Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Speaker Pelosi... It's sad, sad, sad......
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  16:50:50  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Bitter bittersweetvictory

(11-05) 04:00 PST Glenside, Pa. --

quote:
House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi warned that a Republican victory Tuesday would prolong the U.S. involvement in Iraq another 10 years, as she embarked on a final push in a campaign that could make her speaker.

And they cry fear-mongering..... Or has she given up hope for a Democratic President in 2 years already?

quote:

In an interview from her Capitol office, Pelosi characterized Tuesday's vote as a referendum on the war, shrugged off President Bush's efforts to make her liberalism a national issue, described the current GOP leadership as a "freak show," and expressed confidence about her party's prospects to pick up the 15 seats it needs for a majority.

Freak show.... I thought that was the Democrat National Convention with Sharpton, Jackson, and Dean........
She dosen't need any help from Bush to make her liberalism a national issue.

quote:

Pelosi cautioned that the number of Democratic House victories could be higher or lower and said her greatest concern is over the integrity of the count -- from the reliability of electronic voting machines to her worries that Republicans will try to manipulate the outcome.
"That is the only variable in this," Pelosi said. "Will we have an honest count?''

Integrity of the count??? Or again, do the dems cheat better with the electronic votes........ Or.... "If we lose, we'll cry foul."

quote:

If they win, Democrats will immediately reach out to Bush to find a bipartisan way to begin redeploying troops "outside of Iraq," Pelosi said. They will also apply pressure to disarm the militias, amend the Iraqi constitution and engage in diplomacy in the region.

Diplomacy, yeah right. Real diplomacy I could go for, but appeasment is her brand.

quote:

If Democrats win, and Speaker Dennis Hastert is forced to hand the gavel to Pelosi, "I'll receive it, in my view, from the hands of special interests on behalf of America's future."

What she obviously means is that she will take it from the hands of right leaning special intrests on behalf of left leaning specal intrests.

If I were to "game my vote" (which is abhoring to me), I would have to vote for a Republican to stop this women cold. Unfortunately, (or fortunately) we seem to grow our democrats for national elections pretty decently compared to the rest of the nation. Lucas was good, Davis is a disaster.

I hate Bush for Pelosi almost as much as I hate Clinton for Bush. Swing, swing, swing that pendulum...... back and forh......

Peace
Joe

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  20:29:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
That's a good boy, OI. Pelosi is the one to fear. It will be worse than what we have now. Just keep telling yourself that.

Care to support the disastrous situation we have now with this rubber stamp Congress and the worst President ever? Or would you rather not think about that and just imagine the Democrats are bad and anything Republican must be better....Katrina, Iraq, warrantless wire taps, arrest without Habeas Corpus, billions unaccounted for in Iraq, billions going down the drain everyday in Iraq, claims that Dems have no plan for Iraq while it's obvious Bush is the one who doesn't have a plan, the generals retiring right and left only to publicly state how bad Rumsfeld's interference has been and Bush refusing to admit any mistakes so he won't fire Rummy....How bad does it have to get before you recognize the current situation amounts to an unchecked disaster?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  21:40:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Nice try, OI. Pelosi is your demon, eh? Hilarious!

This seems to be just like the GOP habit of turning up the Noise Machine to "bleeding ears" and going onto the attack whenever news is looking especially bleak for their position.

But we've seen the result of NeoCon power: Lies, deception, war, torture, suppression of science for theocracy's sake, contempt for and neglect of the poor and black in time of disaster, Big Brother electronic spying, the Patriot Act, the loss of habeas corpus and the enabling of continuing torture under the Military Commissions Act, on and on and on.

Pelosi. Some demon. The logo on a can of Underwood Deviled Ham is scarier.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  22:49:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
Mooner - you forgot ever increasing deficits - and these clowns are "conservatives"

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  23:04:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

Mooner - you forgot ever increasing deficits - and these clowns are "conservatives"

Ah! But that was implicit in the second "on" of the "and on and on and on" part.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/05/2006 23:04:56
Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  23:19:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message
YO: I always find it curious to listen to the liberal-haters excoriating the likes of Clinton, Gore, Clinton, Dean and Kerry. But they're old hat now since the new favorite of liberal-haters is NANCY PELOSI. (Can Barak Obama be far behind?)

One of the best words in the American vernacular is LIBERAL. I like that word, especially because to speaks so well adjacent to another neat word, "democracy!" I'm proud to be a LIBERAL. LIBERAL is good...in some cases, CONSERVATIVE is good...and in most every case I've seen or heard of, NEOCON is bad. LIBERTARIAN usually means being frugal and self-absorbed.

It strikes me that anyone who cares more about our nation and its government, rather than one particular political party, must dearly want a new congress in order for it to ride herd on these Dukes of Dereliction now in the Executive Branch till early 2009. (God, is it that far in the future?)

That, my Skeptical Friends, is a very conservative idea.

OY! OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 11/05/2006 23:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  00:08:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
OI....

TURN OFF LIMBAUGH!

That shit will rot your brain.

And I hope that you puch the e-vote box next to every name with a D next to it. It is the only way to restore the conservative values of fiscal responsibility, small government, personal privacy, and evidence based policy to our country!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:35:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
This was more of a test for you all then anything.

Once again, you defend rottenes because it is not as rotten as the current situation. What will make it better, that it won't be as bad? A "checked disaster" as oppossed to an un-checked one?

