New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  14:25:39  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
what kind of frankingstein hybrid creatures would theoretically be possible to create?

For example if a donkey and horse can produce a mule or hinney, then is the case of the humanzee actually a possibility (lets not get into ethics). What is the actual cut-off point where two species are just not compatable?

Of course the humanzee was proven to be a big hoax (or more of a mistake) it was 100% chimp, granted a weird chimp.
But are our two species too distinct for some kind of hyrbid freak to be spawned? I for one would like to know.

With modern technology it has also become possible to create all kinds of fabulous monstrosities that were not possible merely by locking a male and female in the same cage. For example it is impossible for a rat to breed with a mouse, however by inserting rat DNA into mouse embryos, a rat-mouse chimera has been created, taking vermin to a whole new level. (I lost the link to an article about this, interesting stuff tho)

I am also interested in playing god with all kind of fantastic cross breeds and hybrids, so if anyone knows of any interesting ones I'd be delighted to have a look.

edited for grammar

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee

Edited by - Vegeta on 10/27/2006 14:42:44

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  14:38:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
http://www.hemmy.net/2006/06/19/top-10-hybrid-animals/
some good ones, honourable mention goes to the cama, because artificial insemination was needed making this even more monstrous.

http://www.molyworld.net/aa/crossesa.htm
this site is my favourate. But to e honest, if this is the best site I can find then tis topic is very underepresented on the internet.

Some interesting facts about hybrids:

Mules are more reliable and less prone to disease than either horses or donkeys

Ligers never stop growing because the gene to restrict growth is on the male side for tigers and female side for lions

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Edited by - Vegeta on 10/27/2006 14:42:15
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  14:46:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
It may be possible to create a human-chimp hybrid. Indeed, one Soviet scientist tried to do so, purportedly financed by Stalin in order to create a super-worker.

But trying again would be monstrously unethical, unless the chimpanzee lass was very willing and attractive.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  14:53:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
intersting, shame he only got to make 3 proper attempts. It takes more than that usualy with 2 humans

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  15:52:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Since the dawn of time, the tantalizing possibilities of one hybrid in particular has fascinated mankind to no end.

The monkapotamus.

C'mon. Admit it. You want to ride one.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  16:40:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hi Vegeta! Long time, no hear from....

Here's a pretty good article on the famous humanzee.

Photograph of Oliver

quote:
Rumors of a human-chimpanzee hybrid have abounded for centuries, but there hasn't been concrete proof. But then, how much proof do you actually need? Anyone who doubts that humans have fucked chimps hasn't met enough humans. Tune in to an episode of Comedy Central's "The Man Show," then tell me this hasn't happened.

Hybridization happens a lot in nature. It is well known in various prairie chicken species, and I myself once found a hybrid rattlesnake: Timber X eastern massasauga. An interesting animal that was hybrid at the genera level. I collected it and gave it to a museum. Since then these have been bred in captivity and more have been found in the field.

My avatar is a hybrid of a gaboon viper X rhinoceros viper.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  17:51:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
that snake sounds interesting. Its good to know this stuff happens in the wild. After all in the evolutionary process hybrids are important.
That chicken thing sounds interesting too, I'm not too clued up on different species of chicken. What I would really like to see is some serious attempt made to cross a chicken with a duck.

I'm also interested in creating hybrid fruits and vegetables.

Some of the common fruits we eat are hybrids such as the clementine (cross between mandarin orange and an orange). You can also create your own monstrosities at home by grafting lemon branches onto lime trees to produce a true frankingstein tree bearing both fruits.

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  00:57:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Hi Vegeta...Here's a pretty good article on the famous humanzee.

Also, the "Humazee" was believed to be a hybrid by its appearance and behavior, and later was promoted as such, then proved scientifically to be a chimp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_the_humanzee
"Oliver may be an example of a rare bipedal sub-species of the common chimpanzee lineage." – Wikipedia
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  01:41:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Prairie chickens are actually species of grouse. They select mates by using a male territoral dance display. Unfortunatly, the hybrids rarely get to mate because they can't dance properly for either species, or don't recognize the dances.

Chicken X duck won't work. Too genetically far apart. I've been told that duck X goose is out for the same reason.

Evolution doesn't 'want' hybrids, although hybridization is a small part of specization and might account for several, very similiar species occupying the same niche in the same area, like, well, prairie chickens. In it's haphazard way, evolution tries to preserve species rather than mix them up. With varying success.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

wombatwal

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  05:30:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send wombatwal a Private Message
Humans and Chimps mating and producing offspring, no, highly unlikely.
We are a different genus to chimps.
In the Botanical world hybrids from different species from the same genus are common. In Australia in the Grevillea genus hybrid swarms between different Grevillea species in the wild can be common. In a Grevillea garden under cultivation it is even more common for hybrids to be produced. In the Botanical world you don't get hybrids between species from different genus.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  05:47:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vegeta

What I would really like to see is some serious attempt made to cross a chicken with a duck.

There's always Turducken. Mmmmmm.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  10:43:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
yes they are the same subtribe but different genus to human. But Genus categorisation is not definite and often these rules can be broken even in mammals. For example the asian and indian elephant are of different Genus, but successful mating has taken place.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  19:18:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
subtribe?

Biological taxonomy:

Domain
Kingdom
Phylum
Class
Order
Family
Genus
Species

Systematics, cladistics, and taxonomy have become intricately detailed sciences over the last few decades. I'm not sure where "subtribe" goes in the list.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  04:42:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
In biology, a tribe—or infrafamily—is a rank between subfamily and genus, or between subfamily and subtribe, if that rank is used.

I made a mistake there anyway, same family different genus is what i should have said.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  16:42:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Family
--subfamily
--tribe
--subtribe

I hate sytematics.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.