|
|
|
Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9704 Posts |
Posted - 05/08/2026 : 14:12:34 [Permalink]
|
Three weeks into retirement, and it feels like I'm on a long vacation. Enjoying every minute of it.
Outdoor temperature has risen enough for me to take my first motorcycle-ride around the local area. Very nice indeed.
On Sunday I'm planning my first visit of the year to the gun range for some target practice. While looking for some maintenance help on Google AI for my large caliber gun, I found out I have a potential collector's edition of the CZ 75 9mm pistol; in 1992 they redesigned the CZ 75 and my gun has a "transitional" design, meaning some details differ from both the original design and the new Model B-version. The trigger guard is unique, and while the clip was re-designed, my gun takes both the new and the old design where as the original and the new designs are not compatible. The CZ 75 is also one of the few pistols that can safely handle the Swedish military 9mm sub-machine gun ammo (the standard 9x19 format), which is steel-jacked and able to penetrate regular flak-jackets even better than the classic '357 or '44 Magnum. I inherited a large stack from my father who was a reserve officer... |
Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..." Dr. Mabuse aka Mikael Lännqvist Whispering Mabuse (Propaganda)
"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse
Support American Troops in Iraq: Send them unarmed civilians for target practice.. Collateralmurder. |
 |
|
|
Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13489 Posts |
Posted - 06/18/2026 : 18:55:43 [Permalink]
|
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
Three weeks into retirement, and it feels like I'm on a long vacation. Enjoying every minute of it.
Outdoor temperature has risen enough for me to take my first motorcycle-ride around the local area. Very nice indeed.
On Sunday I'm planning my first visit of the year to the gun range for some target practice. While looking for some maintenance help on Google AI for my large caliber gun, I found out I have a potential collector's edition of the CZ 75 9mm pistol; in 1992 they redesigned the CZ 75 and my gun has a "transitional" design, meaning some details differ from both the original design and the new Model B-version. The trigger guard is unique, and while the clip was re-designed, my gun takes both the new and the old design where as the original and the new designs are not compatible. The CZ 75 is also one of the few pistols that can safely handle the Swedish military 9mm sub-machine gun ammo (the standard 9x19 format), which is steel-jacked and able to penetrate regular flak-jackets even better than the classic '357 or '44 Magnum. I inherited a large stack from my father who was a reserve officer...
|
Enjoy retirement! |
Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Why not question something for a change?
Genetic Literacy Project |
 |
|
|
ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1494 Posts |
Posted - 07/04/2026 : 13:33:24 [Permalink]
|
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
Three weeks into retirement, and it feels like I'm on a long vacation. Enjoying every minute of it.
Outdoor temperature has risen enough for me to take my first motorcycle-ride around the local area. Very nice indeed.
On Sunday I'm planning my first visit of the year to the gun range for some target practice. While looking for some maintenance help on Google AI for my large caliber gun, I found out I have a potential collector's edition of the CZ 75 9mm pistol; in 1992 they redesigned the CZ 75 and my gun has a "transitional" design, meaning some details differ from both the original design and the new Model B-version. The trigger guard is unique, and while the clip was re-designed, my gun takes both the new and the old design where as the original and the new designs are not compatible. The CZ 75 is also one of the few pistols that can safely handle the Swedish military 9mm sub-machine gun ammo (the standard 9x19 format), which is steel-jacked and able to penetrate regular flak-jackets even better than the classic '357 or '44 Magnum. I inherited a large stack from my father who was a reserve officer...
|
Envious! |
 |
|
|
Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26039 Posts |
Posted - 07/29/2026 : 20:55:13 [Permalink]
|
I tried to start a fight in Walmart the other day.
I was walking through the chips aisle. A guy in front of me grabs a big bag of puffy Cheetos off the shelf.
I said, "puffy Cheetos are the worst."
He said, "how dare you!"
As I walked past him, I said, "crunchy Cheetos are the only way to go."
He said, "it's all good, man, it's all good!"
As I walked away, I said, "Nope." |
- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail) Evidently, I rock! Why not question something for a change? Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too. |
 |
|
|
Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13489 Posts |
Posted - 07/30/2026 : 13:48:14 [Permalink]
|
Originally posted by Dave W.
I tried to start a fight in Walmart the other day.
I was walking through the chips aisle. A guy in front of me grabs a big bag of puffy Cheetos off the shelf.
I said, "puffy Cheetos are the worst."
He said, "how dare you!"
As I walked past him, I said, "crunchy Cheetos are the only way to go."
He said, "it's all good, man, it's all good!"
As I walked away, I said, "Nope."
|
https://www.instagram.com/reels/DPjaTfLDWt2/
|
Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Why not question something for a change?
Genetic Literacy Project |
 |
|
|
Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13489 Posts |
Posted - 08/01/2026 : 15:11:48 [Permalink]
|
| Oh good. We still exist. I wasn't sure until August 1st. Today. I still haven't gotten Larry to hand over the keys. But it looks like we have another year at least. |
Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Why not question something for a change?
