Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  07:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:
One would be sex. A fundamentalist christian will not want to have sex before marriage

That is a myth.

Sure, there are some people who abide by that old rule and don't have premarital sex, but the majority (probably a large majority too) of people are to busy boning/getting boned to pay much attention to that rule.

Remember the study done on teens who took that "virginity oath"? It showed that the ones who took the oath were having more, and more varied kinds of, sex than teens who didn't take it.

True. When writing what I did I was having someone in mind who is consistent in her beliefs. In the case you are describing above, it would not be a good match for a different reason. I have an extreme dislike for hypocricy and will not refrain from pointing out to others when they are being inconsistent. I would be very quick to point out that her behavior was not in line with the teachings she held on too, which I can only imagine would put a further strain on the relationship.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  00:10:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
which I can only imagine would put a further strain on the relationship.

Yep.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  18:51:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Master Yoda wrote:
quote:
The real key is whether your beliefs define you or merely a part of you.
I see what you're saying and I agree with much of it. However, I have never dated anyone other than atheists and agnostics, and I don't think I could ever marry a person with religious faith. But I also do not feel that my atheism defines me. It is a part of me - a big part - but it does not define who I am. I have religious friends and family who are very close to me, and I cultivate religious tolerance and respect for non-fundamentalist religious beliefs. But for me marriage is such a deeply intimate relationship, and my philosophy preoccupies so much of my thoughts, I simply can't imagine being life partners with someone whose worldview was profoundly different from mine. It would feel like we couldn't share something that I feel life-partners should share. Of course this is just my humble view, and this is sort of easy for me to say considering that male freethinkers far outnumber female freethinkers.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.