RKBA - Women adn the Second Amendment.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  13:10:38  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
To not drive the other discussion off topic:
Joe Said:
quote:

Most National Guard are Army National Guard, or Air National Guard. They answer to the CIC. He can do with them what he wants.

Interesting enough:
quote:
The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.....

I wish I could have added that to my paper on the second amendment. All I had was intent, not US law.

Peace
Joe

To Which HalfMooner Replied:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

Most National Guard are Army National Guard, or Air National Guard. They answer to the CIC. He can do with them what he wants.

Interesting enough:
quote:
The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.....

I wish I could have added that to my paper on the second amendment. All I had was intent, not US law.

Peace
Joe

[Off Topic, but wouldn't the above-referenced law's definition of a "militia" logically mean that no females at all except for members of the National Guard, and no males under 17 or over 44 who are not in the National Guard are covered by the Second Amendment's "right to bear arms"? Or did I miss something?]

From my Originalist point of view, yes. However, subsequent amendments to the Constitution rectified the inequalities for women and folks over 45. My point in pointing it out was my amazement in seing the militia defined in US Code of Law.

I did a paper in school on the second amendment, and found many refrences by the founding fathers thoughts, and the probable origins of those thoughts in my arguemnet that the second amendment covers the individual citizens, and that the citizens are the militia. It would have been much easier had I seen that then.......

Peace
Joe

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  15:32:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That was interesting indeed, Joe. That Federal statute does clearly seem to define a "militia" for Second Amendment purposes, though of course as you point out, subsequent changes to the Constitution itself would trump a mere law.

Yup, I can see how you may be kicking yourself for not having that law to refer to when you wrote your paper! But ignorance of the law is no excuse for not handing in homework assignments.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  21:32:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

That was interesting indeed, Joe. That Federal statute does clearly seem to define a "militia" for Second Amendment purposes, though of course as you point out, subsequent changes to the Constitution itself would trump a mere law.

Yup, I can see how you may be kicking yourself for not having that law to refer to when you wrote your paper! But ignorance of the law is no excuse for not handing in homework assignments.

LOL
I wish I had it somewhere. It was only supposed to be 5 or so pages. I did closer to 10 because of all the quotes I used.

Peace
Joe

Edited to add this:
US Code: Title 10 Chapter 13 - 311
Edited by - Original_Intent on 11/03/2006 21:36:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.