Beckham for $250 mill?!?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  19:29:35  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
I'll say at the start: I'm a fan of that sport Americans call soccer. I follow European club soccer (note my avatar), US clus soccer, and international play.

So when I say this, it is not as a typical American who sees soccer as some dumb faux-sport not worth the grass it's played on. But really: how the hell can the Galaxy afford to pay David Beckham $250 million over 5 years?!?

That's twice what guys like Alex Rodriguez make, and he plays in a sport that has to generate way more revenue than US soccer.

What were they thinking? Is it really likely that he will bring in enough money to make it worth their while? Has anyone else heard anyting about this price tag? Or has MLS just sold its soul to the devil?

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  21:01:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
But really: how the hell can the Galaxy afford to pay David Beckham $250 million over 5 years?!?

I am not a big fan of soccer and I don't really know who owns teams or even who Beckham is.
But I don't think that $250 million is very much money when you are talking about an entire galaxy. Hell, I didn't even know our galaxy had a team. I'll bet that the travel cost for an away game is outrageous.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  21:12:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Radio today said a lot of the money was for the value of his name for marketing, like on the Wheaties box. Also he's starting some big kids soccer training camps, like a chain of 'em or something.

Beckham is famous like Gretzky but he's also getting older. Age 31 I guess makes running around a soccer field a bit harder.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 01/11/2007 21:14:14
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  22:04:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Andromeda has turned out to be a whole lot bigger than we'd thought. (Which is sort of shocking, like walking over to some pencil-necked geek sitting in a tavern lounge, insulting the guy, then seeing him stand up, and up, and up, to loom there as a huge mass of muscle and sinew. I hate when that happens.) Anyway, I agree with furshur that we need all the big names we can get for our Galaxy.

Now, will someone please spend a few million explaining this soccer thing?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  23:27:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Isn't the cap for a team like 2 mil? I mean how can they even have Beckham at 5 million alone?

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  00:37:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

Isn't the cap for a team like 2 mil? I mean how can they even have Beckham at 5 million alone?

He'll doubtless need to play for three teams, and be the entire squad for each. This promises some amazing action by Beckham, when one of his teams has to play another.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  01:23:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:

He'll doubtless need to play for three teams, and be the entire squad for each. This promises some amazing action by Beckham, when one of his teams has to play another.

I'll bet $250 million that it was Beckham the Raelians cloned. So, my theory is that the galaxy are actually paying for Beckham AND his clones - and when they attack... Oh, boy!!!

Da da da daaaaaaa daaaaaaaaaa
da da da daaaaaaa daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
da da da daaaaaaa daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
da da da daaaaaaa

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  05:57:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:

The just created a new rule where each team can have one player un-capped. (It's nicknamed the "Beckham Rule") Teams can even "sell" their uncapped slot to another team, so in theory one team can have more than one uncapped player...
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  06:01:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Radio today said a lot of the money was for the value of his name for marketing, like on the Wheaties box. Also he's starting some big kids soccer training camps, like a chain of 'em or something.

Beckham is famous like Gretzky but he's also getting older. Age 31 I guess makes running around a soccer field a bit harder.

I finally heard something like this, too-- his real salary is $9 mill, with the rest just thrown in to show his endorsements and such.

And while he's 31, he still obviously has enough skill to compete in MLS. Hell, Inter Milan's Crespo-- one of my favorites-- is in his early 30's and is a vital part of Serie A's top team.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  08:57:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I'll say at the start: I'm a fan of that sport Americans call soccer. I follow European club soccer (note my avatar), US clus soccer, and international play.

So when I say this, it is not as a typical American who sees soccer as some dumb faux-sport not worth the grass it's played on. But really: how the hell can the Galaxy afford to pay David Beckham $250 million over 5 years?!?

That's twice what guys like Alex Rodriguez make, and he plays in a sport that has to generate way more revenue than US soccer.

What were they thinking? Is it really likely that he will bring in enough money to make it worth their while? Has anyone else heard anyting about this price tag? Or has MLS just sold its soul to the devil?

I never heard of Alex Rodriguez. But I do know who Beckham is. I'm not (US) American.
See my point?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  18:01:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I never heard of Alex Rodriguez. But I do know who Beckham is. I'm not (US) American.
See my point?

I see your point. But that misses the issue: baseball in the States makes way more than soccer. The MLS caps each team at a payroll of ca. $2 million. The Yankees alone have over $100 million in payroll. So unless Beckham alone will turn MLS overnight into a giant money-maker worldwide, I have trouble with the $250 figure.

That said, this article suggests that BSG is right. Beckham's salary is only ca. $9 mill a year (still several times what the rest of the team makes!); the remaining money in the $50-mill-a-year talk is from endorsements and other compensation. On NPR this evening, they said that he will be getting something like 40% of jersey sales world-wide-- something that is one of the major sources of soccer/football income. All Beckham fans will have to replace their old Real duds with new Galaxy ones-- at ca. $80 a shirt! Sell a few of those, and it's easy to see how his non-salary compensation can get into the tens of millions.

Either way, I'm happy to see him in MLS as long as it doesn't break the bank. I hope it works out, and MLS moves up to challenge the rather ratings-challenged NHL in the next few years...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.