New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  10:17:41  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
My wife was watching the story on the 5,000 year old skeletons locked in an embrace on CNN. After an expert was interviewed one of the anchors turns to the other and says, "how do they know if it the skeleton was a woman or a man". The other anchor says, "I guess they just count the ribs", to which the first anchor says. "oh, yeah".
My wife was waiting for the laughter or some indication that these idiots were joking - but it never came they went on to the next story. Holy crap...

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  10:47:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Holy crap, indeed! Just talking heads, those anchors.
See my signature......

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  12:17:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Sigh... Everyone knows you just have to look for the presence of a large breastbone.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2007 :  18:48:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Sigh... Everyone knows you just have to look for the presence of a large breastbone.

Everyone? No. Some people are too slow to even perform a google search pre-broadcast.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  02:22:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Ricky was joking, Neurosis. I hope you knew that.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  02:25:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
BTW, it's the pelvic bones that differ in case some of you didn't want to look it up and didn't know. Men don't need room to push babies out. The rest of the bones are pretty much the same. Women are smaller as a whole population, but you can't say anything about size and gender for an individual skeleton.

Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/14/2007 02:26:20
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  04:39:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
That's hilarius! It's also sad but too true.

Some years back, I won a beer (that I never got) from one of my neighbors, who was convinced that men had an odd number of ribs.

The shape of the skull differs a bit between men and women, as well. My ex once remarked, in an excessivly loud voice, that a man's is thicker....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  08:57:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
filthy:
The shape of the skull differs a bit between men and women, as well. My ex once remarked, in an excessivly loud voice, that a man's is thicker....

Since the cranial capacity of a male is generally larger than that of a female, don't males need thicker skulls to hold in all of that grey matter?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  13:20:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
filthy:

Since the cranial capacity of a male is generally larger than that of a female, don't males need thicker skulls to hold in all of that grey matter?

Naw. We need thicker skulls for protection against shouting ex-ol' ladies. The difference in cranial size is for sound absorbtion...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  15:53:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Ricky was joking, Neurosis. I hope you knew that.

]Yeah. Everyone knows it's two breastbones you've got to look for.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 02/14/2007 15:54:35
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  17:33:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS
Yeah. Everyone knows it's two breastbones you've got to look for.

Or just the single penisbone.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Aerik

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  18:11:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Aerik's Homepage Send Aerik a Private Message
And why are we surprised to get this crap from CNN after the last 2 weeks of open bigotry against atheists?
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  18:32:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Aerik

And why are we surprised to get this crap from CNN after the last 2 weeks of open bigotry against atheists?

True enough...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  22:04:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
filthy:

My wife says the mans thicker skull is, well, just a thick skull.....

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.