Lesson in Logic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baza

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  13:03:02  Show Profile Send Baza a Private Message
Just wondered if anyone could help me with a thought I had which has gone around and around my head so many times that I just don't seem to be able to see the "wood for the trees". Its to do with the regular statistic we get here in the UK about accidents and alcohol. eg http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/files/20030905_112530_Statistics%20on%20Alcohol%20and%20Health.pdf#search='accidents%20due%20to%20alcohol'
It seems to me that if say 20% (easier on the math) of accidents involve alcohol then 80% don't. Therefore you are 4 times more likely to have an accident when sober. So it must be safer to drink and drive. I fel that there is a mistake here in my thinking...I just can't see it. Can anyone get me out of this loop?

Baza

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  13:31:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Baza

Just wondered if anyone could help me with a thought I had which has gone around and around my head so many times that I just don't seem to be able to see the "wood for the trees". Its to do with the regular statistic we get here in the UK about accidents and alcohol. eg http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/files/20030905_112530_Statistics%20on%20Alcohol%20and%20Health.pdf#search='accidents%20due%20to%20alcohol'
It seems to me that if say 20% (easier on the math) of accidents involve alcohol then 80% don't. Therefore you are 4 times more likely to have an accident when sober. So it must be safer to drink and drive. I fel that there is a mistake here in my thinking...I just can't see it. Can anyone get me out of this loop?

I've been saying it for years! Drive drunk and face the oncoming traffic with confidence!

As vastly more people mistakenly drive sober than drunk, it is entirely likely that their accident total will be higher. However, statistically, the alcohol-related-related accidents will be higher as a percentage.

Does that make sense? Somebody better at statistics than I needs to explain this.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  13:33:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Those who drink will statistically be higher as a percentage than those who die in fatal accidents.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 11/09/2006 13:35:22
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  13:34:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Yeah, to compare the safety of driving drunk with driving sober, you'd have to look at the number of accidents per mile driven or a similar metric. If the 80% of accidents which don't involve alcohol occur within a total of a million road miles, while the 20% of accidents involving alcohol occur in just 10,000 road miles, then that 20% of accidents would be occuring in about 1% of the total mileage driven, and that's a lot.

I don't know the real milage figures, those are just examples. The point is that for DUI to be as safe as sober driving, then the 20% of accidents that involve alcohol have to be spread out over at least 20% of the total mileage driven by all drivers. But the rate of DUI is much less than an average of 1 drunk for every 5 drivers on the road.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Baza

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  13:51:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baza a Private Message
Thanks Filthy. So if I've got right. The drunk driver has a higher chance of being in an accident because they have taken alcohol, not because they form a minority of accidents overall. So what is important is how many people drink and drive and how much as a percentage of that figure, are the accidents. Therefore the actual amount of accidents due to alcohol compared to the total of people drink driving must be much higher. Yes I see it now.

Baza
Go to Top of Page

Baza

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  13:52:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baza a Private Message
Thanks to the others your points are well taken

Baza
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  14:06:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Yep if an equal amount of drivers were drunk and sober then the % would be closer to 95% of the accidents which involving drinking...

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.