Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  14:06:04  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I've noticed that occasionally my replies to threads in these fora are the final ones. For some time, I've smugly believed that this proves my comments were the definitive ones, and simply could not be topped, debated, or ridiculed. (Perhaps, privately, some of you have felt similarly about your own "last words.")

But another explanation has recently occurred to me. Could it be that having the last word simply means readers are thinking of the following?:

1. "I don't even know where to start in correcting this guy."

2. "I think it's best to ignore this idiot."

3. "This last guy's taken the thread so OT, the topic's irredeemable."

4. "That last posting was so logically contradictory, it added up to nothing. There is no possible reply."

5. "Well, that's (HalfMooner/Whoever) for you. Maybe he'll get the hint and go away if nobody replies."

6. "It's less cruel to ignore him, than to highlight his stupidity."

Anybody have additional "last word" interpretations? Whoever has the last posting, wins.

[Edit: Typo.]

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/10/2006 16:09:13

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  14:17:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Well, when that has happened to me I have considered the possibility that I just bored everyone to death...

It happens often too…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  15:52:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Many years ago, dozens of the regular members of the Straight Dope Message Board were engaged in a "Thread Killer" contest. If I remember correctly, it consisted of taking the ratio of the number of threads a member participated in to the number of threads in which they had the last post. Of course, they had to put a time limit on things (last post in the thread for, say, three months) because the original contest had people ressurecting long-dead threads willy-nilly just to eliminate other members' "Thread Killer" status. I believe single-post threads were not included in any tallies.

As for other "last word" interpretations...

7. Kil said it, I believe it, that settles it.

8. While technically there's something incorrect about that post, I've got to go reply to Mozina again, instead.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  16:35:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
9. Everyone has me on "ignore."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  16:41:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I'm sure it is for different reasons. I've seen threads end when one person's mind is changed about something and they say so. I've seen threads descend into nonsense and the resulting frustration and insults. But most of the time I guess that people just get bored with a topic.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  17:43:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I've noticed that occasionally my replies to threads in these fora are the final ones. For some time, I've smugly believed that this proves my comments were the definitive ones, and simply could not be topped, debated, or ridiculed. (Perhaps, privately, some of you have felt similarly about your own "last words.")

But another explanation has recently occurred to me. Could it be that having the last word simply means readers are thinking of the following?:

1. "I don't even know where to start in correcting this guy."

2. "I think it's best to ignore this idiot."

3. "This last guy's taken the thread so OT, the topic's irredeemable."

4. "That last posting was so logically contradictory, it added up to nothing. There is no possible reply."

5. "Well, that's (HalfMooner/Whoever) for you. Maybe he'll get the hint and go away if nobody replies."

6. "It's less cruel to ignore him, than to highlight his stupidity."

Anybody have additional "last word" interpretations? Whoever has the last posting, wins.

[Edit: Typo.]

Yes.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  19:56:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
There's no room for rationality in this contest, marf.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  20:05:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

There's no room for rationality in this contest, marf.

Had you not replied to say so, and also abused your power to delete McQ's post, it may have been possible to illustrate this point by letting marf's post stand as the last. Now what're we gonna do?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2006 :  20:12:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
"We" are going to take a shocked tone as "we" say, "I still see McQ's post in its entirety." Or perhaps you meant that I abused my power by failing to delete it?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  02:51:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Shit! McQ wins hands down, and I didn't even get a chance to wax eloquent. There is no rebuttal to agreement, is there?

TANJ!!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  09:00:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

There is no rebuttal to agreement, is there?
There can be.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  17:31:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:

"We" are going to take a shocked tone as "we" say, "I still see McQ's post in its entirety." Or perhaps you meant that I abused my power by failing to delete it?

I admit my phrasing was rather poor, I shall attempt to illustrate my original meaning in two ways, firstly, using points:

Had you:
1. not replied to say so, and
2. also abused your power to delete McQ's post,
it may have been possible to illustrate this point by letting marf's post stand as the last. Now what're we gonna do?

And secondly, using parenthesis to eliminate the possibility of the "not" being applied where it was not intended:

Had you (not replied to say so), and also (abused your power to delete McQ's post), it may have been possible to illustrate this point by letting marf's post stand as the last. Now what're we gonna do?

When are people going to start reading what I meant, instead of what I wrote? Sheesh.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  18:27:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Ah, I see what you mean, now. I think.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  19:21:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

There is no rebuttal to agreement, is there?
There can be.

But only from a third party...

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  20:26:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Which third?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  02:33:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Which third?

The Greens or the Libertarians, your choice.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.