AIG schism
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  19:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Read some of the latest developments at Jim Lippard's Blog. I'm not fully "up" on the whole story, but obviously there's massive trouble in paradise, and it's the damn Americans causing it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  20:06:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Hovind in jail, AiG breaking up, courts ruling that ID is bunk. Things are certainly looking up.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  01:42:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
it shows that Ken Ham's Answers in Genesis is as sleazy in its business dealings as it is in its misrepresentations of science.
So a liar is a liar is a liar. No surprise there.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  03:21:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I've been casually keeping track of this for some time. Ham gave the Ozzies a royal screwing without even the courtesy of a reach-around.

From John Stear's NAiG site:
quote:
What's in a name?
John Stear, March 2006 (revised May 2006)

The Australian ministry of Answers in Genesis (AiG) has changed its name to Creation Ministries International (CMI) and has created a new web site, Creation On The Web. Before commenting further, a brief history of AiG might be helpful.

The first creationist organisation in Australia was begun in 1977 using the name Creation Science Association (CSA). In 1979/80 CSA combined with a Queensland group and became Creation Science Foundation Ltd (CSF). In 1987 Ken Ham was seconded by CSF to work with an American organisation Institute for Creation Research (ICR). In 1996 CSF assisted Ken Ham to form an independent ministry in the US which was initially called Creation Science Ministries but, on 10 November 1997, along with CSF, it changed its name to Answers in Genesis (AiG).

AiG, which incorporated the Australian, UK and New Zealand ministries, enjoyed an harmonious relationship with its Australian counterpart. Indeed, according to CMI, the US arm of AiG relied heavily on the Australian creationists for much of its content. Now, a little over eight years later, the Australian ministry of Answers in Genesis (AiG) has changed its name to Creation Ministries International (CMI). AiG is now AiG-USA with affiliations only with AiG-UK.

While on the surface this might appear to be a simple strategic move, when one looks closely at the way CMI has reacted it becomes apparent there is more to it than meets the eye. On their new web site (scroll down to "Brief History") CMI states -

And so forth.

Ham is Hovind without the hysteria; Baugh with a bigger budget. In short, a cheap grifter writ large. I look forward to visiting his new museum, that was helpfully financed with so many Australian dollars. I'm sure that, while entertaining, it will be, like Creationism itself, anything but scientifically enlightening.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  13:24:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Glad to see you posting again, Filthy. Your un-announced hiatus gave me a scare.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  14:02:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Glad to see you posting again, Filthy. Your un-announced hiatus gave me a scare.

Bad luck and old injuries, Doc. And then, whilst dealing with all that, I got home top discover that my phone line had gone down for no apparent reason -- did I ever mention how much I hate telephones and the companies owning the lines? Took two days to get them started on straightening that out. I'm on a temporary line now, the permanent to be put in in the next couple of weeks.

The next hiatus might be because I've shot a phone company executive, sown his lands with salt, sold his wretched and accursed family into slavery, and used the proceeds of that sale to pay my phone bill.

But until then....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2006 :  14:34:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Welcome back, Fil! I, too, was beginning to worry about you.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.