Genetic Literacy Project |
 |
|
|
Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26039 Posts |
Posted - 08/03/2026 : 17:56:21 [Permalink]
|
Originally posted by Kil
Oh good. We still exist. I wasn't sure until August 1st. Today. I still haven't gotten Larry to hand over the keys. But it looks like we have another year at least. | Woo! |
- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail) Evidently, I rock! Why not question something for a change? Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too. |
 |
|
|
Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9704 Posts |
Posted - 08/05/2026 : 01:24:39 [Permalink]
|
Originally posted by Kil
Oh good. We still exist. I wasn't sure until August 1st. Today. I still haven't gotten Larry to hand over the keys. But it looks like we have another year at least.
|
Is it an economical issue? Because if it is, let me know (Facebook-PM me), maybe we can work something out... |
Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..." Dr. Mabuse aka Mikael Lännqvist Whispering Mabuse (Propaganda)
"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse
Support American Troops in Iraq: Send them unarmed civilians for target practice.. Collateralmurder. |
 |
|
|
Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13489 Posts |
Posted - 08/13/2026 : 22:26:19 [Permalink]
|
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
Originally posted by Kil
Oh good. We still exist. I wasn't sure until August 1st. Today. I still haven't gotten Larry to hand over the keys. But it looks like we have another year at least.
|
Is it an economical issue? Because if it is, let me know (Facebook-PM me), maybe we can work something out...
| It's not the money at all. It's just, I don't know. Larry (@tomic) is difficult. I don't know why. He just is.  |
Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Why not question something for a change?
Genetic Literacy Project |
 |
|
|
ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1494 Posts |
Posted - 08/19/2026 : 09:03:40 [Permalink]
|
| I adore living with just my dog. A roommate, especially a difficult one, would stress me out. |
 |
|
|
Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13489 Posts |
Posted - 10/06/2026 : 14:28:37 [Permalink]
|
Okay, so here's the deal. I don't understand why this site is up right now. I've been working for a over a week to get it back online, and all attempts have failed, including one this morning with the actual server company, and not just the company that holds the domain name. When I got off the phone with that guy, it was looking pretty grim. There were unpaid bills to pay and stuff like that, plus I had no way to authenticate anything. All the stuff Larry (@tomic) has I have none of. Pins, passwords, email addresses, and so on are all his, and he's been ghosting me for like a year now. I told the guy what we would be losing, and he said there was nothing he could do. A few hours later, here it is. The site is back on. I have no idea what happened. I don't know how long it will last. But here it is.
|
Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Why not question something for a change?
Genetic Literacy Project |
 |
|
|
Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9704 Posts |
Posted - 10/07/2026 : 01:32:31 [Permalink]
|
"Classic ASP" which is the software environment the SFN forum is running on is getting ancient.
But there has been documented instances of forum-owners making the transition from Snitz-2000 to phpBB2, and from there to phpBB3 which is fairly modern and secure. I don't recall if we ever discussed it in the moderator section but SFN is most likely running on an ACCESS database engine, which could be converted to MySQL if we got a datadump. Then the entire forum could be run on Apache/php/mySQL on any Windows or Linux-computer.
It would at least be fun to see if it could be done. I'm pretty sure Dave_W. could pull it off, but I would have to do some serious refreshing of my programming skills - it's been ages since I administered/troubleshooted Skeptilcality Forums' backend. But all that would require full server access.
It is possible to use a program like Web-crawler to make a snap-shot of the forum, but it would only be a static picture of what SFN looked like. No interaction available. |
Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..." Dr. Mabuse aka Mikael Lännqvist Whispering Mabuse (Propaganda)
"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse
Support American Troops in Iraq: Send them unarmed civilians for target practice.. Collateralmurder. |
| Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 10/07/2026 01:46:56 |
 |
|
|
Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13489 Posts |
Posted - 10/07/2026 : 11:48:47 [Permalink]
|
One of my cousins on FB left this reply. I have no idea of how this would work and to me it might as well be written in Martian.
The question (for Google) then become "how to archive a Snitz forum message board without administrative privilege?" To archive a Snitz forums message board without administrative privileges, your best option is to scrape the public-facing pages using an offline website downloader (web crawler). Because Snitz forums rely on URL query strings (like topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=123) to serve database content, standard crawlers will work as long as they are configured to follow these dynamic links.
1. Choose a Crawling Tool 2. Configure the Scrape (Using HTTrack) 3. Alternative: Precision Scraping via Wget Important Limitations • Private Sections: Any sub-forums or topics restricted to registered users or specific roles cannot be scraped unless you provide your session cookies or login credentials to the crawler. • Search and Posting: The archived backup will be completely static. Interactive features like searching, voting, or posting new replies will not function offline. |
|
Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.
Why not question something for a change?
Genetic Literacy Project |
 |
|
 |
|