Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  14:53:42  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
... to either work, nor to fail, until observed? (Was that good Quantum Zen?)

This article is interesting. Is D-Wave scamming people, or is what they're doing the greatest breakthrough in computing ever? Don't ask me!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  15:11:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Well, I think I'll have to say:
"Put up or shut up... Evidence talks, bullshit walks."

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  15:40:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
I agree with Mab.

Also, the quote below bothers me somewhat:
quote:
""A general purpose quantum computer is a waste of time. You could spend hundreds of billions of dollars on it" and not create a working computer.

Yeah, what has non-commercial, tangential discovery, unexpected results, or pure research ever given us, I ask you?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  15:45:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
I like this one:
quote:
He said all the evidence the company has indicates that the device is performing quantum computations, but he acknowledged there is some uncertainty
Pun not intended?
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  20:30:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
A unique characteristic of quantum computing is that, unlike digital bits that can only have values of 0 or 1, qubits can exist in states 0 and 1 at the same time and promises to allow the machine to tap into a vast pool of computational power.

I guess I am stuck at atomice level......

How the hell would you prgoram it? How do you ask it to perform calculations? If it could be 0 and 1 at the same time then normal programming logic goes out the window.....

Now I am not a hardcore programmer, but every language I have seen works with logical operators. A variavle is or isn't.

How does one even begin to write a language for it?

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  05:52:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Original_Intent

quote:
A unique characteristic of quantum computing is that, unlike digital bits that can only have values of 0 or 1, qubits can exist in states 0 and 1 at the same time and promises to allow the machine to tap into a vast pool of computational power.

I guess I am stuck at atomice level......

How the hell would you prgoram it? How do you ask it to perform calculations? If it could be 0 and 1 at the same time then normal programming logic goes out the window.....

Now I am not a hardcore programmer, but every language I have seen works with logical operators. A variavle is or isn't.

Peace
Joe

Here's the wiki. Unfortunately, none of it makes sense to me, but perhaps to the more computer literate...
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  07:03:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Some more info:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question475.htm
quote:
It's unlikely that you'll ever have a large quantum computer on your desk, because they aren't well suited for tasks like word processing and e-mail. Large-scale cryptography, on the other hand, is ideal for quantum computing, as is modeling and indexing very large databases. It is for these large-scale applications that scientists continue to work on quantum computers.

More:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/quantum-computer.htm

Edited by - Starman on 02/16/2007 07:08:55
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  08:06:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Faking a quantum computer is easy.
Just take a top of the line PC, stick it is a large box an say "The machine currently runs at 16 qubits, the basic unit of quantum computing. That's less power than most standard computers and what the company calls a proof of concept."
As long as the performance of the prototype is slower than current technology, speed is easy to fake, and when asked to peek inside the box you can always say "No, it contains propriatary technology that we're about to patent and we don't want to risk compromizing our discovery".

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  09:22:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Faking a quantum computer is easy.
Just take a top of the line PC, stick it is a large box an say "The machine currently runs at 16 qubits, the basic unit of quantum computing. That's less power than most standard computers and what the company calls a proof of concept."
As long as the performance of the prototype is slower than current technology, speed is easy to fake, and when asked to peek inside the box you can always say "No, it contains propriatary technology that we're about to patent and we don't want to risk compromizing our discovery".

Besides, if you let people look into the box, Schroedinger's Cat might die.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  09:37:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

I'm not entire sure, but from wikipedia:

quote:
For an n qubit quantum register, recording the state of the register requires 2^n complex numbers (the 3-qubit register requires 2^3 = 8 numbers).

I believe that as it takes 2^n complex numbers, from a 3-qubit register, you can actually represent any 8 complex numbers, as opposed to the numbers 0-7 on a classical computer. But the wikipedia article also stated that these numbers are not independent.

So don't think of it has having a 0 and a 1. Just think of it as in you have hexidecimal bit computer, every bit can be from 0 to F. Of course, this is just an analogy.

quote:

This is one of the problems they are working on, coming up with a set of logic gates which is Turning-complete.

quote:

Once a machine is Turning-complete, any classic language will work.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 02/16/2007 09:39:03
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  14:14:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
The advantage lies in parallel execution. As such, 3D modeling and simulations are some of the ideal applications for a quantum computer.
That puts the gaming industry in focus, which is the primary driving force behing the advancement of personal computer technology.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  22:50:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:

I'm not entire sure, but from wikipedia:

quote:
For an n qubit quantum register, recording the state of the register requires 2^n complex numbers (the 3-qubit register requires 2^3 = 8 numbers).

I believe that as it takes 2^n complex numbers, from a 3-qubit register, you can actually represent any 8 complex numbers, as opposed to the numbers 0-7 on a classical computer. But the wikipedia article also stated that these numbers are not independent.

So don't think of it has having a 0 and a 1. Just think of it as in you have hexidecimal bit computer, every bit can be from 0 to F. Of course, this is just an analogy.

quote:

This is one of the problems they are working on, coming up with a set of logic gates which is Turning-complete.

quote:

Once a machine is Turning-complete, any classic language will work.

It is still a bit over my head, but these languages are designed to work with switches that are either on or off. The wiki says it shouod work, but it may not be efficient.

I am more interested in it at the machince level, as to my knowledge, the "motherboard", "processor", and "BUS," programming is all digital. Or am I reading too much into it, and it is actuallly not a ohysical quantum device, but emulates it?

I think I can do without the quantums myself, though I can see the usefullness.... Me, I wnat my atomic level computer running at a couple of terra-hertz with a my BUS and periphreals right behind it.....

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  19:04:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

It is still a bit over my head, but these languages are designed to work with switches that are either on or off. The wiki says it shouod work, but it may not be efficient.

High-level computer languages are much more abstract than switches. Take a typical C/C++ statement:

int z = (a + b) / d;

So long as your computer can represent an integer, add two numbers, divide two numbers, and assign one "variable" (typically seen as a register, though it need not to be) to another, this statement will work on it. How it does so does not matter, only that it can. It will be the compilers job to translate this statement into the "how" it does it, but that is not something the language must worry about.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2007 :  19:11:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
The advantage lies in parallel execution. As such, 3D modeling and simulations are some of the ideal applications for a quantum computer.

I think the more important implications will be on computational number theory. The use of quantum computer will drastically change the order of the algorithms we use to find certain results of equations dealing with divisibility (primes are just one example). This of course will drastically change cryptography, which pretty much summed up as applied number theory.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  20:50:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I think you mean Turing-complete. After this guy.

There are 10 (binary) instances of your error, if you want to correct them.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  21:30:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Is there a direct relationship between bits and qubits? I mean a certain number of bits per qubit?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.