Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  17:37:58  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
http://www.ffrf.org/action/drpepper.html

"Patriotic" Dr. Pepper Can Reads "One Nation . . . Indivisible"

....think I'll switch to Dr Pepper, - at least one a day.

Randy

Kaneda Kuonji
Skeptic Friend

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  18:39:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kaneda Kuonji a Private Message
Well, I'll go buy me a cube of Dr. Pepper and toast them.

As for the students: we need a Monty Python-esque "Upperclass Twit of the Year" running, and these students just made the early nomination.

Rodney Dean, CI Order of the Knights of Jubal
Ivbalis.org

Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  18:41:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
The *Pledge of Allegiance* which I learned as a child did not have an *Under God* in it. However, earlier than that there was another, briefer, *Pledge of Allegiance*, so, even the *Indivisible* was new earlier (than when I learned it) in the 20th century. Years later, I remember being in a school auditorium when the Pledge of Allegiance was being recited. I was saying *one nation indivisible* and nearly choked with laughter when everybody else was reciting *one nation under God*! I could just see those silly Congressmen) who were busy attempting AGAIN to foist their religion/s upon the rest of the public (going against the Constitution, as usual).

Today, I avoid situations where the Pledge of Allegiance might come up, because I am afraid that I might forget myself and shout out a loud *INDIVISIBLE* with gusto.

I do not think that the manufacturers of Dr. Pepper were attempting to take away the *under God*, but were simply emphasizing the *indivisible* because of *9/11*. Remember that there was a *...* in the Dr. Pepper ad which gave an acknowledgment of the missing words.

I do not expect religion to go away, so I simply ignore it as much as possible, unless things gets nasty about non-believers (in the particular religion being pushed upon everybody else).

ljbrs

"Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error." Goethe
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  20:24:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

A girl from the above article said, after Dr. Pepper representitives said that "under God" was edited out because they ran out of room:

quote:
"They told me there wasn't enough room. Well they could have left off 'Indivisible' instead," Sara Lattie said.

Let's just say that I have a dirty mind right now, and if I were to open my mouth, I'd get into some real trouble around here.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your common sense." -Buddha
Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  20:37:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
Aww hell, I'll choke down a can after that.

Maybe some Rum will make it taste better...Rum and wasabi...

(Alchol is fun to play with! )

Xev -Ad astra!- Bellringer
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2002 :  21:30:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

Rum and wasabi...

Need I ask?

Laws of Thermodynamics:
1. You cannot win.
2. You cannot break even.
3. You cannot stop playing the game.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2002 :  02:21:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

quote:

A girl from the above article said, after Dr. Pepper representitives said that "under God" was edited out because they ran out of room:

[quote]"They told me there wasn't enough room. Well they could have left off 'Indivisible' instead," Sara Lattie said.

Boy you guys are late on this.
On my other egroup we've talked about this days ago.
That girl was right.
http://www.dpsu.com/
They kind of took the middle road in answering the 'charges'. I and some others wrote to the company. I told them I appreciated what they did anyway and that I am an atheist and am tired of all this god stuff lately.
You might want to do something similar to let them know others feel the same way.
We have to let corperations know they can be brave and they won't loose money if they say or do something like that.

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Edited by - snake on 02/12/2002 02:26:37
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.