Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  11:41:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Over at AmericaBlog, they say that American Airlines is understandbly pissed and talking lawsuit.

Also, there's this little gem:
quote:
Monday, September 11, 2006

The lessons of September 11
by John in DC - 9/11/2006 01:31:00 PM

The Constitution only applies when the going gets easy.

War is the answer, even when you forget the question.

The truth is for sissies.

America has never faced an enemy as dangerous and as intent on killing us as King George, the Civil War, World War I, the Germans, the Japanese, a nuclear Soviet Union Al Qaeda.

The real September 11 story was badly in need of editing.

Just because they say it makes it so.

We have always been at war with Oceania.

A fool is born every election day.

Due process is for the innocent.

Patriotism means never having to say you're sorry.

It's all Sandy Berger's fault.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Luke T.
Skeptic Friend

140 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  17:00:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Luke T. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Luke T said:
quote:
Dude, how exactly do you know your email message was from the Democratic Party?

Well, gee, I dunno. Maybe because I get emails from them all the time, and this one came from the same email addy and IP as they rest of them come from?

You might want to take a look at why they are sending you blatantly wrong information.

Edited by - Luke T. on 09/11/2006 17:01:24
Go to Top of Page

Luke T.
Skeptic Friend

140 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  17:03:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Luke T. a Private Message
You can download the 9/11 Commission report here:http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/index.htm
Edited by - Luke T. on 09/11/2006 17:04:19
Go to Top of Page

Luke T.
Skeptic Friend

140 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  17:06:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Luke T. a Private Message
In the Commission report, starting on page 128, it details the plans to capture OBL at Tarnak and then how it was called off.

Then on page 131,
quote:
Impressions vary as to who actually decided not to proceed with the operation. Clarke told us that the CSG saw the plan as flawed. He was said to have described it to a colleague on the NSC staff as "half-assed" and predicted that the principals would not approve it. "Jeff" thought the decision had been made at the cabinet level. Pavitt thought that it was Berger's doing, though perhaps on Tenet's advice. Tenet told us that given the recommendation of his chief operations officers, he alone had decided to "turn off" the operation. He had simply informed Berger, who had not pushed back. Berger's recollection was similar. He said the plan was never presented to the White House for a decision.
The CIA's senior managment clearly did not think the plan would work. Tenet's deputy director of operations wrote to Berger a few weeks later that the CIA assessed the tribals' ability to capture Bin Ladin and deliver him to U.S. officials as low. But working-level CIA officers were disappointed. Before it was canceled, Schroen described it as the "best plan we are going to come up with to capture [Bin Ladin] while he is in Afghanistan and bring him to justice." No capture plan before 9/11 ever again attained the same level of detail and preparation.

Interestingly, the chief objections to the plan were that Bin Laden might get killed during the extraction operation. Part of the plan called for Bin Laden to be held by "tribals" and the planners were worried the tribals would kill Bin Laden before turning him over to them.

Page 130:
quote:
Discussion of this memorandum brought to the surface an unease about paramilitary covert action that had become ingrained, at least among some CIA senior managers. James Pravitt, the assistant head of the Directorate of Operations, expressed concern that people might get killed; it appears he thought the operation had at least a slight flavor of a plan for an assassination. Moreover, he calculated that it would cost several million dollars. He was not prepared to take that money "out of hide," and he did not want to go to all the necessary congressional committees to get special money.

I bet he wishes he had spent the money now.

Page 131:
quote:
On May 29, "Jeff" informed "Mike" that the has just met with Tenet, Pavitt, and the chief of Directorate's Near Eastern Division. The decision was made not to go ahead with the operation. "Mike" cable the field that he had been directed to "stand down on the operation for the time being." He had been told, he wrote, that cabinet-level officials thought the risk of civilian casualties - "collateral damage" - was too high.

So the chief objections to the plan were the risk of "collateral damage" and accidentally killing Osama Bin Laden!

Shortly after the capture plan was called off because of these risks, our two embassies were attacked.

The best they could come up with after that was to fire a few missiles into Afghanistan.

Page 133:

quote:
Clarke remembered sitting next to Tenet in a White House meeting, asking Tenet, "You thinking what I'm thinking?" and his nodding "yes." The principals quickly reached a consensus on attacking the gathering. The strike's purpose was to kill Bin Ladin and his chief lieutenants.

Those were the missile strikes, of course, which failed.
Edited by - Luke T. on 09/11/2006 17:12:07
Go to Top of Page

Luke T.
Skeptic Friend

140 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  17:18:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Luke T. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal
What besides your quibble over which source leaked the phone monitoring story are you claiming is false, Luke? BTW, welcome to TSFN. Because the main issue with the film, the timing, the unethical use of a partisan screen version of a movie just before an election remain critical and valid points.

