might be used to clear the way for or to protect democracy and freedom but their function is to hinder/defeat enemy forces, using violence and also propaganda.
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Mabuse

What America needs more than anything right now is Media News to grow some spine.
Exactly! They are the ones that should provide the public with the "truth".
Edited by - Starman on 09/02/2006 00:14:33
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  01:23:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Starman, there is massive misinformation being spewed right now by the Bush administration about the Iraq war. It isn't the military spewing it except they are doing their part to keep pictures of the war sanitized for public consumption. The claim the propaganda and secrecy is to keep the enemy from the information is absurd. The very things that are not being shown on a TV near you are being shown just about everywhere else in the world. And the hypocrites I referred to were the ones in the White House, not the ones running the military itself. The latter are a mixed breed. If you investigate you'll find a large number of retired generals who just recently left because they were not happy about the situation either.

The article starts out, "The U.S. command in Baghdad is seeking bidders for a two-year, $20 million public relations contract that calls for monitoring the tone of Iraq news stories filed by U.S. and foreign media." While the news headline is titled, "The Pentagon Moves Toward...." the real people behind this are Rumsfeld and company.

Why would it be strategic to monitor the "tone" of reports coming out of Iraq? Because they want to make the US citizens believe they are doing a good job. Never mind that the citizens have a right to know what kind of job their leaders are doing. Open your eyes, man.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 09/02/2006 01:29:10
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  12:44:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Beskeptigal, Starman and I are bystanders in this farce. The media in Sweden is not controlled by neither American corporate interests, nor American government, so what is reported to us are not filtered by the neo-con propaganda machine.
Like American soldiers firing indiscriminately into residential areas.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  15:40:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Beskeptigal, Starman and I are bystanders in this farce. The media in Sweden is not controlled by neither American corporate interests, nor American government, so what is reported to us are not filtered by the neo-con propaganda machine.

I should have looked where Starman was from.

But now that you brought it up, I read a piece a while back on fake news in Australia. Who owns your country's news media, who produces the news, is it just that corporations haven't caught up there yet or are there rules protecting the news?

The neo-cons have taken fake news to new heights but still, corporate news was getting there on its own.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2006 :  23:44:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Or using large amounts of WP burning and melting cvilians in Fallujah.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  02:22:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Well, ya see.... if that stuff recieved air-time here in the US there would be massive protests to get out of Iraq.

No way they can allow that to happen, they are making waaaaaaay to much money off this war.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  05:12:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
In Sweden, two of the three large TV stations are tax-funded stations, and the third station is working under strict concession. They are all audited closely by the Swedish Broadcasting Commission, which is a government agency installed to ensure impartiality and objectivity.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.