New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  13:47:59  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The marks, that is, not the psychics. Psychics aren't exactly qualified for MENSA either, but they possess a primitive cunning that allows them to viciously prey upon the really stupid. Like this unfortunate soul:
quote:
BOULDER, Colo. -- A Montana man who gave a woman $170,000 as he tried to rid himself of "bad karma" that the psychic said was ruining his love life filed a lawsuit to get his money back.

It wasn't clear whether Timothy John Strating, whose hometown was not immediately available, claims the services from Natalie Roberts, previously from Longmont, were unsatisfactory.

According the lawsuit filed in Boulder District Court last week, Strating met Roberts in 2003, when he initially gave her $400 when she told him the "bad karma" was the reason he'd never had a successful relationship with a woman.

Just weeks later, he gave her $11,000, the lawsuit said.

The lawsuit claims that Roberts told Strating she needed thousands in cash and merchandise to help him, and that she promised not to spend it.

In one instance, Roberts asked Strating to give her $22,000 to "raise his energy level," while another time she asked for $30,000 because her daughter had been "contaminated" with his bad karma, the lawsuit claims. The Daily Times Call also said that Strating allegedly bought clothing and other items for Roberts' daughter, which she promised to pay back.
There is some really creative blood-sucking here, including this, little gem -- now, a new favorite of mine:
quote:
The lawsuit claims Roberts also told Strating that his time was out of balance and the only cure was to purchase a $5,000 watch, which she told him she would hold in trust for him, but that he would not be allowed to see because it would keep him from balancing his time.

I mean, really..., has this guy managed to at least keep his shirt? And if so, does he have it on right-side-out?

[Moved to the General Skepticism folder - Dave W.]

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2006 :  14:13:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That guy has to be one of the dumbest marks, ever!

Got me thinking: Every since PT Barnum understated of suckers, "there's one born every minute," his name has been associated with flimflammery as though he were the Satan Himself of all con artists. Yet Barnum's humbuggery was focused upon the entertainment side of the coin. He wasn't a con artist in terms of someone who would take a sucker for all he was worth. Instead of fleecing individuals mercilessly, Barnum went for the mass market. He was the Henry Ford of fakers. Like a well-evolved parasite (or any good entertainer), he only charged a little, and gave back a sense of wonder.

And Barnum treated the people who worked for him well. In hard times, his "freaks" remembered and helped him get by.

This psychic you refer to is predatory and should be jailed. Her victim is a moron, who needs education in critical thinking, and a psychiatric exam.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  06:24:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
How the hell do people this stupid get that much money in the first place?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  07:45:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
"A fool and his money ..."

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.