Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  07:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Your gonna love this crap.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/711479.asp?0dm=T218N

I am speechless with how stupid this whole concept is. Some kind of mystic harmony which is a result of a man-made time measurement system.

[sarcasm] Go out there and meditate at 20:02 folks. That's 8:02 PM for you folks not familiar with military time. [/sarcasm]

This makes my head hurt.

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  08:00:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Are you surprised that Uri Geller is all over this one? Be prepared for massive hit counting and hit dismissing.
I think the guy at the end of the article has the situation nailed: “Occasions like this are good excuses to party,”.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  09:52:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
A man I knew as a kid was a math freak (there really is no other word for it. He owned a gas station). He had a thousand number tricks, many of them pretty complicated. I always thought he was a little crazy, but in a good way.

Ignore Geller. He became yesterday's news when he claimed to stop the Oz Olympic Torch a couple of years ago. The guy's always been a feeble joke at best.

Let's party! I'll bring a pot of my special 'Venomous Beans' and some home made whiskey.

f

"Don't tell me your doubts; I've got enough doubts of my own. Tell me something you BELIEVE in!"
Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Badger
Skeptic Friend

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  09:58:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Badger a Private Message
Have one for me. I gotta work.

My goats tell me that palidrome day was LAST week, according to their time measurement system. The sheep disagreed. We're not even in the right decade according to her. And the dogs just shook their heads sadly, and went off to chase some squirrels.

I'm stumblin through the parking lot of an invisible 7-eleven. ZZ-Top
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  10:14:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
This whole harmony thing fails to take into acount that it is 20:02 at a different time the whole world over.

The article is kind of funny, but what do they need a mathematican for telling them about how often you get this kind of date? It is not like there is rocket science or something involved.

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  14:28:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Didn't they do this whole harmonic convergence thing a while ago, maybe the mid-late eighties? Or don't they remember that?

---
There is no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our world. It underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've known. Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  17:46:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
Sounds kinda like Uri and company are once again buying into the notion of a "Hundreth Monkey" phenomenon.

http://www.skepdic.com/monkey.html

------------

Sum Ergo Cogito
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  18:20:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Less than two hours to go and the beer is well chilled!
Seriously, does anyone but me find it a little scary that people believe in this crap? Remember Ronnie and Nancy with their White House Astrologer? World decisions based on pseudoscience.
Even more seriously, where's my beer?
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  21:04:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
OK. Here goes. I'm thinking of something positive... Hummmmmmmmm... Wait! I think someone is trying to break in here! Oh NO! Aghhhhhhhh!!!

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2002 :  21:27:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Buuurrrpp! I'd say everything went well. Whilst tossing back MGDs we sent out all the positive energy we could. (In between trips to the bathroom) I can now say we had an astounding "hit" on this one, make no mistake. Has anyone noticed that within the last hour and a half Canada did not invade Diego Garcia?. Remarkable, isn't it?
For our next trick, during the next (whatever) significant date, we will keep everyone from Trinidad and Tobago from contracting frostbite.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  07:03:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Buuurrrpp! I'd say everything went well. Whilst tossing back MGDs we sent out all the positive energy we could. (In between trips to the bathroom) I can now say we had an astounding "hit" on this one, make no mistake. Has anyone noticed that within the last hour and a half Canada did not invade Diego Garcia?. Remarkable, isn't it?
For our next trick, during the next (whatever) significant date, we will keep everyone from Trinidad and Tobago from contracting frostbite.
Lisa

Dang. I missed it. Too busy feeding the three week old baby. They don't have any sense of mystic harmony.

Edited by - VALIANT DANCER on 02/21/2002 07:04:53
Go to Top of Page

Dr Shari
Skeptic Friend

135 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  08:00:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dr Shari a Private Message
Perhaps we should have all just pulled out a Harmonica and played at that time just to get in the spirit of things. I agree with any reason to party.

I find it funny they used the term mathmatical curiosity. What is curious about it at all? It just is. I admit it was a fun thing to notice but not at all curious. It just was.

Death: The High Cost of Living
It is easier to get forgiveness then to get permission!

Edited by - Dr Shari on 02/21/2002 08:06:12
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  08:17:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Either all that harmonic stuff has a downside, or someone was out of tune. I really have a headache this morning. Wonder why?
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  09:31:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I have always found it fascinating how we humans can attach an importance to something trivial. 02:02 02 20 2002 is something that had to happen and is no more than an arbitary date / time in our particular calender. It means no more than 13:09 05 25 1947. In short, nonsense.

But hey, I do it too. For no reason that I can explain, I'll attach significance to mundane events or objects that are unusual in some way. Pure superstition, of course. But, it just FEELS so.... Sometimes, it's not easy to be a Skeptic. And I ain't ashamed to admit it.

To hell with it! Let's party!

f

"Don't tell me your doubts; I've got enough doubts of my own. Tell me something you BELIEVE in!"
Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  11:40:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
I remember when this happened the last time now - something about 9/9/81 - at least my teacher just called it square root day.

---
There is no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our world. It underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've known. Sagan
Go to Top of Page

DVF
Skeptic Friend

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  09:09:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DVF a Private Message
quote:
The date 20/02/2002 is very, very rare
-Uri Gellar

Yep, it only happens once. That's pretty rare. Not like all those common dates that repeat at regular intervals. Moron.

Um... Is that my beer?

Edited by - dvf on 02/22/2002 09:24:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.