Skeptic Friends Network

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Plumbing the depths of Creationist "logic"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  15:23:13  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
This post has to be one of the most absurd things I have ever seen come out of the mind of a Creationist. While I can't begin to count the errors in this line of thinking, it certainly provides a clear window into a Creationist's thought process, and I do use that term loosely.

quote:
Atheists, what you need to realize is that God will not reveal himself to you unless you have faith in him. In essence, in order to believe in God, you first have to believe in him. God cannot work unless you have faith. In that way, he is analogous to the force of gravity.

Maybe I can make myself clearer by presenting a scientific case: The earth is spinning around at an amazing rate; so fast, in fact, that we are all stuck its surface. If the earth were to ever STOP spinning, we would all literally fly off into space. So why doesn't it just *stop*? Logically, the only reason it doesn't just stop is because some being must be controlling it. That being is God. And why does he keep the earth spinning? Because he loves us; we are his children.

The force created by the earth's spinning is called "gravity." Gravity is what makes life on earth possible and it is what makes earth unique in the universe. If earth *wasn't* created soley for life, why then would it have gravity? And how come no other planets in our solar system have gravity or support life? I'd like to, just once, get a reasonable answer to that question from an atheist.

Gravity is a lot like God because you have to believe in it in order for it to work. I am certain that there is no one on earth today who doesn't believe in the force of gravity. If any of you disagree, try to find me just *one* person who doesn't believe that there is such a thing as gravity. I'm betting you won't be able to, because if someone actually DIDN'T believe in gravity, he/she would've floated away a long time ago. That is why gravity is not like God. Even if you don't believe in God, he believes in YOU enough to keep the world spinning long enough to give you a chance to accept him.
And it only gets better...


"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  15:59:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Wow!

It 'bout floored me for a second there, but doing a little looking around, I have concluded that our dear Ann Fergeson is merely a troll. Here are some of her other blathers:
quote:
Hello closet Christians. I have decided through much soul searching and conversations with the Savior that this will be my last post. Realizing that I have already converted those many Usenet readers who are easily swayed by hard-hitting essays, I have decided to save the rest of you in other ways. Starting next Thursday, I will be tracking each of you down individually and watching you, adding to each of your psychological profiles. When I feel the time is right, I will confront you and save you one by one.

But that may take time. And so, for my final post, I have
decided to make history and tear down a wicked institution. I am
talking about Halloween. I will tell you the facts so that we can
fight this sickness together. I urge everyone to unite with me in
ending this blashpemous celebration.



How come we can't get really neat trolls like that in here? I blame Dave W! He scares 'em all off with his absurd & savage logic & reason!




"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres


"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  16:05:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Wow!

It 'bout floored me for a second there, but doing a little looking around, I have concluded that our dear Ann Fergeson is merely a troll.
Perhaps, but then what's that old maxim? "Never assume dishonesty when stupidity will suffice?" Or do you think there is a point when something becomes so stupid that you must go back to assuming dishonesty?


"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13467 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  16:14:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Wow!

It 'bout floored me for a second there, but doing a little looking around, I have concluded that our dear Ann Fergeson is merely a troll.
Perhaps, but then what's that old maxim? "Never assume dishonesty when stupidity will suffice?" Or do you think there is a point when something becomes so stupid that you must go back to assuming dishonesty?



Wrong folder, but Bush comes to mind...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  16:15:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I didn't get past the first paragraph so far, it was so divine. I'll keep reading, but want to comment on the beginning, first:
quote:
Atheists, what you need to realize is that God will not reveal himself to you unless you have faith in him. In essence, in order to believe in God, you first have to believe in him. God cannot work unless you have faith. In that way, he is analogous to the force of gravity.
[my emphasis.] The author shows her knowledge of that area of the physical sciences called "Looney Tune physics."

The particular gravitational principle she references is known as the Wile E. Coyote Effect, named after its discoverer. It was Mr. Coyote who first noted that a critter will not begin to fall until that critter has had a moment to stand in thin air and recognize that gravity should be operating.


Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/30/2006 16:17:05
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13467 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  16:39:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Mooner:
The particular gravitational principle she references is known as the Wile E. Coyote Effect, named after its discoverer. It was Mr. Coyote who first noted that a critter will not begin to fall until that critter has had a moment to stand in thin air and recognize that gravity should be operating.

Whereby he becomes fully cognizant of the gravity of his situation.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  16:39:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Wow!

It 'bout floored me for a second there, but doing a little looking around, I have concluded that our dear Ann Fergeson is merely a troll.
Perhaps, but then what's that old maxim? "Never assume dishonesty when stupidity will suffice?" Or do you think there is a point when something becomes so stupid that you must go back to assuming dishonesty?



