I'm Looking at You Mormons.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  15:04:49  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Everyone knows that an atheist president (barring Kil in 2154) is impossible but what about a morman?

Does anyone have any thoughts on Mitt Romney running for prez?

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]

Edited by - Neurosis on 02/13/2007 15:06:08

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  15:20:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Yeah, I have a thought: If there was a god I would pray he doesn't win.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  15:24:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Reasons?

- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  15:47:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Well, you're asking (it seems) two different questions. One is what I think of Mitt Romney as a candidate. And to that, I have no solid answer, though I'm inclined to say that I'd not vote for him.

But more specifically, you're asking what I think of Romney as a Mormon candidate. Do I think he can win in light of the fact that he's a Mormon? My gut reaction is to say that his Mormon-ness doesn't matter. My home state of Oklahoma offers proof. It's hard to find a state with a stronger presence of religious fundamentalists. Despite this, they elected James Inhofe to a whole slew of offices over the years, including most recently, US Senate (though he lost in his bid to become Governor.) I haven't followed his Senate races in Oklahoma, and so I don't know what the ads were saying, and what came up in debates or in op-eds or polls. But my guess is that if the Southern Baptist Oklahoman has no problem putting a Mormon in the Senate, neither will the average American a Momon in the White House.

That said, Inhofe politically is in accords with Oklahoma. He hates taxes on the upper classes, he hates education, and he hates environmental regulation. Mr Romney seems to have views that may not be in accords with most of the US, and so perhaps that coupled with his Mormonism might make it difficult for him to win.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  21:18:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
How is James Inhofe contrary to the fundamentalist views? I admit I have no knowledge of him but a few links of parussing and he is described as walking, talking, and acting like a duck, I mean fundamentalist. Can you give me some more info?

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  21:37:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

How is James Inhofe contrary to the fundamentalist views? I admit I have no knowledge of him but a few links of parussing and he is described as walking, talking, and acting like a duck, I mean fundamentalist. Can you give me some more info?

And that's probably what Mormons have going for them best--a general ignorance about Mormon beliefs. I think most christians would be shocked and appalled if they knew some of the basic tenets of Mormonism, including (but not limited to) the belief that god is an alien who visited from a distant planet.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/13/2007 21:38:12
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  22:51:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Personally, I cannot understand how people are not shocked by what is in their basic tenents and contained in their religious books. Except of course, they don't read them, but some do and those people confuse me.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  14:49:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neurosis

quote:

Reasons?

Here's one:

Link

quote:
As recently as four years ago, Romney won election as governor of Massachusetts on an abortion-rights, pro-gay-rights platform, positions he has recently reversed as he courts conservative Christian support. He insisted Wednesday that his last-minute conversion was not political expediency, but a sincere evolution in his beliefs.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  16:03:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:

Here's one:

Link

quote:
As recently as four years ago, Romney won election as governor of Massachusetts on an abortion-rights, pro-gay-rights platform, positions he has recently reversed as he courts conservative Christian support. He insisted Wednesday that his last-minute conversion was not political expediency, but a sincere evolution in his beliefs.

I agree.

Being prepared to change ones mind is a good thing. Being able to switch it off on a whim, less so.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.