When the Democratic Party lies, it's a quibble? But when ABC lies it's fascist propaganda?

Don't you see the hypocrisy?

And I wouldn't rely on Air America as a non-partisan source of information, either, beskeptigal. Especially Al Franken.

Edited by - Luke T. on 09/11/2006 17:20:47
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  03:11:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Luke,
Happy to debate you here. Doubt you will actually look at the evidence though, given what you have already posted.

I have been paying close attention to all this stuff for years and Al Franken does a very good job of presenting facts that can be easily checked. Obviously you are used to the propaganda from the right wing evangelicals who seem to think gays and abortions are more sinful than, "Thou shalt not bear false witness", and killing Iraqi children with bombs is acceptible collateral damage because we claim didn't aim at them.

Seems every 9/11 Commissioner so far has stated unequivocally that the movie misrepresented the facts. According to the Commissioners, Clinton OKed everything the CIA asked for and any hesitation was on Tenet's part. But in Mr. Medal of Freedom from Bush's defense, the one particular event where Tenet declined to send the cruise missile was when there was not sufficient proof Bin Laden was in the building in question and innocent people definitely were.

I find nothing in your post that trumps the conclusion of the Commissioners themselves.

Had you caught any of Ted Koppel's interviews after the movie you would have heard repeatedly from expert after expert, "we don't protect our democracy and Constitution by setting its principles aside", and there is nothing greater about today's threats than those of the cold war when thousands of nuclear armed missiles which were capable of reaching us and were aimed at our shores was the threat de jour.

Those people who can look objectively at the evidence of the Clinton years see an incredibly intelligent leader who was relentlessly attacked by hypocritical adulterers like Gingrich, at tax payer expense, with no public support as evidenced by Clinton's overwhelming re-election victory, who despite all that, managed to make, by far, better decisions than Bush and his neocon retards.

Those retards, I remind you, mistakenly bet the farm on Iraq, went in after lying to the American public since after all it was their wet dream before even taking office, screwed up even if they had had a chance of success, which I doubt they had anyway. So after Bin laden was defeated in Afghanistan, and world opinion was against Al Qaeda, Bush screwed up so badly he allowed the defeated Al Qaeda to regroup, rebuild, and gain thousands of more jihadists witnessing that baby bombing in Iraq I mentioned earlier.

John Dean from Nixon's cabinet calls this bunch worse than Watergate. Why? Because he said even Nixon wouldn't have openly advocated torture. Torture was not a Christan value last time I read the New Testament. It is reserved for God to dole out in Hell. I can't seem to find the quote from Jesus that says blowing babies and children apart is OK as long as you claim it was collateral damage, even if as Bush admits, Iraq had nothing to do with the 9/11 attack.

You are a Christian aren't you, Luke? The remaining 30% of Bush supporters who refuse to open their eyes to reality are pretty much the Evangelical folks. Misled by their power seeking leaders into hatred for gays as if it were the worst sin in the Bible when God didn't even rank it high enough to put it in the Ten Commandments, and preferring to fight for abortion law instead of working to actually decrease abortions by improving the education and economic status of the poor which actually decreases the number of abortions.

I recommend a course in media literacy for you, Luke. Learn to recognize when you are being sold a bill of goods rather than marching in step with the rest of the cannon fodder. You might be surprised to find out how extensive the Karl Rove Talking Points propaganda machine actually reaches.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  03:25:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Luke T said:
quote:
You might want to take a look at why they are sending you blatantly wrong information.

Well, since you seem to know the answer, why don't you illuminate me as to their motivations?

As for "blatantly wrong information", I have seen half a dozen 9/11 commissioners on TV the last few days (dem and republican) saying this broadcast is fictional and only very loosely related to the 9/11 report.

I'd also like to note the recent PR campaign from this administration, over the last few weeks, to try and stir up some of that 9/12 outrage.

They paid one of their own to create this hatchet job and blame Clinton for 9/11, in the beginning of fall election season, to try and rally support for republican candidates.

What other motivation can you reasonably ascribe to this show?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  04:08:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Question: Is everyone taking the 9/11 Commission Report as gospel, knowing that anyone that testified that could get away with it most likely lied to cover their asses? Lying and deciet is nothing new for either administration. I wonder what Berger scurried off with?

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  04:53:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
O.I. said:
quote:
Question: Is everyone taking the 9/11 Commission Report as gospel

No.

But you are conflating testimony to the commission with their conclusions.

Yeah, alot of people testified, and some of them were full of shit.

