Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  20:15:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

I have a better idea.

Would it be possible for you guys to agree to disagree? Or is it too late for that?

I tried that about five pages ago Kil. But Dude quickly went into childhood mode and started gloating as though he won. The fact is he cannot win because he has established his own definitions and by none of them is he correct for categorizing the word supernatural as gibberish.

Facts! Pssh, you can prove anything even remotely true with facts.
- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Marge: Well... um.... [goes outside to jump on tampoline with Homer.]
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  21:01:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Dude said:
quote:
This is my last contribution to this thread until you recant your lies and offer an apology.

Well, it would have been, but you decided to add some new lies to your list.

Neurosis lied:
quote:
The fact is he cannot win because he has established his own definitions

I have provided referenced support for definitions I have used in this thread, you lying sack of shit. Even the link to wiki for "gibberish" supports my usage of that word. All you need to do to verify the definition of nature is open a merriam websters unabridged dictionary. The definition I quoted is directly from that book.

So enough lying.

But here, once again, is your primary lie:
quote:
because you said flat out nature includes all things that can possibly exist.

That is your strawman, not a statement by me.

Yet you persist on claiming those words are mine. Let me paraphrase the VP: Go fuck yourself, you lying sack of shit.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  21:05:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Kil said:
quote:
Would it be possible for you guys to agree to disagree? Or is it too late for that?

You can't "agree to disagree" with a piece of shit liar who strawmans you, and then continues to insist he isn't.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2007 :  21:38:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Okay, guys. Something MUST change about this situation. What's it going to be? I'm open to suggestions. I'm not open to any more of this sort of fighting.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  11:30:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:

I have provided referenced support for definitions I have used in this thread, you lying sack of shit. Even the link to wiki for "gibberish" supports my usage of that word. All you need to do to verify the definition of nature is open a merriam websters unabridged dictionary. The definition I quoted is directly from that book.

Uh... that is what I said. I have accepted all of your definitions. There is more than one definition for many words in many dictionaries, but I have from the start used your definitions and will continue to do so, because it is your use of a word that is at debate.

quote:
quote:
because you said flat out nature includes all things that can possibly exist.

That is your strawman, not a statement by me.

Acually you said:

"The word "supernatural" is used to describe things that exist outside of nature, which is rather self evidently impossible."

The last part is ...things that exist outside nature, which is rather self evidently impossible.

Things existing outside of nature is not self evidently impossible. Even describing things existing outside of nature with a word that means existing outside of nature is not impossible. Something can be speculated to exist outside of nature, and that is what Baxter was doing with his original question.

- Homer Simpson

[God] is an infinite nothing from nowhere with less power over our universe than the secretary of agriculture.
- Prof. Frink

Lisa: Yes, but wouldn't you rather know the truth than to delude yourself for happiness?
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  11:32:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Kil said:
quote:

You can't "agree to disagree" with a piece of shit liar who strawmans you, and then continues to insist he isn't.

Dude, I asked you flat out to give me your logic statement or syllogism and you gave me that nature is the set of real things crap. So I responded to it. If you want me to address your real argument, you must present it as a logic statement, elsewise it is simply statements with no evidence.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  11:34:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Okay, guys. Something MUST change about this situation. What's it going to be? I'm open to suggestions. I'm not open to any more of this sort of fighting.

I already agreed to drop it a few times. Dude continues to act childish. He continues to play the "I win" game. I have already presented my case. I only checked this thread this time because you had posted. It is completely irrelevent to me how Dude uses words lightly.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  12:57:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Neurosis lied:
quote:
I already agreed to drop it a few times. Dude continues to act childish. He continues to play the "I win" game. I have already presented my case. I only checked this thread this time because you had posted. It is completely irrelevent to me how Dude uses words lightly.

You haven't agreed to "drop it".

You haven't presented any "case".

It is obvious that you do care about how I use words (hence the 7 pages of arguing).

Is there no end to your willingness to lie?

Dave_W said:
quote:
Something MUST change about this situation. What's it going to be? I'm open to suggestions. I'm not open to any more of this sort of fighting.

Suggestions.... Neurosis could stop lying. There is a suggestion.

Since he is obviously not going to do it, then I don't really have any advice on how you should moderate this thread Dave_W.

I have no real desire to keep defending myself against his lies here, and I'd just drop this thread if he would stop inventing new lies.

Maybe just lock it and be done with it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Neurosis
SFN Regular

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  13:01:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Neurosis an AOL message Send Neurosis a Private Message
Since Dude is a child, and I would not argue with a child about anything because of the futility, I am going to ignore all further unevidenced accusations made by Dude.

- Homer Simpson

- Prof. Frink

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2007 :  13:05:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Neurosis said:
quote:
There is no reason to accept such a description as anything more than gibberish (Dude's point of view), but it does inform of something (Marf's point of view) no matter how useless. Like knowing the belt size of the man you are interviewing for a job. Or for the Allies to know the name of Hitler's first grade teacher.

They seem to have started out by saying almost the same thing.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.