New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  10:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
Here's something you probably didn't know about the Mars Rovers:

quote:

The Spirit and Opportunity rovers were named through a student essay competition. The winning entry was by Sofi Collis, a third grade Russian American student from Arizona.

I used to live in an Orphanage.
It was dark and cold and lonely.
At night, I looked up at the sparkly sky and felt better.
I dreamed I could fly there.
In America, I can make all my dreams come true.....
Thank-you for the "Spirit" and the "Opportunity"

— Sofi Collis, age 9

I'd wondered now and again why they chose those names. The truth just struck me as very sweet...

EDIT1: the link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Exploration_Rover

EDIT2: Regarding the software used to control the rovers, you can get your own copy through a link in the quoted article...lol...

quote:
The NASA team uses a software application called SAP to view images collected from the rover, and to plan its daily activities. There is a version available to the public called Maestro. Maestro is written in Java so it will run on many different platforms including Microsoft Windows, Macintosh, Solaris, Linux, and Irix. The software, along with companion datasets, can be obtained from Maestro Headquarters
(same link as above)

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 10/27/2006 10:21:02
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  13:24:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
How dare Mars be so gol-danged BORING!

Doesn't Mars know that if doesn't compare with the latest Michael Bay crap-tacular movie, that America will change the channel and watch Dancing with the Stars?

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  13:55:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
They shoulda spent all that money on something more scientifically productive.

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  14:09:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vegeta

They shoulda spent all that money on something more scientifically productive.
Like what?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  14:28:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
Like designing a replacement to the space shuttle

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  14:55:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
Or what would be really interesting, since its becoming clearer that mars is dead, what I';d like to see happen is if they introduce a whole bunch of organisms, such as bacteria lichen etc. And see whats still kicking in 20 years time. Thats never gonna happen unfortunately

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  19:10:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Given the Shuttle's history (and the promises with which it began), why would anyone waste the money that way?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  19:15:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:

Lockheed Martin unveils its proposed space shuttle replacement.

Space Shuttle Replacement

NASA to Accelerate Plans for Shuttle's Replacement

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  02:38:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
well the shuttle is still needed. Hubble needs repairing, the ISS still needs visits. And NASA is obviously well behind on getting a new model in production.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  08:50:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Or what would be really interesting, since its becoming clearer that mars is dead, what I';d like to see happen is if they introduce a whole bunch of organisms, such as bacteria lichen etc. And see whats still kicking in 20 years time. Thats never gonna happen unfortunately

What gives you the idea life from Earth can survive on Mars?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  10:26:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message
you don't think any life could exist there? Life has evolved to live in extremely harsh conditions on this planet, although I don't think it could ever spontaneously appear on mars, I think there are at least some bacteria that could exist on mars. Of course my idea was an experiment, if in 20 years time everything had died, then you'd be learning something.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  20:30:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

well the shuttle is still needed.
Right, but what need is there for a replacement for the Shuttle?
quote:
Hubble needs repairing...
Which has to happen long before there's a replacement for the current Shuttle.
quote:
...the ISS still needs visits.
That thing should never have gone up in the first place. You want to complain about lack of results and a waste of money, the ISS should be your poster child!

The Mars Rovers have cost about $865 million from launch 'til now, as far as I can tell. That is about 67% of the total (non-marginal) cost of a single Shuttle flight. Each calendar year the rover missions are extended runs about $10 million, or one-sixth of just the marginal cost of a single Shuttle flight. And by the time the US stops spending money on the ISS in 2017, it will have spent almost $100 billion on that project, including $35 billion in Shuttle flights. Hell, the entire Apollo program is estimated to have cost only $135 billion in today's dollars, and the ISS certainly isn't doing nearly as much for us.
quote:
And NASA is obviously well behind on getting a new model in production.
No, they should have had plenty of time. Each Shuttle was designed for 100 flights. Discovery has 68 left, then. Atlantis can do 73 more, and Endeavour is up for another 81. At even a brisk six flights a year, the design life of the vehicles has another 37 years left. But the "mandatory" retirement of the Shuttle will occur in 2010, with NASA hoping for only 16 more flights between the three, total.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.