The first large-scale city marathon in Japan
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

susanxie
BANNED

China
2 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  20:37:45  Show Profile  Visit susanxie's Homepage Send susanxie a Private Message
The first large-scale city marathon in Japan will be held in Tokyo on 18 February 2007. Some of the world's top runners will be running alongside the general public like in the marathons of New York and London. It is estimated that 25,000 runners will join the show. For more information please see http://www.myjapanphone.com/tokyo_marathon_2007.htm

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  20:46:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I'm suffering from Osteoarthritis in my left hip after a sports injury, and I'm mobile thanks to painkillers and a crutch. I think I'll pass on the marathon...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  22:10:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Welcome to SFN, susanxie! I hadn't known that Japan wasn't caught up in the worldwide marathon craze, but I'm happy to hear that they now are. Such suffering should be spread equally throughout the world, not just confined to Europe and the Americas.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  22:13:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
What an unusual spam....

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  22:41:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The Japanese will, of course, build special Marathon robots to assure that victory goes to the home team.

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  08:39:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The Japanese will, of course, build special Marathon robots to assure that victory goes to the home team.

I was thinking the same thing. Given the obsession of the Japanese to practice every sport with robots, I can't wait to see what time Mara'Gotchi is going to clock.

edited to add: I might add that I will not participate with the marathon. Not because of any physical handicaps, but only because I hate running with a passion. I run once a year, for the largest annual student relay race in Europe, but that is only because it starts with a big party and ends with a big party. If you arrived at the starting point at 22:00 and started drinking then, got two hours sleep from 04:00 to 06:00 and then have to start running, you're too much in a stupor to notice the 12 kilometers before the finish. And even if you do, the party afterwards makes up for the suffering .

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Edited by - tomk80 on 01/12/2007 08:44:54
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  09:57:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
BTW, tomk80, do they still keep you Dutchmen sequestered in Dejima? When's the Shogun going to ease up on the Red-headed Barbarians?

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  12:26:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:

BTW, tomk80, do they still keep you Dutchmen sequestered in Dejima? When's the Shogun going to ease up on the Red-headed Barbarians?

Of course we're still there. We figured that, as it allowed us to be the only European nation to trade with the Japanese during the time of their isolation, the island probably brings good luck. Although the French occupation of the Netherlands did bring some hard times. But hey, after a few prayers to Donar that was soon resolved.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  15:24:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Yup, you guys knew how to keep your noses clean for the Shogun, unlike the Portuguese, who got involved in internal politics and religious proselytizing. (Thousands of Japanese Christian converts suffered crucifixion and/or burning thanks to that!)

The old Dutch attitude: Trade, and mind your own business -- that gave the VoC and the Netherlands two and a half centuries of exclusive Western access to Japan.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/12/2007 15:28:37
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  15:52:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:

Yup, you guys knew how to keep your noses clean for the Shogun, unlike the Portuguese, who got involved in internal politics and religious proselytizing. (Thousands of Japanese Christian converts suffered crucifixion and/or burning thanks to that!)

The old Dutch attitude: Trade, and mind your own business -- that gave the VoC and the Netherlands two and a half centuries of exclusive Western access to Japan.

Don't forget 'trade and depend on your superior sea-faring skills'. One story popular from those golden days is how part of the dutch navy came across a Spanish fleet during our 80-year war with them. The Spanish fleet unfortunately had no ammunition, so the dutch, always in for a buck, decided to sell them some. After the Spanish fleet was supplied and had payed the dutch fleet, we crushed them.

I have never checked up on the story and it is very likely myth. But it does tell you something about the mentality that is still for a part present in our country (although in recent years I sometimes wonder, unfortunately. It seems like some of that mercantile spirit has left the Netherlands in the past decades. Alas, for it is a good spirit).

Tom

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  16:34:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Well, sometimes the national myths say a lot about the people. And that's a great tale! Reminds me of the statement attributed (probably falsely) to Lenin, to the effect that when it's time for Communists to hang the last capitalists, a capitalist will sell them the rope.

Perhaps the Dutch need a dose of good old Tulipomania to get their national character tuned up again to 17th Century standards?

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  16:49:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Perhaps. The only question then becomes which useless product might be a good, new replacement for tulips (as we have done tulips already). ICT was a good alternative, but I think now is the time for something radically new for traders to create bubbles with.

Alas, perhaps it is as a philosopher that I have forgotten the name hypothesized, that the dutch mercantilism was a result of the strong calvinism in the Netherlands at that time. He hypothesized that the traders made money, but weren't allowed to spend it on themselves due to the calvinist attitude that one had to live as sober as possible, not indulging in material excess. Hence, calvinist traders were 'forced' to spend their money in investments, instead of spending it on luxury goods. Which gave them more money. Which they couldn't do anything else with but invest again. It's a good circle, but I fear that such a circle would now not be possible anymore. Although I do not mourn the causes of its loss.

edited to remove some grammatical errors

Tom

Edited by - tomk80 on 01/12/2007 16:54:51
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  19:36:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tomk80

Perhaps. The only question then becomes which useless product might be a good, new replacement for tulips (as we have done tulips already). ICT was a good alternative, but I think now is the time for something radically new for traders to create bubbles with.

Alas, perhaps it is as a philosopher that I have forgotten the name hypothesized, that the dutch mercantilism was a result of the strong calvinism in the Netherlands at that time. He hypothesized that the traders made money, but weren't allowed to spend it on themselves due to the calvinist attitude that one had to live as sober as possible, not indulging in material excess. Hence, calvinist traders were 'forced' to spend their money in investments, instead of spending it on luxury goods. Which gave them more money. Which they couldn't do anything else with but invest again. It's a good circle, but I fear that such a circle would now not be possible anymore. Although I do not mourn the causes of its loss.

edited to remove some grammatical errors

Whoever thought of that one was a genius. Very insightful!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds.