Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  14:15:40  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/09/20/chavez.un/index.html

quote:
"The devil came here yesterday," Chavez said, referring to Bush, who addressed the world body during its annual meeting Tuesday. "And it smells of sulfur still today."

Chavez accused Bush of having spoken "as if he owned the world" and said a psychiatrist could be called to analyze the statement. (Watch Hugo Chavez cross himself as he tells world leaders he can smell the devil -- 1:06)

"As the spokesman of imperialism, he came to share his nostrums to try to preserve the current pattern of domination, exploitation and pillage of the peoples of the world. An Alfred Hitchcock movie could use it as a scenario. I would even propose a title: 'The Devil's Recipe.' "

Few leaders have balls the size of Chavez to state his mind as he did. But is Chavez bold or just happily unaware of his madness? I don't know enough about Venezuelan politics to make an informed judgement.
His words appeals to my senses though, and rings true. Maybe I'm just biased.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  16:12:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Although it was rather inappropraate for the UN, it warmed the cockles of my Bush-hating, little heart (I don't know exactly what a heart-cockle is, but mine are definately warm ).

I might suggest that President Chavez avoid traveling in small aircraft......

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  19:41:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I'm not so sure it was inppropriate for the UN. In this case the UN is the only place Bush will come within bristling distance of Chavez and the rest of the people Bush wants to attack for their oil resources. Seemed like taking an opportunity where one could.

Interesting the neocon talking points went off claiming there was no free speech in Venezuela. Turns out their press is freer than ours according to my circles. Unfortunately the neocons probably knew that but also knew the majority here will not likely hear that fact on our media.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 09/21/2006 19:42:29
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  21:45:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Aren't you glad Chavez didn't give one of his anti-Semitic speeches at the UN?:
quote:
"The world has enough for all, but it turned out that some minorities, descendants of those who crucified Christ, descendants of those who threw Bolivar out of here and also crucified him in their own way in Santa Marta, there in Colombia. A minority took the world's riches for themselves," Chavez said, according to a transcript of the Dec. 24 speech. Simon Bolivar led the 19th century fight to liberate Venezuela and some other Latin nations from Spanish rule.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  23:30:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Chaves has some brass plated cahones.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  03:43:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Aren't you glad Chavez didn't give one of his anti-Semitic speeches at the UN

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=2805

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 09/22/2006 03:44:07
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  06:26:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Interesting article, Gorgo. I sure thought Chavez's words were anti-Semitic. If they weren't intended as such (and I'm now unsure), they were some of the worst-chosen words I've ever heard.

Coming from a guy who's also pledged support to his "brother," Iran's President Ahmadinejad (a clear, holocaust-denying anti-Semite, that guy), an anti-Semitic reading of the Chavez speech is only natural. Especially when Chavez uses a phrase like "the descendants of those who crucified Christ..." which sounds like the old "Christ-killer" canard against the Jews. Did Chavez mean the Italian descendants of the Romans? If he meant the rich white elites of Venezuela and South America, as is now being explained, he certainly used poor language to express himself. That, however, may indeed be the explanation.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  07:20:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Maybe poor words, and maybe a different language and culture.

What's been done with Ahmadinejad's words is interesting too. What he actually said was that he didn't know what happened (which is not a good thing as I think he does doubt the severity of the crimes against the Jews), but that whatever happened was the fault of Europeans, and not Arabs. Why should the Arabs be punished, he is saying, (that is, the Palestinian Arabs) for European crimes? He has clarified this and been ignored.

Most of what's being said in the media about both of them is just jingoist propaganda.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 09/22/2006 07:23:34
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  09:13:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
http://gowans.blogspot.com/2006/01/why-iran.html

quote:
Ahmadinejad's Holocaust remarks were a challenge to those who use the Nazi's attempt to systematically exterminate European Jews as justification for displacing Palestinian Arabs to found a Jewish state. What he said about the Holocaust amounted to this:

“Either it took place or it didn't. If it didn't take place, then it is a fabrication. If it did, it wasn't the Arabs who did it; it was the Europeans. Why then should the Palestinians pay the price of what the Europeans did against the Jews?” (Musayeb Naimi, editor of Al Wefaq, New York Times, December 20, 2005)

That, by the way, is a question those who express high moral dudgeon over the Iranian president's comments, have steered clear of. Instead, they've latched onto his questioning of the Holocaust, even as a hypothetical, as the mark of a half-crazed Jew-hater.

Ahmadinejad's remarks:

“If you committed this big crime, then why should the oppressed Palestinian nation pay? This is our proposal: If you committed the crime, then give part of your land in Europe, the United States, Canada or Alaska to them so that the Jews can establish their own country.” (New York Times, December 15, 2005)

“Why do you want to force Israel on the holy land of Palestine by killing Muslims? Give a piece of your land in Europe, the United States, Canada or Alaska so the Jews can create their own state.” (Los Angeles Times, December 15, 2005)

“Is the killing of innocent Jewish people by Hitler, the reason for their (the Europeans') support to the occupiers of Jerusalem? … If the Europeans are honest they should give some of their provinces in Europe – like in Germany, Austria or other countries – to the Zionists, and the Zionists can establish their state in Europe. You offer part of Europe, and we will support it.” (Washington Post, December 9, 2005)

To this, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's spokesman, Raanan Gissin, replied: “Just to remind Mr. Ahmadinejad, we've been here long before his ancestors were here. Therefore, we have a birthright to be here in the land of our forefathers and to live here.” (Washington Post, December 9, 2005) Who's the religious fanatic?

