Conspiracy Theories
 What the ______?!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  18:46:45  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
This is something I found on our friends's (Kent Hovind's) site. This guy and his friends have GOT to be in the head; I just can't believe this stuff! I'd elaborate some more, but profanity is not allowed here. To see what I'm so angry about, just check out the link below, especially the last sentence!

All I can say is that with people spreading stuff around, is it any wonder that there are militia nuts arming themselves against the gov't? At least, that seems to have died down somewhat. (no thanks to the people on Hovind's website!)

http://www.drdino.com/cse.asp?pg=articles&specific=27
in an article called: "Who Knew What When? Part Two"

(this is from the last paragraph on that article):
"That the FBI continues to search for non-government linked suspects in the anthrax crimes is misdirected effort. Furthermore, how is the American public to believe that some bioterrorist lay in waiting for the events of Sept. 11 to distribute anthrax spores via mail envelopes and blame it on Islamic suspects? Whoever released the anthrax also was involved in the planning of the attacks on the World Trade Centers. Why did US intelligence agencies appear to intentionally drop their guard and allow Islamic terrorists to board and hijack commercial aircraft? Has the American public been deceived? Will the anthrax terrorist escape detection just as Osama bin Laden continues to avoid capture? The American public can only be left with two conclusions. Either our government is totally inept and needs replacement, or it conspired to plan the events surrounding Sept. 11 including the release of anthrax."

All I can say regarding this is:

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  19:29:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
Well the article appears to be par for the course as fae as Hovind is concerned. There are even a few that are far more out there on his page.

About the Anthrax cases...

Truth might be stranger then fiction in this case.

There are still no official leads and everyone is making up their own stories. A recent BBC Programm seriously claimed that it was a 'secret CIA project to investigate methods of sending anthrax through the mail which went madly out of control'.

If we ever find out what really happened nobody will belive it because it is either a) to mundane an explanation or b) to fantastic to believe.

Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  22:51:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
[quote]If we ever find out what really happened nobody will belive it because it is either a) to mundane an explanation or b) to fantastic to believe.[/quote]

I'm betting on A. Choice B would be too much, especially given what happened not even a month(?) earlier.

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your common sense." -Buddha
Go to Top of Page

Kaneda Kuonji
Skeptic Friend

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2002 :  14:47:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kaneda Kuonji a Private Message
I can't say I blame you. Man, the guy belongs in a mental asylum with Jack Chick, Pat Robertson, and Jerry Falwell. Maybe even Jesse Helms!

I'll get the tranq gun.

Rodney Dean, CI Order of the Knights of Jubal
Ivbalis.org

Go to Top of Page

Xev
Skeptic Friend

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2002 :  15:17:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Xev an ICQ Message Send Xev a Private Message
I've got the electrodes ready. Could somone clean up the rubber room a bit?

Ecrasez l'infame
-Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2002 :  17:31:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
[quote]I'd elaborate some more, but profanity is not allowed here.[/quote]

It's not? News to me.

---
...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
<i>No Sense of Obligation</i> by Matt Young
Go to Top of Page

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2002 :  18:51:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
Skeptic News had an item on the first part of this conspiracy article, with some followup from readers:
http://www.skepticnews.com/article.pl?sid=02/03/17/1724208&mode=thread

The last sentence of the CSE article is virtually an incitement to revolution, with Christian Reconstructionism providing a ready-made replacement for the current Constitutional system. I really don't know if Hovind only intends to bilk credulous fanatics, but the potential effects of this trend are quite alarming. When you combine Al Qaida apologetics with Christian Reconstructionism, creation-nuttery, and millions of heavily armed fundies, you have a powder keg with the fuse burning down.
It grieves me to say it, but I think it is only a matter of time before scientists and scientific facilities join abortion providers on the fundy hit list.

Authority has every reason to fear the skeptic, for authority can rarely survive in the face of doubt.
-Robert Lindner

Edited by - Piltdown on 03/24/2002 18:53:52
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2002 :  21:08:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
It is very scary. Didn't people used to have to state their religious preference on job applications
However, I'd hope that most americans are cognizent enough of civil liberties that we'd never find the fundies making our laws. Still, I've made sure I have lots and lots of friends in Canada.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

Kaneda Kuonji
Skeptic Friend

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2002 :  00:35:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kaneda Kuonji a Private Message
I've got people on that. We'll need orderlies. Robertson and Falwell are both notoriously stubborn. Also, someone grab Hovind.

Rodney Dean, CI Order of the Knights of Jubal
Ivbalis.org

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2002 :  00:45:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
[quote]
I've got the electrodes ready. Could somone clean up the rubber room a bit?

Ecrasez l'infame
-Voltaire
[/quote]
No, that was your friends that caused the mess in the first place. I'll take the hit on the bit with the blender, the egg in the microwave, and the cloven hoofprints in the begonias, but those were your buddies in the rubber room.
Maybe we could save time if we issued the whackos soap and water. Let'em earn their keep.
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  04:11:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Unfortunately, too many people believe that religous right leaders like Hovind, Dobson, Falwell, Reed and Robertson are truely concerned about religous freedom, and 'family values'. I don't think the majority of us see any further than the appeals to God, patriotism and some sense grand morality. Most people are completely unaware of the real motives of these individuals. I don't think they know how paranoid and often delusional these guys really are.

That's what scares me.

"The Constitution ..., is a marvelous document for self-government by Christian people. But the minute you turn the document into the hands of non-Christian and atheistic people they can use it to destroy the very foundation of our society." P. Robertson
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  09:11:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Funny you should mention that Tim, a gentleman and I found ourselves in agreement on the [i]1984[/i]ish attitude of a lot of people following 11 Sept.

---
...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
<i>No Sense of Obligation</i> by Matt Young
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds.