New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  06:02:55  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I've been kind'a/sort'a following the antics of this clown for a couple of years, but now, his latest pile of verbal dog- convinced me that I should learn a little more about him:
quote:
Inhofe: Global-Warming Scientists, Media "Doomsayers" and Tools of "Hysterical Left"

Submitted by Bob Geiger on September 27, 2006 - 9:20am.Global Warming

It seems somewhat appropriate that a social dinosaur like Senator James Inhofe (R-OK) would find it hard to believe that the earth's climate has changed since the Jurassic Period, but there he was on the floor of the United States Senate earlier this week, like a crazy man on a street corner, decrying the focus these days on the effects of climate change -- or, as Inhofe calls it, "the most media-hyped environmental issue of all time."

So, I finally Wikipediaed the Luddite wannabe and found pretty much what might be expected:
quote:
Political views

Inhofe is one of the most politically conservative members of either house of Congress; among other political stances, he strongly opposes abortion and gay rights. As a member of the Armed Services Committee, he was among the panelists questioning witnesses about the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse. There he made news by claiming he was "outraged by the outrage" over the revelations of abuse, suggesting that shock at the crimes was more offensive than the crimes themselves. He has also criticized the Red Cross as a "bleeding heart." Against the wishes of the Bush administration, the Pentagon, and the American Petroleum Institute, Inhofe has persistently blocked American ratification of the international Convention on the Law of the Sea, claiming that the treaty would infringe on American sovereignty.

I don't know his views on YEC and the ToE, but it seems concievable that he shoots a solid, neocon par on that course as well.
quote:
In a Senate speech, Inhofe said that America should base its Israel policy on the text of the Bible:

I believe very strongly that we ought to support Israel; that it has a right to the land. This is the most important reason: Because God said so. As I said a minute ago, look it up in the book of Genesis. It is right up there on the desk. In Genesis 13:14-17, the Bible says: The Lord said to Abram, "Lift up now your eyes, and look from the place where you are northward, and southward, and eastward and westward: for all the land which you see, to you will I give it, and to your seed forever. . . . Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it to thee." That is God talking. The Bible says that Abram removed his tent and came and dwelt in the plain of Mamre, which is in Hebron, and built there an altar before the Lord. Hebron is in the West Bank. It is at this place where God appeared to Abram and said, "I am giving you this land,--the West Bank". This is not a political battle at all. It is a contest over whether or not the word of God is true.
The chilling part is that Inhofe is currently the chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committie.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Antigone

44 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  09:07:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message
I read stuff like this and lose all faith and hope that this world will be ok. With people like this in politics (and who actually get elected) one wonders how we are still here.

Basing foreign policy on the bible??? This man needs a wake up call along with Bush.

And I guess members of the media are making the ice caps melt. I can see them now with matches melting the snow before they put their cameras on them. Anything for a story, right?!

And I can't even comment about the "outraged about the outrage." Maybe he's into S and M and can't see how this is dehumanizing.

Brain dead you say?
someone took his brain and replaced it with

Mortui non dolent
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  11:03:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Here is Source Watch's page on him with a bit of different and some overlapping data.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  12:48:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Thank's B'gal. Some stuff in there I didn't know.

A champion scumbag if there ever was one, eh?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.