Creation/Evolution
 New Moderator
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dhuxley

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2002 :  14:43:31  Show Profile  Visit dhuxley's Homepage Send dhuxley a Private Message
Hi, I'm the new moderator for Creation/Evolution. I'm also the moderator for Religion, but in name only since I've barely participated there. Shame on me. I hope to do better.

Not very many of you know me, so here's a short introduction:

I've been with Skeptic Friends Network since the very beginning, when Larry, Kil and I thought it would be a great idea to have a Web site to spout off about the things we feel strongly about. This was back in 1996, I believe. We started "Truth... And Other Lies," which soon spawned Skeptic Friends Network some time in early 1997.

My main interests in skepticism are religion (fundamentalism, Scientology, church/state issues), quackery in psychology and psychiatry, and, naturally, the creation/evolution debate. UFOs, alien abduction, conspiracy theory -- I'm not as "up" on all that stuff, but I often find it highly amusing. I don't think I've ever gotten passionate about flying saucers like I do about, say, prayer in public schools. Alternative medicine issues CAN get me inflamed, but I've mostly deferred to Kil's expertise in that area on this site.

Outside of skepticism, my interests are movies, reading, writing, hiking, cats and vegetarianism, something my skeptic friends and I are often at odds about.

While this board was developing, I was already off on other boards that I had been frequenting for a very long time. Thus, I never really participated in the SFN forums, though I did want to. You could usually find me over at Salon.com's Table Talk (not anymore -- they went PAY!) or Fametracker, where I indulged in a little celebrity bashing (a guilty pleasure), or some other obscure board about recipes or something.

Well, no more. I'm swearing 'em off for now so I can participate more here. (Well, Fametracker, though -- I need to do THAT.)

My brother, Tommy Huxley, used to be the moderator for this forum on the old message boards. Anyone remember those? He's too busy to take over it now, and, if any of you remember the poster named "He," you can see why he might not want to moderate here anymore. Ah, gosh, ANYBODY remember HE? Yikes! But I digress...

So, that's who I am. Where do we start? Hey, how about that Ohio...?

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2002 :  14:55:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
You know what.....I saw He logged on here a couple days ago!!

He lives!!!

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2002 :  18:51:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
I dimly remember "he". Must have made a good impression, since I have no idea what the posts were about.
My favorite from the old board is still the flea market dude who thought the CIA was after him. Had to be true, too weird to make up.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2002 :  20:53:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Dawn is also the editor of this site.

Great to see you in this corner of SFN, Dawn.

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2002 :  22:16:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Outside of skepticism, my interests are movies, reading, writing, hiking, cats and vegetarianism, something my skeptic friends and I are often at odds about.

Dawn, I'm shocked thought you liked dogs too?
Vegetarianism! Hey, I'm with you on that one, you know that. Kil is the one we have to work on. He likes to taunt but we'll get him.
I'm glad to see you might be posting here more. If no one says it, I will....you are very knowledgeable and intelligent and your insights are a value to any discussion.
nlm

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Go to Top of Page

dhuxley

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  07:55:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit dhuxley's Homepage Send dhuxley a Private Message
Hiya Norm:

Of course I like dogs! I love all animals. But, you know how much I love my cats.

And speaking of dogs, Byron still plays with that squeaky toy you gave him. He LOVES it!

As for vegetarianism, I know that you understand. But, I've encountered a few skeptics who are, well, pretty skeptical about it.

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate them.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  14:19:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
I'm glad to see you here, Dawn!

The girl I've been dating is a vegetarian, and I tend to tease her about it. I will eat a nice juicy steak, and sometimes comment on the wonderful flavor of charred animal flesh. Last time we ate out, she ordered salmon, so I had to comment, "it's OK to eat fish, since they don't have feelings?" I don't think she was entirely pleased with that, but I thought it was funny.

-me.
Go to Top of Page

dhuxley

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  15:23:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit dhuxley's Homepage Send dhuxley a Private Message
Hmm, you're right and she's wrong. Fish is DEFINITELY not vegetarian. True vegetarians often get irritated with folks who claim to be vegetarians but eat fish or chicken. It confuses the definition. At the least she should call herself a pesco-vegetarian. (Oh no! Hyphens!) But, yeah, as far as I know, fish isn't plant-based.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  15:44:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

The girl I've been dating is a vegetarian, and I tend to tease her about it. I will eat a nice juicy steak, and sometimes comment on the wonderful flavor of charred animal flesh. [:D

Thank you Boron. You proved my point, ha ha. Like Father, like Son. I believe your father did something like that once with me too. I don't recall the exact details, he probably doesn't remember either but maybe Larry can back me up.
ps. don't want to bud in on your romance but if you do like her, you might want to be a little more sensitive to her believes. Not my business, just a friendly tip, I wouldn't say anything if I didn't like you.

Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  15:54:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Hmm, you're right and she's wrong. Fish is DEFINITELY not vegetarian. True vegetarians often get irritated with folks who claim to be vegetarians but eat fish or chicken. It confuses the definition. At the least she should call herself a pesco-vegetarian. (Oh no! Hyphens!) But, yeah, as far as I know, fish isn't plant-based.

Yes, Dawn that's right. I used to know someone from Isreal who was I call a 'strict vegetarian'. She would even read the ingredients on cookie packages, etc., to make sure the oil they used was not animal. Not any religious thing, she was just so careful to only have things made without animal products. She'd say it was so difficult to find things for her kids, there was only one brand of cookie she could find. It did taste good too. A store brand. But she was THAT careful and non-hypocritical.

Go to Top of Page

Blair Nekkid

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  18:03:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Blair Nekkid a Private Message
Hey Boron,
To boldy wander a little farther into the vegetarian topic...

I once dated a girl who said that she would not eat anything with a face. I told her that a good butcher can cut that part off if you ask. Strangely I don't recall ever hearing from her again.

Cheers,

Blair

#insert devastatingly witty remark here#

Blair

"Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!"
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  20:26:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

Thank you Boron. You proved my point, ha ha. Like Father, like Son. I believe your father did something like that once with me too.

Hey, I have no beef with vegetarians....

The Evil Skeptic

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  00:53:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
I told her that a good butcher can cut that part off if you ask.
LOL! That's great!
quote:
I have no beef with vegetarians
...and so is that! Hehehe....

-me.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  02:14:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Thank you Boron. You proved my point, ha ha. Like Father, like Son. I believe your father did something like that once with me too.

Hey, I have no beef with vegetarians....

The Evil Skeptic

Oy!

Go to Top of Page

dhuxley

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  05:00:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit dhuxley's Homepage Send dhuxley a Private Message
quote:

I used to know someone from Isreal who was I call a 'strict vegetarian'. She would even read the ingredients on cookie packages, etc., to make sure the oil they used was not animal. Not any religious thing, she was just so careful to only have things made without animal products.

I know how your friend feels, Norm. I'm the same way. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

-Dawn

Darwin's Bitch
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  22:53:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I know how your friend feels, Norm. I'm the same way. It can be a pain in the ass sometimes.
-Dawn

Did I ever tell you about the time I ordered a vegitarian meal on an airplane. This was years ago and I've never done that since, ha ha.
They served me some kind of concocition that I think was supposed to look like meatloaf but made out.....it's hard to say but eggplant I think mixed with, who knows what.
It tasted what people talk about airline food tasting like.
I happen to like airplane food, what I've had since, the regular stuff.
When I called ahead to order that meal I thougth they serve me raw food, an apple and celery and crackers or something like that. That's what I think of when I say vegetarian. Just plain food as it comes from the ground or trees. Why do they think WE have to have something that looks like meat?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.