New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rickm
Skeptic Friend

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2002 :  18:16:27  Show Profile Send rickm a Private Message
The American Cancer Institute disagrees with the studies by Dr. Joel Brind relating to the link between abortion and breast cancer, and so does a few other sources.

From the information I have found, it seems that thus far all studies are inconclusive.

His name comes up on a lot of pro life and Christian web pages, but I have been unable to find anything from a reliable source that shows that he may be right.

I was wondering if anyone else has heard, or knows anything regarding this subject.

I am curious, because 5 years ago my wife suffered a miscariage and would really like to know if this puts her at a higher risk.

"Let me off the plane, I am no missionary, I don't even believe in Jebus..... Oh Jebus please help me." Homer J. Simpson

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2002 :  08:47:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:
I am curious, because 5 years ago my wife suffered a miscariage and would really like to know if this puts her at a higher risk.

Before I even got to this line, the first thing that popped into my head was that if this were true, then they could easily check the breast cancer rates of women who had miscarriages and be able to see a correlation.

This shouldn't be hard to verify one way or the other, but I'm sure we'll hear the occassional "statistic" thrown out by anti-abortionists either way.

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2002 :  10:42:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Agree, TD. This would have shown up a long ago. There is yet another factor to consider: women who give birth, but don't breast feed. They mostly seem to do ok.

It is irresponsible of Dr. Brind to make such a statement, especally if he can come up with no, scientific documentation.

I do not believe that Rick's wife's odds are any worse than before the unfortunate miscarrage. I think that the American Cancer Institute is a much better authority than Dr. Brind and whatever tabloid he might have published in.

luck,

f

The more I learn about people, the better I like rattlesnakes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.