Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  23:51:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

...It's those backward, savage Ojibwas, Aanishanabe, and Salteurs who are the Red Men that worry me. They're plotting something. I heard some of that lot the other day, muttering something about a "sandy lake," and how, because of that, they like to do unto the "Gichi-mookomaan" what they once did unto the "Naadawensiw."

Oh those Naadawensiw folks! (Sioux) They're cool but also kinda wild like the "Klingons" to us Ojibwa. They talk louder, ride around and kick up some dust now and then. (We're more into graphic design and Italian cars.) Many Chippewas speak French, Anishinaabemowin and English. Yup, my wiigiwaam has central heat & air. After all, it's the 21st Century.

P.S. The Chippewa word for "owl" is "gookookoo" -- but before you start thinking we have a phonetic language, the word for "horse" is "bebezhigooganzhi".
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  23:59:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
My mother's father was half Amerind of some sort. He lived his entire life in New Hampshire, so I'd guess the tribe his mother was from (she's where the 'half' came from) was also from that area. Definitely not a plains Indian of any sort, but does anyone have any guesses as to a positive ID?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  23:59:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:

"...naturally-found carbon crystals..."

It's rare for me to post back to back (and twice in the same thread) but I just wanted to mention in passing that back in WWII, German scientists tried to design a secret rocket plane for the Luftwaffe that flew on coal dust.

Lippisch P.13a sketch

Early prototype (Captured by Americans)

Artist's conception
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  00:00:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
"Bebezhigooganzhi." Maybe you need to pronounce it in a whinny for it to work right?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  00:04:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

It's rare for me to post back to back (and twice in the same thread)...
I, uh, er, had your back.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  00:06:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:

quote:

"...naturally-found carbon crystals..."

It's rare for me to post back to back (and twice in the same thread) but I just wanted to mention in passing that back in WWII, German scientists tried to design a secret rocket plane for the Luftwaffe that flew on coal dust.

Lippisch P.13a sketch

Early prototype (Captured by Americans)

Artist's conception

Good looking plane, Chip! Nothing as much fun to look at as the crazy (and sometimes not so crazy) last-minute Nazi superweapons! I saw one pic of a tank they had begun to design, as big as a destroyer, and using a Naval turret.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/10/2006 00:07:52
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  00:06:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

My mother's father was half Amerind of some sort. He lived his entire life in New Hampshire, so I'd guess the tribe his mother was from (she's where the 'half' came from) was also from that area...

This website might help a little, Dave:
http://www.accessgenealogy.com/native/newhampshire/index.htm

For anyone interested "Amerind" is short for "American Indian" and not the name of a tribe. There are lots of tribes in and around New Hampshire.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  00:29:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:

Good looking plane, Chip! Nothing as much fun to look at as the crazy (and sometimes not so crazy) last-minute Nazi superweapons!
Yup. A Nazi is a terribly bad thing. Being a test pilot for the Nazis would be a very scary bad thing. Brings to mind, Hanna Reitsch (1912-1979) who would be an interesting subject for filty's rouges gallery. The woman was a total Nazi and also one of aviation's great test pilots. What a weird world we live in.
http://www.ctie.monash.edu.au/hargrave/reitsch.html

But anyway - this comment is just a digression. Back to humor! Just wanted to point out that there actually was an application for coal dust. I suspect many other applications too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  00:46:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Chippewa, ever heard of the book My Tank is Fight? If you like wacky Nazi war machines, then I think you would like it:
quote:
My Tank is Fight! is a humorous pulp-history look at more than 20 unusual or insane inventions of the Second World War. Each chapter features a detailed examination of the real history and technology behind each invention and all 19 chapters are linked by fictional narratives. The book is also lavishly illustrated, with 18 full-color illustrations by Josh Hass, and more than two dozen detailed black and white illustrations by Mike Doscher. My Tank is Fight! is not a dry analysis of the forgotten weapons of war, it brings those weapons to life.

However, I should note that I've never read the book myself, I just know of it.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  01:16:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Chippewa, ever heard of the book My Tank is Fight? If you like wacky Nazi war machines, then I think you would like it:
quote:
My Tank is Fight! is a humorous pulp-history look at more than 20 unusual or insane inventions of the Second World War. Each chapter features a detailed examination of the real history and technology behind each invention and all 19 chapters are linked by fictional narratives. The book is also lavishly illustrated, with 18 full-color illustrations by Josh Hass, and more than two dozen detailed black and white illustrations by Mike Doscher. My Tank is Fight! is not a dry analysis of the forgotten weapons of war, it brings those weapons to life.

However, I should note that I've never read the book myself, I just know of it.

Thanks, H.H.! I just read up on the book, and ordered it from Smokey Mountain Books, via Amazon. Yeah! Real MAN stuff, this! (Guess I gotta read it to figure out what the awkward title means.)

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  23:00:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Though I'm a nature-loving Chippewa, I'm not adverse to advanced technology. In fact, I have photon generators in every room!

Ha, reminds me of a naming by obfuscation episode of my own.

For very sensible reasons (to at least one government bureaucrat I'm sure) we weren't allowed to purchase a printer for one of our projects. We had thousands of dollards available, but it couldn't be used for computer equipment. Consequently, someone is left to find our "optical mask generator" every stocktake.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  23:06:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

quote:
Though I'm a nature-loving Chippewa, I'm not adverse to advanced technology. In fact, I have photon generators in every room!

Ha, reminds me of a naming by obfuscation episode of my own.

For very sensible reasons (to at least one government bureaucrat I'm sure) we weren't allowed to purchase a printer for one of our projects. We had thousands of dollards available, but it couldn't be used for computer equipment. Consequently, someone is left to find our "optical mask generator" every stocktake.

That's a wonderful, heartwarming story, John! Just goes to show that for every bureaucratic blockade, human ingenuity can come up with the brilliantly baffling bullshit required to defeat it.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  23:39:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

This website might help a little, Dave:
Thanks. Looks like I'll have to do a little digging.

By the way, your pathetic photon generators are no match for my dark suckers.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  21:29:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

...By the way, your pathetic photon generators are no match for my dark suckers.

Yes, well that brings to mind a question I'm too timid to ask a physicist: What is the speed of dark? (Or else you could be referring to liquorice lollypops.)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.