New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

EnderNow1

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  01:03:52  Show Profile  Send EnderNow1 an AOL message Send EnderNow1 a Private Message
Here's the link...

http://www.drdino.com/cse.asp?pg=250k

It's a magical world out there, let's go exploring!

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  01:51:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
[quote]
http://www.drdino.com/cse.asp?pg=250k
[/quote]

Some sites discussing this challenge :
http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/feedback/nov01.html

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/faqs.html#hovind

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Temple/9917/vlaard/

http://www.geocities.com/kenthovind/challenge.html
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  06:28:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Where would we be with good ol' Kent. I'd love to catch his act live, sometime.

This guy got his PhD from a diploma mill in Denver and is an embarrassment even to other creationists. His 'challenge' is spelled out in such a way that it is imposible to meet. Further, HE personally screens all the applicants. There is also some doubt that he can come up with the 1/4 mil, but that's not important. Nobody'll ever win it. He won't engage in a written debate and has been knowen to excuse himself out of oral ones. He sez that he speaks over 700 times a year (must have the world's strongest jaw).

He's currently having problems with the IRS and the State of FL.

Hereza site:

http://www.geocities.com/kenthovind/

luck,

f

"Don't tell me your doubts; I've got enough doubts of my own. Tell me something you BELIEVE in!"
Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  07:05:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Unfortunately he manages to influence some politicians in Arkansas.

http://www.antievolution.org/topics/law/ar_hb2548/

Go to Top of Page

Kaneda Kuonji
Skeptic Friend

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  11:58:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kaneda Kuonji a Private Message
www.geocities.com/kenthovind has the most insight I've seen into the arguements of Hovind (Yes I still refuse to call him a Doctor).

I found the site while looking around. I'm going to get the opinions of my legal professors here at Marshall about the offer he's made, and e-mail the site later on the findings.

Rodney Dean, CI Order of the Knights of Jubal
Ivbalis.org

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  17:25:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
[quote]
He sez that he speaks over 700 times a year (must have the world's strongest jaw).
[/quote]

That'd be the jaw of an ass?

Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  18:56:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
[quote]
Where would we be with good ol' Kent. I'd love to catch his act live, sometime.[/quote]

You got enough fruit, Filthy?

[quote]That'd be the jaw of an ass?[/quote]

ROTFLOL

Hey, watch it, Randy. You don't want to insult asses around the world, now do you? ;-) :-P

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your common sense." -Buddha
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  19:19:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Now James, I would never be so crass as to hurl slimy, rotted fruit at an enfeebled idiot. After all, it's possible that he comes from a broken home or was brain-washed in the war. One must be generous and make allowences.

A coconut or two perhaps, followed by raucous laughter?

f

"Don't tell me your doubts; I've got enough doubts of my own. Tell me something you BELIEVE in!"
Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2002 :  21:03:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
My sincere apologies to the asses of the world. ;-)

Read somewhere, or maybe it was someone's quote that creationists were a subspecies off-shoot from the lower primates.
Oops! Sorry too, to all you chimps out there.

Go to Top of Page

Kaneda Kuonji
Skeptic Friend

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  00:03:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kaneda Kuonji a Private Message
Interesting question...what do we call this guy that wouldn't be an insult to someone else? So, how to best go about it?

Ivbalis.org

Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  00:59:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
[quote]
Interesting question...what do we call this guy that wouldn't be an insult to someone else? So, how to best go about it?
[/quote]

I think an objective descriptions of his views, ideas, goals and methodes should be insult enough to any ratinal being.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  06:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

Lars, you're dead on. Hovind is so far out, he's almost back in again.

He's something of an example of some fundie thought processes in that there are a LOT of people who accept his hogwash at face value. Because he can speak well, lie convincingly (sort of) about his record, and thump a Bible until the print blurs, they never allow logic to enter the subject, nor even look at hard evidence.

Under other circumstances, I'd find him and his ilk hillarious, but they are trying to get hard science out of schools and replace it with myth and ledgend. If they were to be successful, our students would not be able to compete in the international, scientific community.

f

Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  07:45:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
[quote]
Under other circumstances, I'd find him and his ilk hillarious, but they are trying to get hard science out of schools and replace it with myth and ledgend. If they were to be successful, our students would not be able to compete in the international, scientific community.
[/quote]

Hovind himself sees the situation slightly differently. From a collecticion of Hovind quotes at:
http://www.geocities.com/kenthovind/quotes/
[quote]
Teaching the pagan religion of evolutionism is a waste of valuable class time and textbook space. It is also one of the reasons American kids don't test as well in science as kids in other parts of the world.
Source: http://www.drdino.com/cse.asp?pg=articles&specific=6
[/quote]

Then again he has strange views on about anything else to.

If Evolution is a satanic religion that is responsible for only half the stuff he thinks it is responsible for I will start to whorship. (Satan that is)

Go to Top of Page

Kaneda Kuonji
Skeptic Friend

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  12:32:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kaneda Kuonji a Private Message
I'm surprised no one's tried to prosecute him for fraud with all the stupidity he's tried to dump on other people. If I were a lawyer and someone tried him in such a manner, I'd take the case in an instant!

Ivbalis.org

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  13:53:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Apart from some financial shennagans, not uncommon among fundelmentalist preachers, there appear to be small grounds for legal action. If there were, well, there's a lot of people who'd certainly like a piece of him. And he knows it.

He's also in tight with Jack Chick, the comic artist who's work makes a lot less sense than Mad Magazine. I've been told that Hovind has done some of the writing, which might explain a little of the idiocy.

Oh yeah. My boy Kent! Damn, but I'd like to follow a written debate between him and, hell, anybody. I'm the world's worst debater (bad temper), and I'd bet I could take him down.

f

Brother Dave Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Kaneda Kuonji
Skeptic Friend

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2002 :  18:01:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kaneda Kuonji a Private Message
I know I'd want a piece of him...thinking of challenging him to a debate at Marshall...might be interesting, although he usually sticks to the bible belt.

Ivbalis.org

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.