Book Reviews
 B&N Atlas of World History
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2007 :  13:09:55  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
I have to say that the Barnes and Noble Atlas of World History rocks in soo many ways.

1. Its only 25$US
2. Its big and sturdy
3. Its got really nice full color maps on every page and there are many pages.
4. It covers every region of the world from 4M B.C. through 2005
5. The maps are of a wide variety, incredibly detailed and each has an adjoining timeline to reference the particular map topic.

The maps cover everything from the spread of written language to indiviual locations for things like obsidian mines* and battle sites. They have non-agressive migration routes and known trade routes, along with what was traded on that route. The extent of each major rulers influence and battle campaign details. Each page has a thousand words or so of text to accompany it.

I cannot express enough how great of a reference book this is, you may even find yourself reading it through. A perfect gift for anyone with even a marginal interest in world history.
B&N Link

*FYI Obsidian was critical to many ancient peoples.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.