New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  02:54:13  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The Federal Government is warning of a new threat: Planted Canadian coins with tiny transmitters in them are supposedly being used to track the movements of American defense contractors. This from an AP story at LiveScience:
quote:
WASHINGTON (AP)—Money talks, but can it also follow your movements?

In a U.S. government warning high on the creepiness scale, the Defense Department cautioned its American contractors over what it described as a new espionage threat: Canadian coins with tiny radio frequency transmitters hidden inside.

The government said the mysterious coins were found planted on U.S. contractors with classified security clearances on at least three separate occasions between October 2005 and January 2006 as the contractors traveled through Canada.

. . .

Bizarre, if true, and even more bizarre if untrue.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/12/2007 03:03:20

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  04:55:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Bizarre indeed. Also kinda stupid. What is to prevent the 'spyed upon' from dropping the coin in the nearest bellywash machine minutes after it was planted on him? Or loses it playing odd-man with coin-flip grifters at the bus station?

But then, I'm reminded that these are spy agencies; the same sorts of people who, in the '60s, developed a cunning plan to assassinate Castro by blowing up his cigar, among other, equally ridiculous ideas.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  05:32:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I suppose if one were tailing someone, the coins might come in handy in case the target slipped away from the surveillance team. But only if the coins were still in his pocket. I suspect these were merely supplimentary devices, that might help, but were considered expendable. My guess is that the point of these operations might be to find some dirt on the contractor, so as to be able to blackmail him later to obtain weapons secrets.

That particular Castro assassination plan still brings to me a silly vision of the Commandante, perhaps after a five-hour haranguing speech, sitting down to smoke one of the world's finest stogies. Then it blows up, leaving Castro with a comically sooted face and a smoking, singed beard, the remains of the ruined cigar still in his mouth. It's really hard to take the CIA fellows who thought that one up very seriously.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/12/2007 05:36:12
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  14:16:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I'd go for another strategy:

Get the victim stone drunk, give him something to pass out. Then surgically implant the transmitter into his body somewhere. You could then have a larger power-source and a stronger transmitter for increased range. Then disguise the scar with a nice second-rate parlor tattoo...
Let him wake up in the cheapest hotel-room with a hooker, and he won't know what hit him. (Other than the hangover)

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  14:44:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Watch out, Mab, someone's likely to want to hire you for ideas.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  00:58:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
It's been discredited as a story guys.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  01:21:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Damn, I hate when the silly ones turn out to be fake. Citations, please?

Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  02:09:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:

Coming from the perpetrator of Moonscape News that statement is a bit hypocritical.

I assumed this was another Moonscape News Item when I saw it on the Home Page.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  02:19:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:

Coming from the perpetrator of Moonscape News that statement is a bit hypocritical.

I assumed this was another Moonscape News Item when I saw it on the Home Page.

Ya, but that story wasn't one I made up. I won't stand for others trying to get way with fake news, especially when they fool me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.