Plans for Iraq. Have'nt really seen one from the Dems..... Bushes wiretaps were somehow worse then Clintons? Genrals retiring under Bush worse then the ones under Clinton. This is all run-o-the-mill-mindless-bullshit-asnwers.

If that is better, you can keep it. I would rather have it worse so the whole thing collapses quicker. My prediction...... Just another swing of the pendulem.

All I see in the responses is the run to the defence of the left, because they are not as bad as the right. For things to get better, you have to be equal oppurtunity snippers. Snipe them both, not just the worst one.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:41:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent
All I see in the responses is the run to the defence of the left, because they are not as bad as the right. For things to get better, you have to be equal oppurtunity snippers. Snipe them both, not just the worst one.

I agree.

I'd add further that it's time to break this absurd left/right dichotomy. The world just isn't that simplistic.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  11:27:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I've seen a lot of adminstrations come and go but Bush, Chenney and Rummy are downright scary. These guys are claiming more and more power to the executive branch and using fear of terrorists to wage wars of agression and spy on our own people.

I am voting democrate across the board (I don't usually, I vote on the individual) if for no other reason than to put some checks and balances back in the goverment, cause there sure aren't any now!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  12:06:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

What will make it better, that it won't be as bad?
Isn't "not as bad" better, almost by definition? Well, that's not much of a joke, is it, since perfection is unattainable?

Really, I think the main reason that you and Mycroft see the responses here as unacceptable is that many here really have two goals: a short-term goal of making the best of a bad situation, and a long-term goal of improving the entire political situation such that we're not stuck with a choice between extremists. If you think of the short-term solution (voting Democrat tomorrow) as an attempt at implementing a long-term solution to the entire pathetic situation, then of course it's going to look like a crappy response.

Does anyone know of a practical method to "break this absurd left/right dichotomy," for example? That's something I've been thinking about for 25 years now, and I keep bumping into the realities of the average American voter as a serious stumbling block.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  12:14:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:

...I hate Bush for Pelosi almost as much as I hate Clinton for Bush. Swing, swing, swing that pendulum...... back and forth...

quote:
Originally posted by Mycroft

I agree.

More shilling for Bush I see. This is an old ploy. Agree that Bush is bad then blast the Democrats while tacitly discouraging voting, moderation and a sense of broad brushstrokes (i.e. which party will bring in the best staff and policies overall.)

My fellow Americans: Ignore them and vote tomorrow.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  12:34:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
Does anyone know of a practical method to "break this absurd left/right dichotomy," for example? That's something I've been thinking about for 25 years now, and I keep bumping into the realities of the average American voter as a serious stumbling block.

One way would be to form another political party. One that rejects the kooky extremists of the Libertarians.

I'd actually like to see a "moderate" party made up of the moderates of the Dems and Reps.
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  12:37:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

quote:

...I hate Bush for Pelosi almost as much as I hate Clinton for Bush. Swing, swing, swing that pendulum...... back and forth...

quote:

I agree.

More shilling for Bush I see. This is an old ploy. Agree that Bush is bad then blast the Democrats while tacitly discouraging voting, moderation and a sense of broad brushstrokes (i.e. which party will bring in the best staff and policies overall.)

Huh?!
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  14:02:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:

Really, I think the main reason that you and Mycroft see the responses here as unacceptable is that many here really have two goals: a short-term goal of making the best of a bad situation, and a long-term goal of improving the entire political situation such that we're not stuck with a choice between extremists. If you think of the short-term solution (voting Democrat tomorrow) as an attempt at implementing a long-term solution to the entire pathetic situation, then of course it's going to look like a crappy response.

LOL....... Pathetic situation. That pretty much sums it up......
I don't see how voting Democrat for a short-term solution really is a solution, whether in the short-term or long-term, not that I see voting Republican being a solution either.

The extremists on both sides are a symptom of the problem, and ANY support given them is bad, no matter the reason. It is like a disease that must ne cured. What is the cure? Certainly not supporting it.

I cannot speak for mycroft, but my objection is the rush to defend without question because of the appearence of it being better.
[quote]

I have been thinking about it for quiet awhile myself. I see this pendulem that keeps swinging further with each swing. I see two parties that do not want free-thinkers, they want party-liners. I see two camps of supporters unwilling to quit feeding the system.

I see the blue states contempt of the red states, and the red states see it too. I see the ole "Intelectual elite" bashing of anything left, and the elitism from the intilectuals on anything right.

I see Bush wiretapping bad, but Clinton wiretapping is shilling for Bush. I see Bush morality bad, but Clinton morality ok 'cause things looked better.

I see the other contempt for the Pro-Choice for Pro-Life, an vise versa.

The answer my freinds has always been n the Consttution. The Fed has to be neutered, and the states given back their power. Too much top-down here, eventually the top is gonna give.

Tow, Tow, Tow the line,
No need to really think,
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
We cause the boat to sink.

Enough ranting for now.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  14:09:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

quote:

quote:

I agree.

Get a grip.

You still have not explained what you mean by shilling...

I blast anyone who deserves it. You, on the other hand, seem to be one that won't blast anyone except for someone on the "other side." Hint, there are only two sides. The sides of the partisans that will destroy the country bitching about what the other side is doing, but not critisizing their side, and the side that bitches about bullshit from either side.

I have read, and re-read my post. Where do I discourage voting?

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.