Skeletor resigns!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  11:18:37  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Link

quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, intends to resign after six stormy years at the Pentagon, Republican officials said Wednesday.

Officials said Robert Gates, former head of the CIA, would replace Rumsfeld.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

Edited by - pleco on 11/08/2006 18:33:55

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  13:19:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
It seems rather odd that they waited till after the election, considering the war being such a large issue and Rummy being so vilified. Doesnt it seem like the 'we're trying to fix our mistakes' take have helped in the general election?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  15:14:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

It seems rather odd that they waited till after the election, considering the war being such a large issue and Rummy being so vilified. Doesnt it seem like the 'we're trying to fix our mistakes' take have helped in the general election?

You'd think so; but, old flappy ears has fucked up just about everything has gotten his grubby little hands on.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  17:23:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This man, the idiot who scrapped the Powell Doctrine and thus created a chaotic clusterfuck in Iraq, has gotten everything else bass-ackwards. No surprise that his resignation came too late to save hundreds of thousands of lives, not to mention his entire political party. Being a bonehead in the classical sense, he admits no wrong.

But at least the bloody-handed SOB is out. His replacement, Robert Gates, may be capable of applying more intelligence to the job of Secretary of Defense. It's hard to imagine someone doing a worse job than Rummy did. I'd rather see Colin Powell as Defense Secretary, but that would be expecting too much of the Commander-in-Chimp. Maybe Al Gore will appoint Powell to that office in 2009.

Note that Bush dumped his buddy just days after assuring the Nation that he would keep both Rumsfeld and Cheney in his Administration until 2009. Bush now admits he was lying to America about this, and had been considering dumping Rummy for some time, even having recently talked with him about it. So much for Bush's vaunted personal loyalty. The honesty part, we already knew about.

Now Bush is trying to do a Schwarzenegger Switch, re-marketing himself as the Compromiser, rather than the Decider. Should be interesting to watch this.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  18:11:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I smell a Medal of Freedom comming soon!

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  18:18:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Oh and....

The most wrong aspect to this is the fact that he obviously kept Herr Rumsfeld until it became politically untenable. He didn't ask him to resign because he is incompotent.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  00:48:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I'm sure they planned to sack him a while back but didn't want to look cynical doing it as an Oct surprise. You have half the Pentagon calling for the guy's head, it was hard to ignore that at the same time the war is going so badly.

Go to Top of Page

Jumbo

24 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  03:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Jumbo a Private Message
quote:

It would have to be a second medal of freedom. He has one from the Ford administration in 1977. No idea what he did to get that one

The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be lighted
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  04:42:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jumbo

quote:

It would have to be a second medal of freedom. He has one from the Ford administration in 1977. No idea what he did to get that one

Welcome to SFN, Jumbo! Yes, I agree with Dude that such a medal is coming, even if it's a second one. After all, Rummy needs one to catch up with the two Medals of Freedom already given to his rival, Colin Powell. Heck, maybe Bush will give Rummy two of em. In your face, Powell Doctrine!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  06:32:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
It seems to me this is only to keep Rummy out of jail, out of sight out of mind...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.