Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  06:40:54  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Link

quote:
Liberal and progressive Christian groups say a new computer game in which players must either convert or kill non-Christians is the wrong gift to give this holiday season and that Wal-Mart, a major video game retailer, should yank it off its shelves.

"It's an incredibly violent video game," said Stevens. "Sure, there is no blood. (The dead just fade off the screen.) But you are mowing down your enemy with a gun. It pushes a message of religious intolerance. You can either play for the 'good side' by trying to convert nonbelievers to your side or join the Antichrist."

Players can choose to join the Antichrist's team, but of course they can never win on Carpathia's side. The enemy team includes fictional rock stars and folks with Muslim-sounding names, while the righteous include gospel singers, missionaries, healers and medics. Every character comes with a life story.

When asked about the Arab and Muslim-sounding names, Frichner said the game does not endorse prejudice. But "Muslims are not believers in Jesus Christ" -- and thus can't be on Christ's side in the game.

"That is so obvious," he said.

...Plugged In, a publication of the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family, gave the game a "thumbs-up." The reviewer called it "the kind of game that Mom and Dad can actually play with Junior -- and use to raise some interesting questions along the way."

Merry Christmas!

On a side note, why would there be any religious right people left AFTER the rapture?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

Edited by - pleco on 12/14/2006 06:44:58

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  06:46:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That's outright fucking fascism. No nicer way to put it. Which is probably why WalMart carries it.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  07:06:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Review the history of the Christian Church(s), and you will see nothing out of the ordinary in this silly game. It is merely fantasizing nostalgically about the good ol' days.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  09:05:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Review the history of the Christian Church(s), and you will see nothing out of the ordinary in this silly game. It is merely fantasizing nostalgically about the good ol' days.

You can thank Zoroaster for all this nonsense. He's the ancient Persian prophet who came up with the idea of a good god (Ahura Mazda) who fights with a bad god (Ahriman) for control of the cosmos. That struggle was supposedly reflected on Earth, and people were expected to support one side or the other. Ultimately the good god would engage the evil one in a great and final battle. The good god was expected to win and his supporters would enjoy eternal bliss. (Sounds oddly familiar...).

These ideas are supposed to have influenced the ancient Israelites while in captivity in Babylon. Certain Jewish sects incorperated these beliefs with their own, and they ultimately influenced the early Christians who took it all to heart.

Unfortunately this mind-set encourages an "us vs. them" attitude, where we are "good" and they are "evil" and need to be converted or killed (for their own good and the good of the world, of course). Most polytheistic religions were very tolerant of other people's gods, even adopting the gods of their vanquished enemies so as not to piss tham off too much. If you already have a bunch, whats a few more?

I find it interesting that one of the main criticisms of the early church was that they were intolerent of other faiths. This was seen as a danger to the cohesiveness of the Empire. The Christians objected, but within a few decades of gaining control, they outlawed all other religions. Then the Empire collapsed. Oops.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Edited by - leoofno on 12/14/2006 09:06:18
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  09:11:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

On a side note, why would there be any religious right people left AFTER the rapture?
This game was written by the same people who wrote the Left Behind series (entertaining books, by the way; a little like A Series of Unfortunate Events). In the book, a large number of people are converted after the Rapture, either because they had a close friend of family member who was raptured, or they knew but didn't fully believe before hand.

The writers claim the message "convert or die" is not part of the game. They feel that, since there is no blood or gore, the violence is acceptible and family-oriented.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  09:46:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Man that is really funny, "Jesus loves you", blam, blam blam!. Of course the anti-christ is the secretary-general of the United Nations. You can't make this shit up.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  09:52:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
In the book, a large number of people are converted after the Rapture, either because they had a close friend of family member who was raptured, or they knew but didn't fully believe before hand.

Ah, didn't think about any converting after the fact. I'm pretty sure if a bunch of people who all happen to be christians dissapear at the same time there is a loud horn blowing that everyone on the planet can hear, I'll be converting too.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  10:18:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
You're either with us or against us. Isn't that the prevailing fundie/neocon ideal these days? You could substitute non-Chistian for Terrorist and you'd have the same game. The game is an American zeitgeist.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

annie - spannie

United Kingdom
1 Post

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  12:23:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send annie - spannie a Private Message
i think whoever came up with this concept is a total idiot, that is not what christianity is about and if they are christian i hope they are 100% ashamed of themselves!!!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  12:33:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by annie - spannie

i think whoever came up with this concept is a total idiot, that is not what christianity is about and if they are christian i hope they are 100% ashamed of themselves!!!

Right on!

And welcome to SFN, annie - spannie!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  12:54:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by annie - spannie

Indeed, but they are not ashamed of themselves. Not at all. They are making money on the game as well as spreading antagonism toward all other religions as well as non-believers. If, as noted, Tim LaHay had a hand in it, it reflects exactly his idea of Christianity.

Welcome to SFN, annie - spannie!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  16:57:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:

Ah, didn't think about any converting after the fact. I'm pretty sure if a bunch of people who all happen to be christians dissapear at the same time there is a loud horn blowing that everyone on the planet can hear, I'll be converting too.

It's an interesting issue.

In my opinion, it's so far from likely, that I'm not sure I really can think about it in a detached and rational sense.

However, in this situation I'd like to think I'd say a big:

"Up yours!" to the God who set things up in such an ass-backwards manner,
"You don't deserve my worship, even though you've now at least proved your existence".

But if eternity were at stake, I might fold, I dunno. Of couse, a real omnipotent god would know I was only converting to maximize my comfort thorughout eternity, and I'd be screwed anyway. (or not, as would probably be the case in hell)

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  17:04:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
In my opinion, it's so far from likely, that I'm not sure I really can think about it in a detached and rational sense.

No doubt, but if it did happen, I think that constitutes some pretty solid proof for the existance of god (and a particular one at that), which is all I've ever asked for (though I know "almost" for sure I will never ever get.)

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

lpecucci

6 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  17:19:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit lpecucci's Homepage Send lpecucci a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

quote:

It's an interesting issue.

However, in this situation I'd like to think I'd say a big:

"Up yours!" to the God who set things up in such an ass-backwards manner,
"You don't deserve my worship, even though you've now at least proved your existence".

But if eternity were at stake, I might fold, I dunno. Of couse, a real omnipotent god would know I was only converting to maximize my comfort thorughout eternity, and I'd be screwed anyway. (or not, as would probably be the case in hell)

Yeah,what a rub....
god: "You only converted to save yourself!"
me: "Naw,man....that wasnt on my mind.."
god: "who d'ya think yer talkin to,kid?"

religion makes my brain hurt.....
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  17:42:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
And thus, we again run headlong, smack into Pascal's Gambit. Again.

Dig it, if god can't tell if you are sincere or merely covering your ass, he/she/it is not omnipotent and really too stupid to be deserving of worship. From there it follows that he/she/it is not likely to have the intellect nor the talent to have created the universe, so, that leaves us with... hell.... I dunno.... what? A myth, mayhap?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  18:09:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Yeah, but everyone is covering their ass to one degree or the other...since there is a slightly negative consequence to not subjecting...

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.