New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

rollins

2 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  12:15:41  Show Profile Send rollins a Private Message
Is anyone out there a atheist and also a conservitive? I am a conservitive but I don`t agree with the far right or bringing god into politcal thinking. I believe it is totally possible to be moral without god,and its frustrating to listen to conservitive radio when they bring up the lack of god for all our problems, they make it sound that atheism is a liberal way of thinking. Am I alone on this? I don`t know where I fit in.

Henry

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  12:28:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
There are plenty of Atheist conservatives. Don't forget that there are many liberals that believe in God. Hillary Clinton is extremely religious.

The deal with the GOP and fundamentalists is that the funsdies have decided to throw their lot on with the GOP because back in the Reagan years the GOP threw repealing Roe v Wade into their platform. It's amazing but many religious people only back the GOP for that one reason and are against many GOP policies. Go figure.

But it's a mistake to associate political leanings and belief.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  12:41:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Atheist, Independent Voter with Conservative leanings. Atheist is simply: without belief in god. Beyond that, every spectrum of the political system is represented in those who don't believe.

---
There is no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our world. It underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've known. Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  13:10:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
I'm a strong atheist, philosophical libertarian. I'm sure I'd be described as more conservative than liberal, but I have so many unconventional opinions on so many different subjects, that I don't think these labels do me any justice, really.

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2002 :  13:33:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I'm an agnostic and an Independent. Mostly, I'm pretty left wing, but I'll support a conservitive if I think he's honest and is the best candidate for the office.

f

"They will take away my Darwin Fish only when they pry it from my cold, dead bumper!"
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  00:41:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Is anyone out there a atheist and also a conservitive? I am a conservitive but I don`t agree with the far right or bringing god into politcal thinking. I believe it is totally possible to be moral without god,and its frustrating to listen to conservitive radio when they bring up the lack of god for all our problems, they make it sound that atheism is a liberal way of thinking. Am I alone on this? I don`t know where I fit in.

Henry

And the reason why lables are not good is............

What exactly do you mean by liberal or conservitive?
I used to consider myself liberal, I'd like to think I'm open minded and can listen to both sides and up and down of an argument before deciding what I would vote for. Yet when I tell people I'm a Libertarian they more often then not lable me as conservative.
Most of my partys platform is what I also believe in, except for one major issue, the environment which they did have a logical explanation for but I'm not sure I trust it.
Other then that I'm pro abortion, anti death penality(mostly), pro gay rights, want me to go on? In other words what does a lable mean? I think each issue would have to be asked separately to know what a person thinks, for...or against. If you say they are conserative does that mean they MUST think a certain way about all the conservative issues or vise versa?
I don't understand....what was the question again?
ps. I used to belong to an E-group called 'Athiest Libertarians' but am on so many, had to eliminate some groups. Bet you could find other egroups to fit any ways of combinations of thinking.
We are not alone!!!

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2002 :  04:25:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
I think the last presidential election showed us there is no difference between "liberals" and "conservatives."

I am an atheist, and I am conservatively a left-wing radical. One can be an atheist and have any political affiliation, as one can be an atheist for many reasons. However, if one is a skeptic, one of course must agree with everything that I say.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  01:18:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I think the last presidential election showed us there is no difference between "liberals" and "conservatives."

You are absolutely right and they are called Republicrats or Demopublicians. What I want to know is, when will everyone else see that or admit it, really?
quote:

I am an atheist, and I am conservatively a left-wing radical. One can be an atheist and have any political affiliation, as one can be an atheist for many reasons. However, if one is a skeptic, one of course must agree with everything that I say.

Gorgo, is that a typo or were you trying to be funny. LOL.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  05:51:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Whaddya mean, trying?

quote:

Gorgo, is that a typo or were you trying to be funny. LOL.

"Not one human life should be expended in this reckless violence called a war against terrorism." - Howard Zinn
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  09:57:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I agree with @tomic. I think the right actively courts the more fundamentalist Christians to get votes. It's shameless pandering to a block of voters who often feel that the separation clause in the first amendment does not apply to their religion. Supposedly because the founding fathers where God fearing Christians. (Not always true.)

Most politicians, right or left, play the God card. Apparently a belief in God is necessary to get elected in this country. Too bad. But the right takes it many steps further. Bush's faith based initiative is one example of that.

I feel for any conservative that has to put up with his parties need to pander to one of it's constituency's in this way. Simply put, I think its a cynical grab for votes...

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2002 :  13:47:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Most politicians, right or left, play the God card. Apparently a belief in God is necessary to get elected in this country. Too bad. But the right takes it many steps further. Bush's faith based initiative is one example of that. The Evil Skeptic

Difficult to belive, Kil BUT we agree again.
It's not enough to just state the problem.
I have the solution:
We, freethinkers, atheists, non-religious, etc. MUST let our representitives know how we think. Inform them there are ALL kinds of people who don't go along with what they think is 'main stream' thought.
If we speak out I would like to think others would join in, just as the 'moral majority' movement started.

Go to Top of Page

Bradley
Skeptic Friend

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  09:56:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bradley a Private Message
quote:
its frustrating to listen to conservitive radio when they bring up the lack of god for all our problems

Perhaps conservatives should speak out more in order to disassociate conservativism from the fundamentalist extremists.

"Too much doubt is better than too much credulity."

-Robert Green Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Go to Top of Page

BrotherBluto

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  10:59:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BrotherBluto a Private Message
I'm agnostic and also registered as a Rebublican, although I consider myself more Libertarian than anything else. Several issues drove me away from the "mainstream" a few years ago and chief among them was the party's seemingly close affiliation with christian fundamentalists. I only stay registered as a republican to vote in the primaries.

Like Rollins, I believe that one can be moral without the "benefit" of organized religion. Besides, it scares me when any politician starts using "God" as a justification for policy.

Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  13:27:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
Count me as a left-leaning Agnostic (I hate it when people call agnostics wishy-washy for not being out-and-out Atheists, but hey, I can't prove god *doesn't* exist...)

I wonder... would it be possible to add a feature to this BBS that would provide a link to our Federal represenatives' email? Something that would accept our zip code and look up the proper senators and congressperson? That way it would be easy to send an opinion to our reps when we're all fired up by somebody's posting about an issue.

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  13:45:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Count me as a left-leaning Agnostic (I hate it when people call agnostics wishy-washy for not being out-and-out Atheists, but hey, I can't prove god *doesn't* exist...)

Hmm, neither can I, but I don't hold out much hope for the proof of existance and don't see any point in declaring what religion describes as a god. Until such proof is presented I have to be an atheist.

Which is why I like the Epicurus quote:

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

---
There is no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our world. It underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've known. Sagan
Go to Top of Page

DVF
Skeptic Friend

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  13:52:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DVF a Private Message
You could count me as a conservative atheist, although I often side with the left on certain issues involving personal freedoms. I would most acurately by called a libertarian.

Um... Is that my beer?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.