Which does not mean that the conclusions of the commission (based on several sources of info, including witness testimony) are therefore also shit-laden. Their job was to investigate, sort through the data, and draw relevent conclusions.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  05:07:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

Question: Is everyone taking the 9/11 Commission Report as gospel, knowing that anyone that testified that could get away with it most likely lied to cover their asses? Lying and deciet is nothing new for either administration. I wonder what Berger scurried off with?

Peace
Joe

The commision was something of a joke. Berger? Never mind Berger; wonder about what Bush scurried off with! Someone correct me if my memory has gone faulty, but as I recall, that little nancy-boy not only refused to testify under oath but had Cheney with him to hold his hand. And the commision let them get away with it!

Wish I'd been runnin' that show..... Or Dude, or B'gal or Dave or Kil, or anyone from here.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Luke T.
Skeptic Friend

140 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  06:11:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Luke T. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Luke,
Happy to debate you here. Doubt you will actually look at the evidence though, given what you have already posted.

I have been paying close attention to all this stuff for years and Al Franken does a very good job of presenting facts that can be easily checked. Obviously you are used to the propaganda from the right wing evangelicals who seem to think gays and abortions are more sinful than, "Thou shalt not bear false witness", and killing Iraqi children with bombs is acceptible collateral damage because we claim didn't aim at them.

Seems every 9/11 Commissioner so far has stated unequivocally that the movie misrepresented the facts. According to the Commissioners, Clinton OKed everything the CIA asked for and any hesitation was on Tenet's part. But in Mr. Medal of Freedom from Bush's defense, the one particular event where Tenet declined to send the cruise missile was when there was not sufficient proof Bin Laden was in the building in question and innocent people definitely were.

I find nothing in your post that trumps the conclusion of the Commissioners themselves.

Had you caught any of Ted Koppel's interviews after the movie you would have heard repeatedly from expert after expert, "we don't protect our democracy and Constitution by setting its principles aside", and there is nothing greater about today's threats than those of the cold war when thousands of nuclear armed missiles which were capable of reaching us and were aimed at our shores was the threat de jour.

Those people who can look objectively at the evidence of the Clinton years see an incredibly intelligent leader who was relentlessly attacked by hypocritical adulterers like Gingrich, at tax payer expense, with no public support as evidenced by Clinton's overwhelming re-election victory, who despite all that, managed to make, by far, better decisions than Bush and his neocon retards.

Those retards, I remind you, mistakenly bet the farm on Iraq, went in after lying to the American public since after all it was their wet dream before even taking office, screwed up even if they had had a chance of success, which I doubt they had anyway. So after Bin laden was defeated in Afghanistan, and world opinion was against Al Qaeda, Bush screwed up so badly he allowed the defeated Al Qaeda to regroup, rebuild, and gain thousands of more jihadists witnessing that baby bombing in Iraq I mentioned earlier.

John Dean from Nixon's cabinet calls this bunch worse than Watergate. Why? Because he said even Nixon wouldn't have openly advocated torture. Torture was not a Christan value last time I read the New Testament. It is reserved for God to dole out in Hell. I can't seem to find the quote from Jesus that says blowing babies and children apart is OK as long as you claim it was collateral damage, even if as Bush admits, Iraq had nothing to do with the 9/11 attack.

You are a Christian aren't you, Luke? The remaining 30% of Bush supporters who refuse to open their eyes to reality are pretty much the Evangelical folks. Misled by their power seeking leaders into hatred for gays as if it were the worst sin in the Bible when God didn't even rank it high enough to put it in the Ten Commandments, and preferring to fight for abortion law instead of working to actually decrease abortions by improving the education and economic status of the poor which actually decreases the number of abortions.

I recommend a course in media literacy for you, Luke. Learn to recognize when you are being sold a bill of goods rather than marching in step with the rest of the cannon fodder. You might be surprised to find out how extensive the Karl Rove Talking Points propaganda machine actually reaches.

Wow! What an amazing rant! Right out of the leftist playbook.

No, I am not a Christian. No, I don't listen to right wing evangelical propaganda. It does seem that you listen to leftist propaganda quite a bit, though, beskeptigal. The irony of you suggesting to me to take a course in media literacy is downright hysterical. That you have interpreted my examination of the claims from both sides of the issue as meaning I am a Christian pawn of fascist propaganda is beyond the pale.

A media literacy course. Ha! Ha! Ha! You're killing me. Sitting there making assumptions about who and what I am and lecturing me about media literacy.

I thought this was a skeptic's board. You know, check facts. Not make assumptions. Not spout your own brand of propaganda and overlook any myths coming from the left and just focus on the right's errors, and accuse anyone who doesn't wear a Che Guevera T-shirt as being a fascist evangelical.

You are a joke.

What a load of crap.

