Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  19:36:50  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO!

Kerry did it on purpose, knowing that the Bush Chickhawks would jump on it like a duck on June bug. What Kerry said gives the Iraq debacle even more legs (as if it needed them, but this is America, you know).

The big loser, in terms of Dems, is Kerry himself. If anyone thinks the Senator is going to be our next president, they'd better do some rethinking. Clinton, Obama and Edwards seem more inviting, although I voted for Kerry and have always liked his politics.

The remark puts people like Harold Ford in better shape because Ford has been one of those demanding that Kerry apologize. It must never be forgotten that in America, there is a large segment of our citizens who will always like to have smoke blown up their asses. The Republican't do it all the time, and many Democrats have to do it more often than not, unfortunately. Then you have Joe Lieberman.

It sort of rings out of that great line in "A Few Good Men" Jack Nicholson shouts at Tom Cruise, "You can't handle the truth!" There are too many Americans who can't handle the truth. They'd rather drink the Kool-Aid of George W. Bush's toxic lies.

John Kerry looks bad going back on saying he won't apologize. But he's probably helping his fellow Dems who are in important, tight races they must win to swing, at least, one segment of our government back to some semblance of sanity.

I've said it many times, and I'll say it again: I've never seen our country in more dire straits than it is now, and that includes WW II and the Cuban Missile Crisis.

All this division within our borders portends darkness, I fear. There'll be no light till these 21st Century robber barons and carpetbaggers are voted out of power.

OY!!!!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  19:56:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That kind of silly error in talking can be fatal to a politician. Bush is certainly trying to make hay from it. In a couple of days, most people will forget both Kerry and his gaffe. But they won't forget Iraq.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  20:15:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Orwellingly Yurz

YO!

Kerry did it on purpose, knowing that the Bush Chickhawks would jump on it like a duck on June bug. What Kerry said gives the Iraq debacle even more legs (as if it needed them, but this is America, you know)....

I have trouble following American politics at the best of times (it could be all concentration of blood in my head from being downunder), but it's even trickier when you don't provide a reference.

It may well be un-missable in your neck of the woods, but that's not so here!

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  20:19:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Here ya go, a fair dinkum linkie, mate:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/01/kerry.remarks/index.html

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/01/2006 20:20:06
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  23:26:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO, JohnOAS: Sorry...I thought CNN got into Melbourne and Sidney. I KNOW you mates got satellite dishes down there.

On a completely different subject: why is it that Australia has such good looking women who come to L.A. and make good movies? I was just watching one of my favorites this evening: Rachel Griffiths, yummy. I think she's from Melbourne. A couple of others that come to mind are Naomi Watts and Nicole Kidman, double yummy.

On another completely different subject, JohnOAS...we have a franchise of steak restaurants here called "The Outback." My favorite thing to do there besides eat some "Aussie food" is to look at the big world map that have on the wall with Australia on top. I like it.

OY...Orwellingly Yurz.

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  23:31:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO. One more thing JohnOAS...I don't think the blood is concentrated in your head because you're upside down, but just because you're thinking about politics in America with the president we have in the White House right now. It's enough to give anyone a headache whether they be in the U.S. or Australia.

OY!

--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

--me

--J. Paul Getty

--Oscar Wilde

--Albert Camus

--Albert Camus

--Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  23:55:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
OY said: " YO, JohnOAS: Sorry...I thought CNN got into Melbourne and Sidney. I KNOW you mates got satellite dishes down there."

Right, they got 'em, but they have to aim 'em straight down. They probably get, I'm guessing, CNN International, with less coverage of American politics.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/04/2006 00:14:41
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  03:01:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
So when is Senator John McCain going to apologize to Senator John Kerry for knowing what Kerry really meant but jumping on him anyway with the Chicken Hawks? He won't of course. McCain has revealed himself to be just another charlatan for the NeoCons.

Both men are War Heroes, but I'm sure if the situation had been slightly different back in Vietnam, and both had been prisoners together at the "Hanoi Hilton", McCain would have turned Kerry over to the North Vietnamese for some cigarettes.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  03:09:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

McCain has revealed himself to be just another charlatan for the NeoCons.
If McCain ever was what he claimed to be, he is now a prostitute and a traitor.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  03:42:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
What really should be asked here is why has the news media covered Bush, Snow and McCain's rants against Kerry over and over and over all day? That makes the Bush team lie getting 3 times the airplay as the Kerry response. It sucks. Brit Hume on Fox even went on analyzing the whole thing, unbelievable!

