Sun Gazing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  12:57:25  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Burning my retinas and scorching those precious brain cells at number ten, sun gazers and the guy who stood in the sun too long Hira Ratan Manek. My friend who keeps me up to date on everything insane the internet has to offer sent me here

http://www.sungazing.com/

Along with a host of other websites spouting the same insane claims. Small e-mail contact with a practitioner claiming to be Manek left me more than hot (although certainly not due to staring into sun until my face melted off.)

With an impressively small knowledge of biochemistry, simple anatomy, and basic immunology. These claimants assert ideas that are deader than a six day old carcass roasting on the highway in that sun (the one that does not give endless nutritional needs to non-photosynthetic animals). The pure tenacity of those who would defend positions that are undependable makes me cry (or maybe it is the bright noon sun when I am without my shades.)

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  13:35:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Anything to sell a book, I suppose. Just don't forget to read the disclaimer...
quote:
Be aware that much of the material on the this site represents opinions and interpretations. This information should NOT be regarded as necessarily being true and scientific. With what you learn here, do your own research and discuss your options with health care professionals involved in your care. Please note: The information on this website is not a recommendation for treatment. Anyone reading it should consult his/her physician before considering treatment. The author and publisher can't be held responsible for anything. Use on your own risk.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  14:39:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
And what's the name of the book being sold? "The Earth was Flat". I just love how the title has nothing to do with the content, and instead is just one big fallacy.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  22:51:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
from the OP link:
quote:
In November of 2002 there were some flyers put up around school (American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, ACTCM), about an Indian man, Hira Ratan Manek (HRM), coming to lecture in Berkeley, CA. The flyer preached this man's ability to store the sun's energy in his brain. It also advertised that HRM hadn't eaten food in seven years!

Is it wrong of me to wish that these people would really not eat for about 3 months?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2006 :  23:04:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Dwinell, who has a master's degree in Traditional Chinese Medicine

Says it all doesn't it.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.