New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  05:13:04  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Ok, I can understand why an ex-president should have a library. I can further grasp that this library should, not be a mere book repository, but a tribute to that person's time in office and a symbol of his legacy. It also might serve as a place where people of similar bent as that departed politician could meet and conspire discuss their various philosophies. But in the final analysis, it's still a library; a place of letters.

So, George the Lesser's gonna have hisself one; a great, ol' big 'un!
quote:
W library in record book

$500M center would be priciest for a Prez

BY THOMAS M. DeFRANK
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU CHIEF

WASHINGTON - He may be a certified lame duck now, but President Bush and his truest believers are about to launch their final campaign - an eye-popping, half-billion-dollar drive for the Bush presidential library.

Eager to begin refurbishing his tattered legacy, the President hopes to raise $500 million to build his library and a think tank at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. Bush lived in Dallas until he was elected governor of Texas in 1995.

Bush sources with direct knowledge of library plans told the Daily News that SMU and Bush fund-raisers hope to get half of the half billion from what they call "megadonations" of $10 million to $20 million a pop.

Bush loyalists have already identified wealthy heiresses, Arab nations and captains of industry as potential "mega" donors and are pressing for a formal site announcement - now expected early in the new year.

"You can't ask people in Dallas for $20 million until they can be sure the library won't be in Waco," one Bush source noted.

The rest of the cash will come from donors willing to pony up $25,000 to $5 million.

Now friends, this brings up some questions. I mean, the guy has virtually stated that he doesn't read a whole lot, an exception being the book he was reading aloud to children during the WTC disaster on 9/11/21 -- something to do with a goat, as I recall, that he just couldn't put down. So, putting the think-tank part aside as a contradiction in terms, the main question might be: what literature will grace it's shelves?

Shall I make some suggestions? Sure, why not...?

A Confederacy of Dunces
The Complete Works of Rush Limbaugh
The Complete Works of Bill O'Reilly
The Boy in a Bubble
The Joys of Cocaine
Zen and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance
The World Encyclopedia of Pretzels
God Touched Me (and I'm calling the cops)
Islam Explained: A Tutorial for the Complete Idiot
The Wit and Wisdom of George W. Bush, A Phrase of Profundity.
Firearms Safety
-- this one to be found in the Cheney Wing

And finally, to lend the whole thing a big chunk of class: The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

Perhaps others might have some suggestions and would like to put them forth. They would be rendering a public service to do so because, after all, we don't want this super-expensive endeavor to become some sort of joke, do we? No, we certainly do not. This library must reflect Bush's time in office with accuracy, and any and all assistance from the public is vital to that end.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  06:36:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Bartholomew and the Oobleck
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  08:39:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
Instead of a Think Tank - A Hallucinatory Voices in my Head Tank

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

A Confederacy of Dunces
The Complete Works of Rush Limbaugh
The Complete Works of Bill O'Reilly
The Boy in a Bubble
The Joys of Cocaine
Zen and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance
The World Encyclopedia of Pretzels
God Touched Me (and I'm calling the cops)
Islam Explained: A Tutorial for the Complete Idiot
The Wit and Wisdom of George W. Bush, A Phrase of Profundity.
Firearms Safety
-- this one to be found in the Cheney Wing

There is a book in the Dummies series called Islam for Dummies
I think they should include the whole Dummies series.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  10:54:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Learning to Read for Dummies.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  16:49:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
I'm not sure what books they will be stocking it with, but I bet a large part of the $500 million will go towards crayons.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  17:18:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie!

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  17:55:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
A complete collection of Mad Magazine from the '50s on, if that wouldn't bust the budget (it'd probably be worth more than the rest of the library, but he has lots o' rich friends).

Puttin' On the Schlitz might be a good one.

And To Kill a Bullfrog, to remind him of his happy childhood.

And in the video section, all of the Three Stooges epics as well as Plan Nine From outer Space.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  18:57:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Isn't it an obvious sign of a declining culture when failed leaders start getting monuments built to them before they are dead?

Doesn't anyone besides me think it is in incredibly poor taste to build monements to living people?

And if W were to have a monument built to him, it should be an illustration of things you should not do while president.

I'll be visiting this if it ever gets built, and pissing on the front steps.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  20:01:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
I'll be visiting this if it ever gets built, and pissing on the front steps.

Alright, the Bush presidential urinal it is.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  20:34:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I haven't been ignoring this thread. It's just that I cannot come up with anything funnier or more absurd than the basic premise of building a half-billion-dollar monument to the Worse President, Ever.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  21:17:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Isn't it an obvious sign of a declining culture when failed leaders start getting monuments built to them before they are dead?

Doesn't anyone besides me think it is in incredibly poor taste to build monements to living people?
Dude, it is not at all unusual for a president to have a library build after his term. George H. W. Bush and William J. Clinton both have libraries, and they are still alive and kicking. It's not considered a memorial, but an Archive.
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  21:35:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message

In SMU did Dubya Bush
A stately reading dome decree:
Where unread reams of paper ran
From brain cells measureless to man
Down to posterity.

(with apologies to Coleridge)

- TW
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  21:43:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Very nicely played, tw! The original is one of my favorites in poetry.

Brings to mind Shelley:

OZYMANDIAS of EGYPT

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said:—Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shatter'd visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains: round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/28/2006 21:46:48
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2006 :  21:54:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Ah, but you fail to grasp what they need such an imposing sum.

The kind of security they are going to need to hold all those books and papers that no one will be allowed to read for 100+ years will be staggering.

As for books on the allowable list

"The NRA handbook"
"How to shirk your military duties and still trash a combat veteran on patriotism"
"Dale has two million in a 529 attack group"
"The Religious Right Talking Papers"
"Rush Limbaugh and other drug addicts on hubris"

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  18:17:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.