Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  04:00:54  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I'm putting this in Humor, but merely because it is "funny, peculiar," not because it's "funny, ha-ha." I'd appreciate some opinions on what I've found.

I just finished scanning the image below. It's a scan of a loose page my Dad found in an ancestor's storage trunk, which had already been looted by a distant relative to find stuff to sell for his drug habit. What I think it may be, is a lost page from Benjamin Franklin's "Poor Richard's Almanack." The "Richard Saunders" in the byline is a known pseudonym used by Franklin, particularly in Poor Richard's. (In fact that's the "Richard" the Almanack was named for.) The reference to "we Englifh Colonifts" would, I suppose, place its publication at some date prior to 1776.

Unfortunately, the opposite side does not continue the "Wondering NARRATIVE," but is instead a tide-table for Boston Harbor. I'd surely have liked to have read the remainder of it!

Here it is:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/05/2006 04:31:03

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  07:26:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I'm putting this in Humor, but merely because it is "funny, peculiar," not because it's "funny, ha-ha." I'd appreciate some opinions on what I've found.

I just finished scanning the image below. It's a scan of a loose page my Dad found in an ancestor's storage trunk, which had already been looted by a distant relative to find stuff to sell for his drug habit. What I think it may be, is a lost page from Benjamin Franklin's "Poor Richard's Almanack." The "Richard Saunders" in the byline is a known pseudonym used by Franklin, particularly in Poor Richard's. (In fact that's the "Richard" the Almanack was named for.) The reference to "we Englifh Colonifts" would, I suppose, place its publication at some date prior to 1776.

Unfortunately, the opposite side does not continue the "Wondering NARRATIVE," but is instead a tide-table for Boston Harbor. I'd surely have liked to have read the remainder of it!

Here it is:

Other than finding the guys from the "Antiques Road Show" and having them look at it, I would suggest sending the scan to some universities with good antiquities departments, or researching the font type and type of paper it's on. Certain font types were used by Franklin and printers in colonial America, and the type of paper it is on will help date it. There is a chance that the tide tables might help in some way, but I think only NOAA might be of some help there.

Good luck, and sorry I don't have better advice than that.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  09:24:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I know the provenance of that document.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  12:53:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:

I'm putting this in Humor, but merely because it is "funny, peculiar," not because it's "funny, ha-ha."

By way of analogy, this reminds me of a weather report I heard years ago over the radio while driving in Canada. The report was beautifully sung by a choir entirely in Gregorian Chant. The station eventually faded out and I have never found out who made it or what station it was on. I hope HalfMooner has better luck.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  14:16:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I know the provenance of that document.

I bet you do, Dave.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  14:25:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

quote:

I'm putting this in Humor, but merely because it is "funny, peculiar," not because it's "funny, ha-ha."

By way of analogy, this reminds me of a weather report I heard years ago over the radio while driving in Canada. The report was beautifully sung by a choir entirely in Gregorian Chant. The station eventually faded out and I have never found out who made it or what station it was on. I hope HalfMooner has better luck.

I would have loved to have heard that weather report in Plains Chant form. Indeed, I do see the analogy.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  14:28:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
McQ wrote:
quote:
Other than finding the guys from the "Antiques Road Show" and having them look at it, I would suggest sending the scan to some universities with good antiquities departments, or researching the font type and type of paper it's on. Certain font types were used by Franklin and printers in colonial America, and the type of paper it is on will help date it. There is a chance that the tide tables might help in some way, but I think only NOAA might be of some help there.

Thank you! The one reply which actually included serious practical suggestions!

Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  15:00:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:

McQ wrote:
quote:

Thank you! The one reply which actually included serious practical suggestions!

Of course, the content of the page is rather....hmmmm....interesting.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  15:22:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
McQ remarked:
quote:

Of course, the content of the page is rather....hmmmm....interesting.
Thank you for pointing that out. Considering your remarks, I carefully re-read the page.

One sentence in particular stood out rather suspiciously: "Whilst we Englifh Colonifts on this Shore are a tolerant People, we afo are a somewhat inquifitive one as well."

Please note the apparent misspelling of "also" as "afo." This sentence also contains a redundancy as well: "a[l]fo" in addition to the unnessecessay closing phrase, "as well."

Very bad form. I have some doubt Franklin would have made such a spelling errer, and also written the boneheaded redundancy as well. But I'd bet a computwerized comparison with the texts of other authors might turn up someone who habitually makes both such errors.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  15:35:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

The one reply which actually included serious practical suggestions!
Well, the serious practical suggestions I had in mind were ones I actually tried out, and which failed to bring forth any serious practical results. With the Copernican Principle in mind, I thus felt no need to actually "suggest" them, even though those failures did lead me to understand whence the page in question originated.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  15:44:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

The one reply which actually included serious practical suggestions!
Well, the serious practical suggestions I had in mind were ones I actually tried out, and which failed to bring forth any serious practical results. With the Copernican Principle in mind, I thus felt no need to actually "suggest" them, even though those failures did lead me to understand whence the page in question originated.

It appears that you may have trodden some of the same Google-guided paths that I have, Dave.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  17:14:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

It appears that you may have trodden some of the same Google-guided paths that I have, Dave.
[Nods knowlingly.]

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

seanhr

1 Post

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  17:56:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send seanhr a Private Message
"They travel in horse-drawn Wagons of peculiar Design, and call these 'Essyyouvies.'" (SUV's)

'They often place small Corks in their ears, with Strings tied between the Corks and thin Blocks of Wood, 'Eye-pods,'" (iPods)

Halfmooner, ye sure that drug habit doesn't run through the whole family? =)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  18:04:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by seanhr

"They travel in horse-drawn Wagons of peculiar Design, and call these 'Essyyouvies.'" (SUV's)

'They often place small Corks in their ears, with Strings tied between the Corks and thin Blocks of Wood, 'Eye-pods,'" (iPods)

Halfmooner, ye sure that drug habit doesn't run through the whole family? =)

No drugs required here, seanhr! And welcome to SFN!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  19:46:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by McQ

McQ, I think looking through the Onion archives might be more productive than Antiques Roadshow inquiry. You might want to re-read it.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  20:11:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

quote:

That would have been the King's Singers (from King's College of Cambridge Univeristy) they also did traffic laws in a similar style -It was probably CBC Radio 1 (usually AM) or CBC Radio 2 (usually FM). If you were in or near Alberta it may have been CKUA.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.