Go to Top of Page

Luke T.
Skeptic Friend

140 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  06:24:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Luke T. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Luke T said:
quote:

Well, since you seem to know the answer, why don't you illuminate me as to their motivations?

Unlike beskeptigal, I don't assign motives and assume the email from the Democratic Party that you received is some sort of Marxist plot, which would be the complement of her rants.

I just point out the error and suggest that maybe they aren't exactly the best source of objective information. I also asked how you knew the email was from the Democratic Party, because since it contained an obvious lie, I wanted to be sure that something as significant as a political party is actually responsible for spreading such a lie.

I don't know you, and so your claim it was from the Democratic Party was not enough for me to swallow the bong water and believe it came from them.

I have searched the internet and have yet to see anyone else claiming to have received such an email. I would think if the Democratic Party was mailing out such a thing, that it would be all over the internet. Thus, I have my doubts they are the source.

Sure, as a right wing fascist evangelical, it would be easy for me to believe the Democratic Party is spreading a lie. I could just take your word for it and go on my merry media-ignorant way...

quote:
As for "blatantly wrong information", I have seen half a dozen 9/11 commissioners on TV the last few days (dem and republican) saying this broadcast is fictional and only very loosely related to the 9/11 report.

Gee. That's nice. Here's an idea. How about reading the 9/11 report yourself, and making up your own mind instead of having some guys on TV tell you what to believe? I provided a link and some excerpts. What more do you want?

You watch the show. You read the report. Compare. Simple.

quote:
I'd also like to note the recent PR campaign from this administration, over the last few weeks, to try and stir up some of that 9/12 outrage.

They paid one of their own to create this hatchet job and blame Clinton for 9/11, in the beginning of fall election season, to try and rally support for republican candidates.

Okay. Now there's a bold claim. This administration paid one of their own to make this movie.

Please provide evidence to support this claim.

Edited by - Luke T. on 09/12/2006 06:41:50
Go to Top of Page

Luke T.
Skeptic Friend

140 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  06:40:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Luke T. a Private Message
Well, well, well. I just decided to check again to see if that email has made it to the internet since I last checked when I first saw this topic, and it has.

quote:
Tom McMahon, Executive Director of the Democratic National Committee, today called an upcoming ABC documentary "a despicable, irresponsible fraud." He's right. McMahon writes:

http://www.newmediamusings.com/

What follows from there is what Dude posted in the OP.

So Tom McMahon, Executive Director of the Democratic National Committee, is spreading his own falsehood while attacking the falsehoods in the movie.

Interesting.

So what say you all?

You have the 9/11 Commission report which you can read for yourselves. How about an objective comparison between it and the movie? Or you can continue in your partisan sniping. Whatever.

I personally have not seen any of the media coverage about the movie. Just what I have read right here in this topic and the topic started by beskepticgal on JREF.

As for the Report being gospel, who knows. I'm sure everyone who testified before the Commission was trying to make themselves look as good as possible.

But it is what it is and if the movie claims to be based on what is in the report, then that is the starting point.

Based on the excerpts I provided in this topic, I see at least two significant differences between the Report and the movie.

I have not seen the entire movie yet. I saw the first hour of each broadcast and recorded the rest to watch later.

I did not see the part of the movie relating to the excerpts I posted above, but have seen a clip that was linked in the topic on JREF that is pretty obviously derived from that part of the Report.

If I am not mistaken, in the movie it is Berger who calls off the plan in Afghanistan. In the 9/11 Report, it is Tenet who calls of the plan, and he later tells Berger "off-line" so to speak, about the aborted plan.

So the movie makes it look like a Cabinet official called off the plan, when the Report says it was Tenet. Tenet, in the report, stated he was the one. And Berger confirms that that was his recollection as well.

To me, that is a significant difference between the movie and the Report.

Another significant difference is that the movie appears to make it look like the tribals and the CIA were right on the cusp of capturing Bin Laden. That he was in their sights. But according to the Report, the plan never made it that far. It only got as far as the planning stage.

That's some poetic license! That's the "drama" in docudrama.

That doesn't bother me as much as the Berger/Tenet thing.
Go to Top of Page

Luke T.
Skeptic Friend

140 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  06:48:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Luke T. a Private Message
The clip from the movie that I am talking about is here: http://mediamatters.org/items/200609110001

The female agent's emotional outburst with Tenet is almost word for word from the 9/11 Report.
Edited by - Luke T. on 09/12/2006 06:51:09
Go to Top of Page

Luke T.
Skeptic Friend

140 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  06:49:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Luke T. a Private Message
I saw the first hour of last night's broadcast, and it made Condi Rice look pretty bad. How that plays into the Right's hands is beyond me.
Edited by - Luke T. on 09/12/2006 06:51:45
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds.