Surface of the Sun (part 12)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Antigone

44 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  16:38:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message
Cune, can you suggest a post on this thread that I should start from? I doubt it would take me less than a week to read through all twelve. You know this topic better than I do, so just go through and see at what point would be best for a new comer of this recent debate to jump in at.
Thanks for making the effert of writing a summary, lol, I can't imagine what that would look like. Its only a task someone could ask Hercules to do!

(by the way, thanks for pointing me to the right book I asked about in the other thread!)

Mortui non dolent
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  05:54:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Well, the STEREO was launched. How soon before we find out the surface is really made out of iron?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  06:58:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Well, the STEREO was launched. How soon before we find out the surface is really made out of iron?

Never, pleco, since NASA will just suppress the evidence to keep people like mozina from getting funding.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  07:50:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Damnit Cune, you're right. I assumed that any and all data from STEREO would be available to everyone, unmodified from the source, and the source itself is completely trustworthy. I need to be much more skeptical, to the point that my brains fall out (apologies to Mr. Sagan.)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Mozina
SFN Regular

1647 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  11:12:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Michael Mozina's Homepage Send Michael Mozina a Private Message
quote:

Based on what Russ Howard has told me, the STEREO satellites should start returning images about 90 days after launch.

STEREO isn't likely to demonstrate what the sun is made of, but it will demonstrate the position of the coronal loops in relationship to the chromosphere and photosphere. That information should either falsify my position completely, or substantiate my position considerably, and falsify LMSAL's interpretation of the location of the transitional region in the process.

Solar-B should also be able to help us measure the current flow inside of coronal loops. That information should also verify or falsify my position to a great degree.

I actually attended a meeting at LMSAL a few weeks back to see what the "state of the art" was in image processing, and to get some idea how they intend to figure out the x,y,z positioning of coronal loops. Unfortunately that particular code is currently "proprietary" (JPL code), so I can't review it, but they are working on an IDL/Solarsoft version of this same code that they will add to their solarsoft library at some point. As I understand it, all the images are going to be released as they are received, as released as individual images from each satellite. It should be a pretty "open" process.

My guess is that we'll have some significant answers within a 5-7 month window.

I feel like a kid right before Christmas. Will I get what I want, or will I be disappointed? Only time will tell now.
Go to Top of Page

Michael Mozina
SFN Regular

1647 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  11:18:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Michael Mozina's Homepage Send Michael Mozina a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

quote:

Never, pleco, since NASA will just suppress the evidence to keep people like mozina from getting funding.

Funding? Who said anything about funding?
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  05:14:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
I feel like a kid right before Christmas. Will I get what I want, or will I be disappointed? Only time will tell now.

Relax Michael, no matter what the results are you will interpret them as supporting your position - Merry Christmas...

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.