Or insanity, but I think you nailed it. I mean, really, if she were sincere, this chick would have been certified and commited long ago. She may well be a devout Christian, but she's havng a lot of fun stirring up the atheists.

I ain't laughed so hard since Grandma caught her tit in the mangle!




"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres


"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  16:44:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
I'm still unsure she's a troll. This link was posted in another forum because a creationist was in the middle of one of those "scientists don't know everything" rants when he stated "for instance, scientists have no explanation why the Earth has gravity but the moon doesn't."

A misuderstanding of gravity seems to come up fairly often among creationists. I believe even our own Verlch (mis)uses gravity in an incorrect analogy in one of his signatures.


"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  17:04:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

I'm still unsure she's a troll. This link was posted in another forum because a creationist was in the middle of one of those "scientists don't know everything" rants when he stated "for instance, scientists have no explanation why the Earth has gravity but the moon doesn't."

A misuderstanding of gravity seems to come up fairly often among creationists. I believe even our own Verlch (mis)uses gravity in an incorrect analogy in one of his signatures.



I see what you're sayin', but her other writings are even more preposterous. The bit about tracking down and 'saving' those who she has yet to 'save,' one by one, sets off the ol' bullshit detector.

This li'l darlin' is a'trollin' like she was out there in the Gulf Stream, methinks.

Edit: She writes very well to be an average, religious dingbat, don't you think? Most of the hysterical ones might be literate enough, but they write like spelling and grammer is for nerds, and barely worthy of notice.




"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres


"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/30/2006 17:12:36
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  17:56:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
[Bleech!] It's so over the top; it reads like it could pass from satire sites like Landover Baptist Church or The Onion.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26013 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  20:28:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

How come we can't get really neat trolls like that in here? I blame Dave W! He scares 'em all off with his absurd & savage logic & reason!
Gee, and I thought it was your snakes.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  23:31:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
This li'l darlin' is a'trollin' like she was out there in the Gulf Stream, methinks.
Yeah, after looking it over a bit more, you are most certainly correct. It appears she was nothing but a creative troll.

Time to get my irony meter recalibrated!


"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  03:19:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It was her writing style that first made me suspious. It is well structured and carefully thought out. Too many of the real ones simply rave along with a fine disregard for such things as punctuation, capitalization and paragraphing -- any sort of formating at all. It's almost as if they don't want to be read, so they make it as difficult as possible. Sweet Ann, on the other hand, is very easy to read, as if she was making certain that she would be read. That, coupled with her utterly freaked-out statements, not only insure that she would be, every ridiculous word, but produce the desired, outraged reactions.

Damn! I think I'm in love.....




"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres


"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  08:32:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

This post has to be one of the most absurd things I have ever seen come out of the mind of a Creationist. While I can't begin to count the errors in this line of thinking, it certainly provides a clear window into a Creationist's thought process, and I do use that term loosely.

quote:
Atheists, what you need to realize is that God will not reveal himself to you unless you have faith in him. In essence, in order to believe in God, you first have to believe in him. God cannot work unless you have faith. In that way, he is analogous to the force of gravity.

Maybe I can make myself clearer by presenting a scientific case: The earth is spinning around at an amazing rate; so fast, in fact, that we are all stuck its surface. If the earth were to ever STOP spinning, we would all literally fly off into space. So why doesn't it just *stop*? Logically, the only reason it doesn't just stop is because some being must be controlling it. That being is God. And why does he keep the earth spinning? Because he loves us; we are his children.

The force created by the earth's spinning is called "gravity." Gravity is what makes life on earth possible and it is what makes earth unique in the universe. If earth *wasn't* created soley for life, why then would it have gravity? And how come no other planets in our solar system have gravity or support life? I'd like to, just once, get a reasonable answer to that question from an atheist.

Gravity is a lot like God because you have to believe in it in order for it to work. I am certain that there is no one on earth today who doesn't believe in the force of gravity. If any of you disagree, try to find me just *one* person who doesn't believe that there is such a thing as gravity. I'm betting you won't be able to, because if someone actually DIDN'T believe in gravity, he/she would've floated away a long time ago. That is why gravity is not like God. Even if you don't believe in God, he believes in YOU enough to keep the world spinning long enough to give you a chance to accept him.
And it only gets better...





Am I reading it wrong, or is that post ten years old? Why is it just now coming up?


Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  13:46:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by McQ
Am I reading it wrong, or is that post ten years old? Why is it just now coming up?
Uh, I just thought it was amusing. It wasn't like I expected anyone to refute it or anything.


"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  16:46:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Originally posted by McQ
Am I reading it wrong, or is that post ten years old? Why is it just now coming up?
Uh, I just thought it was amusing. It wasn't like I expected anyone to refute it or anything.



And it was. I greatly enjoyed it -- thanks for putting it up.




"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres


"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.


Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.
Powered by @tomic Studio
Snitz Forums 2000