Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Al Qaeda plot to destroy trading databases?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  16:30:47  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This just now splashed across the top of CNN.com's Web site: "Homeland Security warns al Qaeda plans to attack and destroy databases of U.S. stock market and banking Web sites, Reuters reports."

I wonder if there's anything to this? Is Al Qaeda again stealing ideas from Tom Clancy novels, as it did with 9/11? Or has our intelligence been hoaxed? Interesting, either way.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  16:51:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Ah, here's the news item. "... [S]o far uncorroborated," I think, would be the key phrase.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  17:34:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Shee-it! al Qaeda doesn't have to do anything more. Just the thought of them has Homeland Security soiling their skivvies:
quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- The U.S. government has warned U.S. private financial services of an al Qaeda call for a cyber attack against U.S. online stock trading and banking Web sites beginning Friday, officials said Thursday.

The officials - a person familiar with the warning and a spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security - said the Islamic militant group aimed to penetrate and destroy the databases of the U.S. stock market and banking Web sites.

Homeland Security said it had no evidence to corroborate the threat but had issued the warning out of an "abundance of caution." The department said in a statement that the threat was for all of December.

Bolding & emphisis mine.

I really don't see any threat. Do they really think that a few terrorist hackers can beat the cyber secreity of our financial institutions?

Anything to keep up the skeer, that's our news media. If they were even half honest, this "story" would have only seen print in the horoscope section, to be consumed mainly by people who will believe anything.

Morons....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  18:13:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
All it takes is the mention. Then again, setting off a half dozen remote controlled leaky gasoline tanker trucks parked here and there downtown in different financial districts would sure ratchet things up a tad.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  18:26:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

All it takes is the mention. Then again, setting off a half dozen remote controlled leaky gasoline tanker trucks parked here and there downtown in different financial districts would sure ratchet things up a tad.

Nah. That's expensive and complicated. Easier and more economical just to send out a mailing of letters containing a little corn starch. That'll shut 'em down for a few days -- until the next mailing.

I wonder where that anthrax bastard is. I hope he got killed by his left-over anthrax.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  19:40:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I wonder if there's anything to this? Is Al Qaeda again stealing ideas from Tom Clancy novels, as it did with 9/11? Or has our intelligence been hoaxed? Interesting, either way.

Can't remember the name, but that was the last Tom Clancy book that I read. Too predictable. Of course my favorite was "Without Remorse". We found out what a bad MF John Clark (John T. Kelly) was. Kept me turning pages into the wee hours of the night.
quote:
"Homeland Security warns al Qaeda plans to attack and destroy databases of U.S. stock market and banking Web sites, Reuters reports."

If I recall Clancy right, this was more or less an inside job. From the outside, have at it boys.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  03:44:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
An organized attack could do a bit of damage. Individuals have hacked many bankng institutions already. I wonder what system the trading houses use. Hopefully not Microsoft.

If it's on-line, it's not really secure.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  04:09:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Looks like, according to Reuters "denial of service" attacks. Much easier to carry out. Very bothersome when you need to get something done....

Peace
Joe

edited to fix link
Edited by - Original_Intent on 12/02/2006 09:03:49
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  20:48:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thanks, OI. DoS attacks, eh? We probably have dozens of American hackers trying to do that every day, for no more reward than bragging rights. And I'll bet our hackers are better at it than al Qaeda's.

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  09:06:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
Well:
I bid on ebay.
Bought from Amazon.
Ordered some tool supplies.
Updated my Netflix.
Changed my webpages.
Sent and recieved dozens of emails.
Played Halo.
Posted here.
And did a lot of other web-related things yesterday without a hiccup.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  09:44:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Can't remember the name, but that was the last Tom Clancy book that I read. Too predictable. Of course my favorite was "Without Remorse". We found out what a bad MF John Clark (John T. Kelly) was. Kept me turning pages into the wee hours of the night.
quote:
"Homeland Security warns al Qaeda plans to attack and destroy databases of U.S. stock market and banking Web sites, Reuters reports."

If I recall Clancy right, this was more or less an inside job. From the outside, have at it boys.

They're probably just stealing the plot of Dark Angel.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  16:51:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I really don't see any threat. Do they really think that a few terrorist hackers can beat the cyber secreity of our financial institutions?

The following are stories I've heard from professors, and I have made no attempt to check their accuracy.

A few years ago, a student wrote a virus so that anyone who hooked up to the network on my campus (Virginia Tech) was immediately infected. The only thing the virus did was ping Microsoft's Auto-update site. The result was that Microsoft's auto-update server was off line for over a day.

We also have an auto-grading server called the Curator. We submit code, the curator compiles and runs our code producing a grade report. One student wrote an infinite loop that constantly pinged "localhost". He submitted it several ours before it was due, the result being that the server would not respond to anyone else, forcing the grading to be delayed by a day or two.

Now the second one is a small server which executes submitted code, so it doesn't really apply to the "real world". But the first was an undergraduate student, took him probably not more than a day, and he was able to take down one of the most popular servers in the country.

Now imagine someone is able to take down a popular bank's server or the stock market. Even if it was down for less than a hour, it would cause havoc.

Granted, those servers probably a lot more secure, even than Microsoft's servers. But there is no such thing as fool proof, not even close.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 12/02/2006 16:52:48
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2006 :  19:47:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
I agree 100%, which is one of the reasons I am so adamatly oppossed to any form of electronic voting.

The biggest problem facing electronic commerce (on the bank end) is the lack of proaction by the people running the servers, especially where MS servers are concerned. The seond biggest are the individuals who own computers but don't know a thing about security, or viruses.

DOS attacks have taken down some big sites. A couple have taken down huge sites simutaneosly and clogged the internet for everyone else.

It dose appear they are getting a bit better at securing things.

I have long thought that any computer that serves out a virus or a worm, or takes part in a denial of service attack when the "cure" has been availale should have it's MAC address banned by the ISP, and that the ISP should share these MAC addresses. Want to hook yourself up again, either pay a $50 fine, or buy and install a new NIC card.

I realize that MAC addresses can be spoofed, but you can't really spoof it to the ISP as far as I know.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  05:42:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

The following are stories I've heard from professors, and I have made no attempt to check their accuracy.

A few years ago, a student wrote a virus so that anyone who hooked up to the network on my campus (Virginia Tech) was immediately infected. The only thing the virus did was ping Microsoft's Auto-update site. The result was that Microsoft's auto-update server was off line for over a day.

We also have an auto-grading server called the Curator. We submit code, the curator compiles and runs our code producing a grade report. One student wrote an infinite loop that constantly pinged "localhost". He submitted it several ours before it was due, the result being that the server would not respond to anyone else, forcing the grading to be delayed by a day or two.

Now the second one is a small server which executes submitted code, so it doesn't really apply to the "real world". But the first was an undergraduate student, took him probably not more than a day, and he was able to take down one of the most popular servers in the country.

Now imagine someone is able to take down a popular bank's server or the stock market. Even if it was down for less than a hour, it would cause havoc.

Granted, those servers probably a lot more secure, even than Microsoft's servers. But there is no such thing as fool proof, not even close.

Ping attacks are predicted these days (because they're oh-so-easy to do) and most servers (even Microsoft ones!) are prepared for it. I've done that myself. It's easy.

Now, consider if someone managed to obtain access to the higher-level, critical data... now, that is my type of attack.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.