Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Should we be concerned about the Global Mission?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  09:30:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

There is nothing to re-write. "Freedom of exercise" is part of it, and just as Congress cannot pass laws respecting the establishment, they cannot restrict.
Except we have all sorts of laws which restrict people's free exercise of religion. Human sacrifice is illegal. Just like "freedom of speech," the freedom to exercise one's religion has limits. None of our freedoms are absolute, since otherwise walking into the Capitol building with a loaded handgun wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  19:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

There is nothing to re-write. "Freedom of exercise" is part of it, and just as Congress cannot pass laws respecting the establishment, they cannot restrict.
Except we have all sorts of laws which restrict people's free exercise of religion. Human sacrifice is illegal. Just like "freedom of speech," the freedom to exercise one's religion has limits. None of our freedoms are absolute, since otherwise walking into the Capitol building with a loaded handgun wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Picking at words... Can't yell fire in a movie theater... trash the first amendment all the way around.....

The point I am trying to make is there is nothing wrong with a religious view in Congress, as long as those views are not legislated illegally. Can religious whackos scare us... Yes.... but they don't scare me anymore then the non-religious ones, or the ones with professed religion. The chcks and balances are there, and the use must be enforced.

If the majority in Congres want a law for any reason, as long as it psses muster, then it becomes a law. If they all want to say that you can't wear black shoes on Friday, then it would be a law. Of course the ACLU would sue, saying that shoes were a form of speach... but that is another matter. For a lot of things, majority rules. For the big things it takes a bit more.

Our founders were truely a great mix. Diests, non-diests, Christians, Creationists, evolutionists...... If they did not encourage religion, they did not discourage it. One of the first things Washington did ater his address was appoint a chaplin.... Sure Adams was an atheist, but did he say anything? Not that has been recorded. I believe they still have a house chaplin.......

An interesting read.

Intent is everything, and the only thing.

Peace
Joe

The Circus of Carnage... because you should be able to deal with politicians like you do pissant noobs.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  12:58:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
OI, you should be concerned, not because these guys are fundie Christians, but because they are involved in a concerted effort to reconstruct the government to suit their particular beliefs. And, more importantly, because they are making considerable progress.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  13:07:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Our founders were truely a great mix. Diests, non-diests, Christians, Creationists, evolutionists......
OI, I highly doubt any of America's founding fathers were "evolutionists" as the theory of evolution had yet to be conceived.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  15:40:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Our founders were truely a great mix. Diests, non-diests, Christians, Creationists, evolutionists......
OI, I highly doubt any of America's founding fathers were "evolutionists" as the theory of evolution had yet to be conceived.

The idea of evolution has it's roots in ancient Greece and was taught by the early Christian church. This is the evolution I was talking about.

Peace
Joe

The Circus of Carnage... because you should be able to deal with politicians like you do pissant noobs.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  15:47:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
The idea of evolution has it's roots in ancient Greece and was taught by the early Christian church. This is the evolution I was talking about.

Peace
Joe

Oh, studiers of that philosophy referred to themselves as evolutionists, did they? And since you juxtaposed the term with creationist, did they also differentiate themselves from those who believed in biblical creationism? I must plead ignorance on this topic. I was unaware that the early christian church taught any form of evolution.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  15:50:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

OI, you should be concerned, not because these guys are fundie Christians, but because they are involved in a concerted effort to reconstruct the government to suit their particular beliefs. And, more importantly, because they are making considerable progress.

If they are able to reconstruct the government within the laws, that dosen't concern me because it was done correctly, and because I really don't think it will be any worse then the idiotic state we have been living in:
Where scumbags are fed and poor people go hungry.

Where people who don't work 'cause they won't work drive cars, watch cable TV and eat, while people who do work ride a bus and wonder when they will get a chance to watch TV.

When child A is distracted and can't learn because child B won't shut the hell up, quit picking fights, and being an all around nusciance.

When people spend 5-10 years being fed by a g-tube, or on a vent, and are vegative or near vegative, and there is no money for a chld to have a proven, if still expermintal, shot at a real life.

When JoJo is doing 10 years for 3 ounces of weed, and Ricky get's out after 5 for raping people.

The current way of doing things has not worked. It's just another group that probably won't address the problems corectly and will be out office themselves soon enough.

The amaendments I would like to see is one where you have to earn your citizneship, where penal colonies are not cruel and unusual, and indentured servitude was allowed.

Peace
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  16:29:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:

Peace
Joe

Oh, studiers of that philosophy referred to themselves as evolutionists, did they? And since you juxtaposed the term with creationist, did they also differentiate themselves from those who believed in biblical creationism? I must plead ignorance on this topic. I was unaware that the early christian church taught any form of evolution.

I have no idea if they called themselves evolutionists or some other term. They all did not beleive in creationism. I did use it to show the contrast and the diversity of the beliefs.

The majority were diests. However, many of them, believed little of the history of what was told and re-told before being written and re-written, translated, and re-translated from a translation.......

Some did not like the history of the church, and spoke against the history... but even some of those who spoke out against it's history acknowledged the good in Christianity.

Peace
Joe

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  21:32:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

...If they are able to reconstruct the government within the laws, that dosen't concern me because it was done correctly,...

History is full of examples where "laws" were not followed and we are going through the same thing right at this time.

And people must be vigilant or there will be others taking advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 09/30/2006 21:33:50
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  07:10:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:

...If they are able to reconstruct the government within the laws, that dosen't concern me because it was done correctly,...

History is full of examples where "laws" were not followed and we are going through the same thing right at this time.

And people must be vigilant or there will be others taking advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.

AMEN! "No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation." -- General Douglas MacArthur-

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.