Just so's ya know...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  09:12:22  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Just so's ya know, here is what we are up against. Ergo lied of course when he said that I call people trolls when I don't agree with them or am loosing an argument. We all know that isn't true. But even that accusation is consistent with his trolling behavior. Ergo is a classic troll.

http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp

quote:
• An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

A classic CureZone troll is trying to make us believe that he is a skeptic. He is divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him. Troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them.

While he tries to present himself as a skeptic looking for truth ... his messages usually sound as if it is the responsibility of other forum members to provide evidence that what forum is all about is legitimate science.

http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm#WIAT

quote:
Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise). You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.

quote:
The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls.

When you try to reason with a troll, he wins. When you insult a troll, he wins. When you scream at a troll, he wins. The only thing that trolls can't handle is being ignored.

quote:
Trolls crave attention, and they care not whether it is positive or negative. They see the Internet as a mirror into which they can gaze in narcissistic rapture.

We get all kinds of course, and have dealt with disruptive persons in various ways. But to my thinking, we have only had to deal with one other out an out troll (latinijral) even though there have been those who have come close.

There are only two "cures" for this kind of assault on our forum, and as you know, we resist banning…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  12:23:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I can't see how that could be written any clearer. We all know who you're talking about. So I'll shape up and stop being such a god-damned troll.

There comes a time in every troll's life, when he must just look at the forum he's disrupted, nod proudly, and say, "My work here is done."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

ergo123
BANNED

USA
810 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  13:49:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ergo123 a Private Message
I didn't lie, kil. There is a difference between lying and being mistaken. But you must know that at your age. Why did you blur the two here? In my post of 11/17, I said, in response to your comment of ““Don't feed the troll...”:
“Kil, why do you seem to call anyone you do not agree with a Troll? The more I read other threads on this site, the more predictable you people are...
My observations to date regarding what certain people do here when they are proven wrong:
kil: Calls the person proving him wrong a Troll…”

Anyway, I did look through the longer threads here again and did not find multiple instances where kil called people a troll. So my observations resulted in an invalid perception—my bad.

But the pseudo-definitions you posted of a troll are interesting. You clearly have defined me as a troll. And aside from the obvious, intentional, de-humanizing aspect of such a label, it requires quite a leap of faith on your part, kil.

An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer.
What makes my posts any more outrageous than those of others you do not label as a troll?

Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums.
What evidence do you have that I am sowing discord on the forum? Then, what further evidence do you have that I delight in it?

A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.
While I encourage people to continue discussion when they stop at a point when they are poised for defeat, those discussions are not flaming discussions—they are content oriented.

A classic CureZone troll is trying to make us believe that he is a skeptic.
Doesn't everyone on the forum claim they are a skeptic and thus, is trying (or at one point in time, tried) to make us believe they are a skeptic?

He is divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him.
This describes the behavior of nearly all the regulars here. The difference here is that I believe something you don't.

Troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them. Again, this is a tactic used by most of the regulars here—and it is a valid tactic in debate.

While he tries to present himself as a skeptic looking for truth ... his messages usually sound as if it is the responsibility of other forum members to provide evidence that what forum is all about is legitimate science.
While I did ask for help of this kind, I never suggested it was the responsibility of anyone to help me.

Trolls are utterly impervious to criticism (constructive or otherwise).
Then it is clear I am not a troll as I have bowed to criticisms here and have used feedback from members to adjust my research focus.

You cannot negotiate with them; you cannot cause them to feel shame or compassion; you cannot reason with them. They cannot be made to feel remorse. For some reason, trolls do not feel they are bound by the rules of courtesy or social responsibility.
They probably drink the blood of children, too, right?

No witty quotes. I think for myself.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  15:32:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I think GK Paul fit this definition even better than ergo.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  15:51:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

I think GK Paul fit this definition even better than ergo.

My suggestion is to ignore him then.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  07:18:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Latinijral, now there was a type. What a great couple of threads he gave .

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  11:32:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I thought GK was more of a proselytizer than a troll. Proselytizers think they are doing good, trolls know they aren't.

I've ignored the ergo threads anyway. Anyone arguing ad nauseum for a CT of the US gov involvement in the 9/11 attack other than purposeful neglect vs incompetent neglect (I favor incompetence but leave open the possibility of purposeful) beyond a page or two is likely only repeating the same arguments by that time.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  15:41:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
ergo(liar)123 is absolutely a troll.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.