Astronomy
 Even more missing mass...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  10:57:34  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Supermassive blackhole found in small cluster...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6244323.stm

I betcha theres far more rogue small black holes then previously thought as well.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  17:56:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Did you not hear, they found some of the dark matter. But there are also more black holes being found as well. These guys are always saving up the discoveries for these astronomy conferences.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 01/09/2007 17:57:01
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2007 :  12:38:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Right, but they havent IDed what it is, just its mass signiture. Ive always felt it was some form of normal matter that was just not emitting/reflecing enough energy.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  03:13:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
Why's that mean more missing mass? Isn't it supermassive? Forgive my ignorance

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  10:31:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vegeta:
Why's that mean more missing mass? Isn't it supermassive? Forgive my ignorance
I'm not sure I understand your question. This black hole is a member of the largest (most massive) class of black holes in the universe, so it is "supermassive."

Why is this news? (Rhetorical question, answered below)

The galaxy in which this black hole was found is very small; in fact, in all prior examples large black holes in small galaxies get ejected right away. They don't stick around. In this galaxy, however, the black hole seems to be pretty well-situated. His neighbors seem to like him there. Since this was not previously accounted for, it is a considerable amount of mass that was missing from current models of the universe; thus, "missing mass."
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  11:41:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
ahhh, sorry, i misunderstood. I thought you were saying there is more mass missing, not that more missing mass had been found.

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  12:28:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
posted in wrong thread

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Edited by - tomk80 on 01/13/2007 12:48:04
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  13:22:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The cool thing about all this is that it's confirming the wisdom of standard Big Bang cosmology. (Take that, fundamentalists!) To account for the observed speed of universal expansion, astrophysicists have thought for a number of decades that there should be far more mass than had been observed in the universe. It's been very elusive, but almost overnight we're finding indications of much of that "missing" mass that had been theorized, but unobserved.

I'm with BigPapaSmurf: I, too, suspect the missing mass will be accounted for as normal matter and black holes.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  07:23:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Heres even more mass found this week.

Surprise, this weeks missing mass is the 8 new Dwarf Galaxies that were just found orbiting our own. Considering that the survey only did 20% of the sky it is safe to say that close to 40 previously unknown dwarfs may be dancing with the milky way. Also these are the least luminous galaxies ever dectected.

I will say however that this missing mass was expected in the models so it was known but undectectable.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.