New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  04:21:55  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Why are scietists doing such a poor job of refuting ID to the public? Are they a flock of dodos, too slow and clumsey to avoid a hungry sailor's club?

quote:
Darwin Day puts spotlight on intelligent design
'Flock of Dodos' sparks debate

By AUBREY COHEN
P-I REPORTER

Evolutionary biologist turned filmmaker Randy Olson wishes his former colleagues were more like intelligent design proponents at the Discovery Institute in Seattle.

"I admire them for their communication skills," Olson said recently. "It's frustrating that the science world is so deeply stuck in the mud."

And Darwin's Day is all but upon us. I myself, plan an evolutionary fishing trip where I will, hopefully, get to observe the transition of a stripped bass from fish to filet, to main course. During these observations, I shall reflect upon Intelligent Design and wonder at the perfidity of the creationists who claim that, basically, doing science is all a matter of faith. They even have an , available laboratory here on earth, as well as a Big One beyond the sky (which is actually a pretty good, rethorical twist invoking all sorts of grandoise imaginings. A pity science is so hobbled by verifiable facts, as not to be able to intentionally invoke miraculous fantasia).

I wonder what they're cooking up in that lab, the ground-bound one that is, as if I didn't already have a pretty good idea... Or maybe they're just frying fish.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/08/2007 04:25:02

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  07:34:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Bah!

Easily refuted by the genius scientist at the Discovery Institute:

http://www.hoaxofdodos.com/

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  14:39:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Oh I so agree. Remember my thread on, "ID, we're asking the wrong question"?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  16:01:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Here's AiGs take on it:
quote:
Churches in praise of … Darwin!
Over 580 churches to participate in “Evolution Sunday” this weekend

by Ken Ham and Mark Looy, AiG–U.S.

February 8, 2007

Editor's note: We are reposting a 2006 article (originally appearing February 6, 2006) to point out once again that hundreds of churches are gearing up to celebrate—yes—“Evolution Sunday” this weekend (February 11). These “Evolution Sundays” are held near the time of Charles Darwin's birthday (February 12).

AiG has taken last year's article and altered it below in order to better relate to 2007's “Evolution Sunday”; for example, we have deleted a section about atheist/evolutionist Richard Dawkins and his 2006 TV special. (The full article, unaltered since its posting, is In praise of Darwin this Sunday … in hundreds of churches!)

This weekend, 586 congregations (at last count) in all 50 U.S. states—representing a variety of denominations—will attempt to show their congregations that religion and evolution are compatible. In a related project over the years, the organizers of “Evolution Sunday” have engaged in an effort called “The clergy letter project.” They have gathered more than 10,000 names of pastors sympathetic to evolution. Many of these pastors have even uploaded sermon outlines to a special website so that other like-minded, pro-evolution pastors can find assistance in crafting their own sermon to present to their people. (In fact, north on Interstate 71 from AiG-U.S.'s headquarters, a pastor in Ohio has posted a sermon in which he declares that if we do not acknowledge evolution, then we are not giving God the full credit for creation!

It continues, this retread of a rant, to cover everything from homosexuality to abortion, pretty much blaming it all on atheistic ambitions.
quote:
At the same time, atheists take glee when they see the clergy supporting evolution. They usually see such church compromise as a step towards atheism, for they expect that the next generation in the church will probably see the inconsistency of the clergy's beliefs—and they will soon give up the Bible altogether.

Thankfully, even though thousands of clergy have compromised, there are thousands who have “not bowed the knee to Baal.” We are finding more and more pastors who are standing up for the authority of the Word, including those whom the Lord has prompted to use creation resources to equip the church to defend the Christian faith against the onslaughts of evolutionary humanism.

Interesting that Ham and Looy couldn't come up with a new bleat, rather than digging through the archives. It sorta smacks of lazyness -- or a lack of imagination...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.