Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  11:43:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent:
It takes will to supress, and we are all chemical beings without free-will and the body decided to react to the choke before the event causing the chocking even happened.

eh, wrong thread......

I would say the director and/or the producer were unprofessional/ill-prepared.... However, I don't think I would place the blame on the anchor. They did try to cut to the images (if the swrching wasn't scripted), but left her audio on.

Peace
Joe
They are all at fault; however, you cannot absolve the anchor of responsibility.

Another example, although a litle more extreme: a Naval Officer starts choking and coughing during a ship's casualty. If he or she cannot get the correct orders out, people will die. Nobody will say, "oh, poor guy; it's not his fault!" Anybody with the responsibily to communicate clealy in a high-pressure situation has to be able to supress those instincts to get the job done.

Also, your refusal to answer my simple question is beginning to annoy me. I will ask it a third time:
quote:
Originally posted by Boron10:
Why do you seem to think it would be worse for a Fox news reporter to display a lack of professionalism than for an MSNBC reporter?
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  16:27:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Boron10

quote:
It takes will to supress, and we are all chemical beings without free-will and the body decided to react to the choke before the event causing the chocking even happened.

eh, wrong thread......

I would say the director and/or the producer were unprofessional/ill-prepared.... However, I don't think I would place the blame on the anchor. They did try to cut to the images (if the swrching wasn't scripted), but left her audio on.

Peace
Joe
They are all at fault; however, you cannot absolve the anchor of responsibility.

Another example, although a litle more extreme: a Naval Officer starts choking and coughing during a ship's casualty. If he or she cannot get the correct orders out, people will die. Nobody will say, "oh, poor guy; it's not his fault!" Anybody with the responsibily to communicate clealy in a high-pressure situation has to be able to supress those instincts to get the job done.

Also, your refusal to answer my simple question is beginning to annoy me. I will ask it a third time:
quote:
Originally posted by Boron10:
Why do you seem to think it would be worse for a Fox news reporter to display a lack of professionalism than for an MSNBC reporter?

Maybe because I still don't see it as a lack of professionalism on the anchors fault. Maybe it was, and she could have suppressed it, maybe it was overwhelming.... Same goes for Naval Officers, and we'll add firefighters to the mix.

Will helps, and honing ones will is neccessary. However, no matter how much you hone will, some things are overwhelming.

My point with Fox is so many people hate them with such conviction, they will look for any reason to critisize them.

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  16:42:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

Maybe you weren't watching the news in the 80's, but I remember a lot about the Iran/Iraq war, and the Israeli's destroying the nuclear reactor. Mustard gas on the Iranians and chemical weapons agaisnt the Kurds..... Though I can't recall the timeline on these....

Peace
Joe

I cut out a 1 or 2 paragraph article from the paper back then which described a huge swath of dead bodies from one of those charges into the line of slaughter. The Iranians were sending children as the men were dying faster than they could be replaced.

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2006 :  18:33:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Maybe because I still don't see it as a lack of professionalism on the anchors fault. Maybe it was, and she could have suppressed it, maybe it was overwhelming.... Same goes for Naval Officers, and we'll add firefighters to the mix.
Interesting. Perhaps if somebody doesn't have the physical ability to do her job, she should find another.
quote:
Will helps, and honing ones will is neccessary. However, no matter how much you hone will, some things are overwhelming.
Please see above.
quote:
My point with Fox is so many people hate them with such conviction, they will look for any reason to critisize them.
I see your point now. I feel compelled to note that much of the Fox News criticism I have seen has been quite justified; unfortunately, I haven't seen much criticism of other newschannels for comparison, so you might be on to something here.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  09:32:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Boron10

quote:

Interesting. Perhaps if somebody doesn't have the physical ability to do her job, she should find another.
quote:

LOL. Now that is a novel idea. Can we apply that to 100lb firefighters who can't pull a ladder off a truck too, please.........
Please see above.

quote:
quote:
I see your point now. I feel compelled to note that much of the Fox News criticism I have seen has been quite justified; unfortunately, I haven't seen much criticism of other newschannels for comparison, so you might be on to something here.

I am not trying to say that Fox dosen't deserve most of the criticism it gets. Some of the others don't get the criticism they deserve...... I don't think most people give the criticism that all news needs. They will not let it challenge their assumptions and thoughts, and just move on... 3,000 dead in Iraq, Oh crap the Bengals lost, maybe next year. Representative Doe was caught today bilking the taxpayer.... Britanny and Paris did what, can you believe it...... I long for the days were reporters reported the facts without personal comment from them, or the producers who slip it on the teleprompter, and news had, well, more news.

Peace
Joe

edited: Strikethroughs and bold.
Edited by - Original_Intent on 01/01/2007 09:38:33
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2007 :  13:33:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
LOL. Now that is a novel idea. Can we apply that to 100lb firefighters who can't pull a ladder off a truck too, please.........
Yes. Excerpt from the Eastside Fire & Rescue application in Washington State (bolding mine):
quote:
Strength and Agility Minimum Requirements - FIREFIGHTER
CLAUSTROPHOBIA: Applicant crawls into a confined space (piping) and performs tasks as assigned. You cannot proceed if you fail.
ACROPHOBIA: Participants must climb a ladder extended to 100' and perform assigned tasks. You cannot proceed if you fail.
BEAM WALK: Participant stands at one end of a 20-foot beam. Carrying a 25-pound weight, the applicant must continuously walk the length of the beam without falling off.
PULL-UPS: Participant must grasp the chin-up bar with palms facing away from the body. With the arms fully extended, the counting begins as the chin passes the bar. The counting of each chin-up continues until the hands leave the bar.
SQUATS: Participant must perform squats with 90 pounds of weight on their back.
BICEPS CURLS: Participant must perform curls with 60 pounds of weight.
INCLINE SHOULDER PRESS: Participant must press 60 pounds of weight.
LAT PULLS: Participant must pull 70 pounds in this event.

FLEXIBILITY: While sitting with legs extended, participant must reach and hold their toes.
ABDOMINAL CURL UPS: The participant, lying on the back with knees bent (unsupported) must continuously reach their knees. Measurement is taken as the palms pass the knees. Applicant must do as many reps as possible in one minute.
ONE-MILE RUN: Participant must run a mile for time.
Did you bring up the Fireman example to watch me jump through the hoop of finding this reference? Do you honestly think that Firemen don't have physical standards?
quote:
I am not trying to say that Fox dosen't deserve most of the criticism it gets. Some of the others don't get the criticism they deserve...... I don't think most people give the criticism that all news needs. They will not let it challenge their assumptions and thoughts, and just move on... 3,000 dead in Iraq, Oh crap the Bengals lost, maybe next year. Representative Doe was caught today bilking the taxpayer.... Britanny and Paris did what, can you believe it...... I long for the days were reporters reported the facts without personal comment from them, or the producers who slip it on the teleprompter, and news had, well, more news.
I agree completely. Unfortunately, I don't think I have ever seen these "days were [sic] reporters reported the facts without personal comment."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.