Kerry's response saying he wouldn't apologize for criticizing Bush was good. The problem is in the news sound bites, not in Kerry's reply.

Fortunately the Daily Show and Air America got the sick Bush joke about "no WMDs here" played a few times. And the Colbert Report caught Snow is a blatant distortion. It was great. Snow tried to say the word "us" which Kerry accidentally left out couldn't be put in the sentence anywhere that made sense. Colbert played that piece then followed with, "Yeah [.....] no education got us in the Iraq War doesn't make any sense".

Does America really think Kerry who stood up for the troops in Vietnam and who was wounded there actually disrespects the troops? I have to think only the hard core Bush idiots believe that. I think this is one of those overkill things that will backfire.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 11/02/2006 03:46:03
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  06:24:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
OY said:
quote:
Clinton, Obama and Edwards seem more inviting, although I voted for Kerry and have always liked his politics.

If the dems want a shot at the oval office in 2008, the primary voters better not deliver Clinton or Kerry. Those two are guaranteed to lose.

As for Kerry's "joke": Whatever. I'm a vet, and it didn't offend me. The bushies are just looking for something to talk about besides gay pedophile congressmen and the Iraq death toll.

It is to be expexted that they would jump Kerry's shit for it.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  06:44:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Boy, the media can go round and round with nothing, can't they? This is almost like how they ran with the doctored tape of Dean screaming. The guy says he screwed up, give it to him. What a big so what?

I haven't watched a lot of the coverage of this, but what I haven't seen are the facts about the troops themselves. I realize this has nothing to do with what Kerry meant, but since people took it that way, what are the facts?

Did anyone investigate the education level of the troops in Iraq? If there are a lot with higher education, is it because they got their education through the guard or through the regular services? Did they investigate whether or not there is an economic draft?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  11:46:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Here's another example. So, are his remarks true or false, or again, is this just another sacred cow to be tossed around at election time?

http://www.comcast.net/news/politics/index.jsp?cat=POLITICS&fn=/2006/11/02/512101.html&cvqh=itn_kerryremark
quote:
WASHINGTON - During a Vietnam-era run for Congress three decades ago, John Kerry said he opposed a volunteer Army because it would be dominated by the underprivileged, be less accountable and be more prone to "the perpetuation of war crimes."

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  13:06:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo
Boy, the media can go round and round with nothing, can't they? This is almost like how they ran with the doctored tape of Dean screaming. The guy says he screwed up, give it to him. What a big so what?

I agree the issue is “nothing”, but the reason it's nothing is because Kerry lost the election two years ago and hasn't got a chance for another nomination. Right now he's just another senator who said something stupid. He probably didn't mean to come across as insulting and condescending as he did, but either way it doesn't deserve the circus it's created.

What amazes me is the amount of “spin” this insignificant remark has generated. Is it commonly believed that what Kerry says now reflects the whole Democratic party?
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  17:11:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:

YO, JohnOAS: Sorry...I thought CNN got into Melbourne and Sidney. I KNOW you mates got satellite dishes down there.

There's no free to air CNN that I'm aware of. I don't have pay/cable at home, although I do have access at work, not that I make all that much use of it.

quote:

On a completely different subject: why is it that Australia has such good looking women who come to L.A. and make good movies? I was just watching one of my favorites this evening: Rachel Griffiths, yummy. I think she's from Melbourne. A couple of others that come to mind are Naomi Watts and Nicole Kidman, double yummy.

I think that's confirmation bias hard at work. Do we have fantastic looking women (actresses or otherwise) ? Absolutely. Do we have a statistically significant quantity per capita? I can't really say.

quote:

On another completely different subject, JohnOAS...we have a franchise of steak restaurants here called "The Outback." My favorite thing to do there besides eat some "Aussie food" is to look at the big world map that have on the wall with Australia on top. I like it.

Actually, there's one by that name not all that far from my place, although they're not a particularly big chain here to the best of my knowledge. In a few 10's or 100's of thousand of years, the poles will have moved enough so that, assuming "North at the top" stays as a cartographic convention, those maps will be correct!

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  17:35:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Mycroft:
What amazes me is the amount of “spin” this insignificant remark has generated. Is it commonly believed that what Kerry says now reflects the whole Democratic party?

Facing the possibility of loosing the house and the senate, the republicans will take what they can get. And of course, the media just goes along for the ride…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.