How cool is this?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  13:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Just so you know, our very own (well almost very own since she does post on other boards) beskeptigal had a paper chosen for the paper presentation day at TAM5. That is no small thing. Her presentation is called Cracking the Language Code –
Uncovering Secret Messages You Didn't Know You Were Sending

Congratulations are in order.

How cool is that? An SFN regular speaking at TAM!

Good going beskeptigal!!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  14:57:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Woohoo! Way to go Be!

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  18:54:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Congratulations beskeptigal. Could you possibly give us a quick summary of the piece? Or no spoilers till after TAM?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  21:22:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Super-duper congratulations to B! Another salute to your irresistible force of scholarship.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2007 :  23:47:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
Congratulations B'Gal - any chance of seeing at least an abstract?

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  02:05:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hear, hear! Well done, B'gal!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2007 :  10:56:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Congrats Beskeptigal!

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  05:19:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Your compliments are premature. Wait and see that I don't blow it first.

I met the guy who chaired the committee which picked the papers, Dr Ray Hall, UC Fresno Physics prof. And I met Harriet Hall, a retired FP MD who writes a column in Skeptical Inquirer and also will be giving a 20 minute talk. Amazing coincidence but they were in Seattle at the SSSE meeting Phil Plait was supposed to speak at. Dr Hall said there were about 30 papers they picked 8 out of. While that's a compliment, it also makes me more nervous about doing a good job.

Phil couldn't give his talk after all but I did introduce myself. And I assume I'll see him at TAM.

Meeting Ray and Harriet was very helpful. I got to get some specifics clear for the presentation. And Ray gave a nice talk on how the age of the Earth is dated and how 6 branches of science provide correlating evidence of the age. And Harriet and I kind of hit it off talking about other names for alternative medicine.

Also, she invites us to bring up any worthless new products on a forum on Quackwatch. I haven't checked it out yet. I can't believe any of the skeptics had fallen for that product called, Airborne, but they had. I knew that stuff was BS the first time I saw it at the checkout counter at Walgrens. I said something to the clerk about how they shouldn't promote fake products but it went over her head.

Thanks for your kind words. I'll fill you in on the subject a bit more tomorrow, it's late right now. It's on things I have posted about so nothing of great surprise, maybe just a little more polished.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 01/09/2007 05:24:21
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  09:14:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Hey beskeptigal. You know it was Harriet Hall who took on Marshall E. Deutsch at last years TAM over his claim that high cholesterol is not a risk factor for heart disease and other cardiovascular problems.

Nice to see that she is also speaker this year.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  17:44:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I didn't know that but now I have a vague recollection of also seeing her at a microphone confronting the speaker. Wow, I'm going to have to see if that's a false memory or something. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any video from TAM. Where was it I saw the person I'm thinking of? Hmmmm.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  19:27:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I didn't know that but now I have a vague recollection of also seeing her at a microphone confronting the speaker. Wow, I'm going to have to see if that's a false memory or something. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any video from TAM. Where was it I saw the person I'm thinking of? Hmmmm.

Well, I did write about the encounter in the TAM4 Kil Report. Maybe that's what you remember?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  21:06:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
That's it Kil. Rather than a memory of seeing her asking, it was your description of the event. I'll share your excellent Kil report with her next time I email her. She'll be pleased I'm sure.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  22:02:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

That's it Kil. Rather than a memory of seeing her asking, it was your description of the event. I'll share your excellent Kil report with her next time I email her. She'll be pleased I'm sure.

Cool!!!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.