Media Issues
 What happened??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jarrid
Skeptic Friend

101 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  09:03:37  Show Profile  Send Jarrid an AOL message Send Jarrid a Private Message
During the Natalee Hollaway investigation, another story co-dominated the "No.1 story of the night," or "Tonight's feature story." It was the story of George Smith IV, who "mysteriously" disappeared while on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship. My question is, what happened to the story? I'm not overly concerned with what happened on the ship, but seemingly overnight the Royal Caribbean story disappeared. Why? Were there payoffs to keep it out of the media? Were threats made for a lawsuit? Why did nearly all the networks just stop reporting about it?

I don't have to go swimming through an outhouse to know I wouldn't like it."

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  09:54:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Hes not a hot young blonde and his parents dont scream loud enough at the right people.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  19:03:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
A teenage american disappearing in Aruba is pretty unique. A cruise ship is a whole nother story........

If you like to cruise... helpful hints:

The cruise ship you are on is most likely not flagged by the United States. NCL's the Pride of America was the first one flagged by the US in nearly 50 years. Most are flagged by the Bahamas.

Beause of this, you are not "in America." There is nothing that requires them to report crimes to the US. Royal Caribban and another have agreements with the FBI, but that does not mean they are truely fforthcoming.

THe screening process is not as stringent as it could be. There are serious crimes (assaults and rapes) that consitently go unreported. The cruise line employees are sometimes the perpetrators.

If you take a cruise, and are a victim of a crime:
You should act as if you are on your own. They will investigate, but you need to do your own investigation, take your own pictures, and find your own witnesses. Do not sign anything until talking to an attorny that specializes in Admiralty Law. Do this ASAP. t might cost you a pretty penny for those ship-to-shore calls, but do it.

People are constantly disappearing from ships. I believe last week someone went missing from the Carnival Imagination.

I think what happened to the story is that Royal Caribbean put on a publicity blitz. Went on Oprah (mistake), started being less hostile to the travel agents. They probably gave some nice staterooms to the right people, too......

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2006 :  23:04:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Hes not a hot young blonde and his parents dont scream loud enough at the right people.

Yeah but his wife was and she was suspiciously out carousing when it happened.

I thought it got a lot of coverage, Jarrid. The family of the missing man hired the famous Henry Lee to look at the evidence. I believe I recall Lee concluding the amount of blood on the deck outside the cabin window was more than and not in the location/shape consistent with just hitting the deck on your way out the window and overboard.

It's one of those cases where you are pretty sure the poor sap was murdered but there's never going to be enough evidence to prove who did it. The dead man's family suspects the new wife with money as a motive. It could have been a drunken brawl. The dead guy could have started the brawl. Short of a confession, I doubt the answer will ever emerge.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.