General Skepticism
 Stop Sylvia Browne
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Master Yoda
Skeptic Friend

59 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  15:53:53  Show Profile Send Master Yoda a Private Message
Robert Lancaster has been working on his site for about four months now. It's just opened, and deserves a plug.
http://www.stopsylvia.com/
"Is she a well-intentioned spiritual leader, with actual psychic powers? Is she a fraud, making money by callously manipulating and using the bereaved? Or is she something else entirely?"

@Kil, @atomic - I posted a link in the links section; I hope it's approved. He's an even-handed researcher and has chosen this time to take on the Queen, herself! With the biased sycophant coverage she gets from the likes of Montel and Larry King, he's got a tough row to hoe.(Kil - you may have seen him at TAM....)

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  18:26:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Cool!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  18:28:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I suspect that the only thing that would "stop" Sylvia Browne is an explosive harpoon. But I'd love to hear other ideas!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  21:43:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Lets try calling her a terrorist.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  22:03:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

Lets try calling her a terrorist.

Ah! The old trick that Dembski once pulled on a scientist, eh? That got herpetologist Eric Pianka grilled by the FBI as a suspected terrorist on Dembski's false accusation. Dembski's a rat scum bastard, in many, many ways.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/30/2006 02:15:43
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  03:27:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I know of Pianka -- most who study herpetology do -- but I hadn't heard about Dembski's sleezy back-stabbing. Browne & Dembski make a good pair, eh? Liars in twain; soulmates in scumbaggery.

At the risk of pissing off a lot of people (like I care), I agree with Pianka. We are eating, fornicating, and defecating ourselves off the face of the earth.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2006 :  09:01:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
To add to the Sylvia Brown crap:

Here are two clips of that toad, Sylvia Brown, caught bullshitting grieving people on the Montel Williams show. Even with that fucking idiot Montel trying to help her out, she still sucks.

http://www.break.com/index/sylvia_brown_worlds_worst_psychic.html

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2007 :  04:42:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
From the BA Blog
Sylvia Browns lawyers have sent Robert Lancaster a letter with various complaints about trademarks & infringements.

This is the reply from Robert Lancasters lawyer
You are put on notice that any suit filed without basis will be met with a vigorous defense that will take full advantage of California's anti-SLAPP law and include motions for legal fees and sanctions. In such suit, this letter will be produced as evidence that your clients were aware that no grounds existed for any lawsuit. You are also put on notice that it may be a breach of ethics for a lawyer to prosecute a case knowing that it has no footing in law and knowing that it is being used to harass the defendant.

Fixed BA blog link.

Kil

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.