Ahmadinejad's assertion that Israel must be wiped from the face of the map (by which he meant the idea of Israel as a Jewish homeland, founded on expulsion of Palestinians) has, predictably, been deliberately misinterpreted as a call for a second Holocaust, this serving the necessary pro-war propaganda function of painting Ahmadinejad as beyond the pale – a new Hitler whose country must be contained, crushed and subordinated, like the countries of all the other propaganda program-fabricated monsters the US and its janissaries have argued they needed to take out.

[and later]

Ahmadinejad's explanation of what he meant by “wiping Israel of the face of the map” is a far cry from what Bolton, and others, angling for intervention in Iran, would have you believe. “The only logical solution to solve the Palestinian issues, explained Ahmadinejad, “is to hold free elections with the participation of Palestinians inside and outside the occupied territories and in recognition of a nation's legitimacy.” (RNA, cited in Workers World, November 6, 2005). Ahmadinejad later noted that “they (Bolton and others) created a lot of hue and cry over that,” adding, “It is clear what we say: Let the Palestinians participate in free elections and they will say what they want.” (New York Times, January 15, 2006) This isn't the half-crazed ranting of a violently anti-Semitic leader; it's a call for justice.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  10:58:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Id like to see the term Anti-Isreali used more often because it is usually the more accurate term. God forbid you should disagree with anything the Isrealis do that makes you a racist anti-semite. Makes me sick, and the Isrealis abuse it every damn chance they get.

-Not saying those two arent anti-semetic, The Palestinians have a legitimate gripe about being thrown out of their homeland by force after all.

or are the Jewish people above criticism, being the(choke)chosen race.

Grogos post says it very well and no doubt the American media will spout the pro-isreal line verbatum.

Edited: to make myself seem less moronic.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 09/22/2006 11:01:36
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  16:10:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
At best, Gorgo, Ahmadinejad hedges his Holocaust-denial. That he even questions the Holocaust at all is extreme anti-Semitism, in my opinion.

While we should not automatically equate anti-Israeli sentiment with anti-Semitism, anti-Semitism in the guise of anti-Israeli rhetoric should be exposed. And Ahmadinejad, when he plays around with Holocaust-denial, is an anti-Semite, whatever additional comments he makes, and no matter how weasel-worded is the form of this denial.

Ahmadinejad (and, I tend to suspect, Chavez) knows just what he's doing: Playing on a world stage, with millions of anti-Semitic Muslims and others listening to his words. His weasel-wording and qualifications are just for confusing and disarming Western listeners. The bigots among the Muslims are getting his signal clearly.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  17:30:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I've seen absolutely no evidence at all that Chavez is anti-semitic.

I have seem evidence that the U.S. does what it can to attack small countries, and do what they can to demonize their leaders.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 09/22/2006 17:38:06
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  19:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
I don't think Chavez is anything other then your typical shot-man syndrome wannabe. Calling Bush the devil was absolutly great for Bush. All the majority of Americans saw was a a quick clip of the comments and of the (mostly) Democrats runnung to defend Bush. Being typical, there brain made one leap. Bush good, Chavez bad.

Iran, that's another story. If you don't think Iran wants Israel destroyed, wake up. Ahmadenajad is a good little Muslim conquerer.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  23:04:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Aren't you glad Chavez didn't give one of his anti-Semitic speeches at the UN

Mind boggling, isn't it, how much distortion can occur when information is passed on? Even direct reception of information is not always received as it was sent.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 09/22/2006 23:17:22
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  23:13:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Maybe poor words, and maybe a different language and culture.

What's been done with Ahmadinejad's words is interesting too. What he actually said was that he didn't know what happened (which is not a good thing as I think he does doubt the severity of the crimes against the Jews), but that whatever happened was the fault of Europeans, and not Arabs. Why should the Arabs be punished, he is saying, (that is, the Palestinian Arabs) for European crimes? He has clarified this and been ignored.

Most of what's being said in the media about both of them is just jingoist propaganda.

I thought of the difference in culture as well when hearing Chavez's UN speech translation.

And besides Ahmadinejad saying he didn't know what happened, I got the impression in that interview with Anderson Cooper on CNN that what he was getting at was more that the holocaust had nothing to do with his world. That it had nothing to do with the Palestinians or other Arabs and wasn't relevant to the establishment of Israel where it was established.

He didn't articulate that very clearly but there is always some error when translating because different languages don't have completely parallel components.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 09/22/2006 23:15:54
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  04:47:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

I don't think Chavez is anything other then your typical shot-man syndrome wannabe. Calling Bush the devil was absolutly great for Bush. All the majority of Americans saw was a a quick clip of the comments and of the (mostly) Democrats runnung to defend Bush. Being typical, there brain made one leap. Bush good, Chavez bad.

Iran, that's another story. If you don't think Iran wants Israel destroyed, wake up. Ahmadenajad is a good little Muslim conquerer.

I don't know what "shot-man syndrome wannabe" means. He is a democratically elected president who seems to be working to improve the lives of the citizens of Venezuela.

Ahmadinejad is someone that I know little about. You'll have to compare the number of countries that he has illegally attacked, and compare that with the number that Israel, or the U.S. has attacked, and I'll see if I agtree that he is a "good little Muslim conquerer."

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.