Purpose
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skeptic griggsy
Skeptic Friend

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  05:32:58  Show Profile  Visit skeptic griggsy's Homepage Send skeptic griggsy a Private Message
There is no ultimate purpose- no god had us in mind, begging the question and contradictory to selection. We need no ultimate purpose , divine love or future state. Our eathly purposes,human love and only life suffice.Defender of evolution ,Catholic, Francisco Ayala , avers that the religious need God to overcome dread and to get a purpose. Such need counselling and we are our own purposes.We are not the pets of some god who gives them purpose.

Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism. Logic is the bane of theists.Religion is mythinformation. Reason saves, not a dead Galilean fanatic.

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  06:06:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
There is purpose, but it is the purpose we make out of life. If someone wants to believe that came from a higher power, why should we care?

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  10:57:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
The ultimate purpose is to complete the ten million year program and find out what the Ultimate Question is, duh.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  11:03:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulos23

There is purpose, but it is the purpose we make out of life. If someone wants to believe that came from a higher power, why should we care?

In some cases we should. If they think that there purpose is to serve us in congress or as a judge or the president and then tries to force their god down our throats because god put them there, then we should definitely care. We should care about teaching critical thinking to everyone around us so that the decisions those people make are based on that thinking. If someone wants a feel good belief that has nothing to do with the decisions they make daily, then I'm good with that.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Edited by - Neurosis on 12/08/2006 11:04:55
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  12:33:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
If someone wants a feel good belief that has nothing to do with the decisions they make daily, then I'm good with that.

I would agree, but I that belief does influence decisions, even if just a little.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2006 :  13:07:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:
If someone wants a feel good belief that has nothing to do with the decisions they make daily, then I'm good with that.

I would agree, but I that belief does influence decisions, even if just a little.

Yes, that is the problem isn't it. It is hard to have a belief (any belief) that doesn't impact your decisions a little.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.