filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  04:47:58  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This is excellent news:
quote:
Gore earns Nobel nomination for global warming work
OSLO, Norway (AP) -- Former Vice President Al Gore has been nominated for the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for his wide-reaching efforts to draw the world's attention to the dangers of global warming, a Norwegian lawmaker said Thursday.

"A prerequisite for winning the Nobel Peace Prize is making a difference, and Al Gore has made a difference," Conservative Member of Parliament Boerge Brende, a former minister of environment and then of trade, told The Associated Press.

And here is some more news, the excellence of which I must leave to the individual reader's judgment:
quote:
Group nominates Rush Limbaugh for Nobel

A press release issued today by the Landmark Legal Foundation, which was first spotted by posters at DemocraticUnderground.com, announced that the group has nominated nationally syndicated radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh for the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  04:58:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
On NP nominations:
quote:
Forms, which amount to a personal and exclusive invitation, are sent to about three thousand selected individuals to invite them to submit nominations. In the case of the Peace Prize, for example, any of the following people may be asked to make nominations:
  • Members of national assemblies and governments of states;
  • Members of international courts;
  • University rectors;
  • Professors of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology;
  • Directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes;
  • Peace Prize laureates and/or board members of organisations that have been awarded the Peace Prize;
  • Active and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee;
  • Former advisers appointed by the Norwegian Nobel Institute.
The Norwegian Nobel Committee bases its assessment on nominations that must be postmarked no later than February 1 each year. Later nominations are included in the following year's discussions.

Unlike many other awards, the names of those nominated for a Nobel Prize are never publicly announced and they are never meant to learn that they were considered for the Prize. Nomination records are sealed for fifty years. In practice, some nominees become known, or are claimed by publicists, especially in literature where there is an economic incentive.

After the nomination deadline, a committee screens and filters the nominations to produce a list of around two hundred preliminary candidates. This list is then sent to selected experts in each nominee's field of work, from whose responses a shortlist of around fifteen is made. The committee then writes a report with recommendations and sends it to the relevant institution. As an example of these institution's sizes, the Assembly for the Prize for Medicine has fifty members. The members of the institution meet and select a winner or winners by vote.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  07:33:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
This is very good news about Gore, and much deserved, I think. Now, I just hope he gets one more nomination, the Democratic Party presidential one, in 2008!

What surprises me about Limbaugh's nomination is not that the right-wing Landmark Legal Foundation would choose Limpbag, but that they might be authorized to nominate for Nobels in the first place! LLF mainly spends millions in harassing legal actions against teacher's unions and environmental organizations. As an organization, they seem to be firmly on the Dark Side of the equation.

Edited to add: The Castle Rock Foundtion, a vehicle of the right-wing Coors beer family, funded LLF with over $250,000 between 1995 and 2003 according to Wiki.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/02/2007 12:51:31
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  08:03:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

On NP nominations:
quote:
Forms, which amount to a personal and exclusive invitation, are sent to about three thousand selected individuals to invite them to submit nominations. In the case of the Peace Prize, for example, any of the following people may be asked to make nominations:
  • Members of national assemblies and governments of states;
  • Members of international courts;
  • University rectors;
  • Professors of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology;
  • Directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes;
  • Peace Prize laureates and/or board members of organisations that have been awarded the Peace Prize;
  • Active and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee;
  • Former advisers appointed by the Norwegian Nobel Institute.
The Norwegian Nobel Committee bases its assessment on nominations that must be postmarked no later than February 1 each year. Later nominations are included in the following year's discussions.

Unlike many other awards, the names of those nominated for a Nobel Prize are never publicly announced and they are never meant to learn that they were considered for the Prize. Nomination records are sealed for fifty years. In practice, some nominees become known, or are claimed by publicists, especially in literature where there is an economic incentive.

After the nomination deadline, a committee screens and filters the nominations to produce a list of around two hundred preliminary candidates. This list is then sent to selected experts in each nominee's field of work, from whose responses a shortlist of around fifteen is made. The committee then writes a report with recommendations and sends it to the relevant institution. As an example of these institution's sizes, the Assembly for the Prize for Medicine has fifty members. The members of the institution meet and select a winner or winners by vote.

I understand that. It's poor wording on the media's part as well as my own. It soould read, "Suggested nomination."

It is interesting that Gore's "nomination" came from Norway.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  13:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I wonder if the Landmark Legal Foundation is the same group that nominated the dubious Dr. William Hammesfahr of Teri Schiavo fame for a Nobel Prize?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  14:22:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I don't know where these people get their common sense, but a well-functioning Deity can't be the source. Nominating Rush Limbaugh for a Nobel Peace Prize is the flip side of someone hypothetically suggesting that Cindy Sheehan should get the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  01:48:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner:
I don't know where these people get their common sense, but a well-functioning Deity can't be the source. Nominating Rush Limbaugh for a Nobel Peace Prize is the flip side of someone hypothetically suggesting that Cindy Sheehan should get the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Kinda reminds me of Tom Lehrer, who (it has been claimed) retired from satire when Dr. Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize; the scope of which far outweighs anything one satirist can come up with, rendering his (Tom Lehrer's) job obsolete.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  02:38:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I can sympathize with Lehrer. Hard enough to keep the Humor Muse from wandering off and whoring with others, even without the world competing so unfairly with hilarious absurdities. My own production has been zilch lately.

But I know the Muse will return, probably carrying a whip and dressed head to toe in black leather.

(Actually, I am working on a couple of things, but they are of the slow and steady variety, with the emphasis more on on "slow" that "steady." One hint: I've become somewhat obsessed with Chick Tracts, and am considering them as a possible model for popularizing skeptical fundamentals.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.