New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  12:21:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by justintime

Your reading must be really bad. Because you were also asked to check the link which says they are pink because of both diet and genetic factors.
Wow. It has already been explained to you; the question involved was never why a flamingo is pink. The question asked was what causes a white flamingo to turn pink. Do you need that repeated 50 times ?
Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 12:25:51
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  14:48:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by CRUX

Wow. It has already been explained to you; the question involved was never why a flamingo is pink. The question asked was what causes a white flamingo to turn pink. Do you need that repeated 50 times ?
I'm with justintime on this one. The same thing that causes a white flamingo to turn pink fails to cause a white cockatoo to turn pink, so the answer is not "environmental cause alone."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  15:09:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I'm with justintime on this one. The same thing that causes a white flamingo to turn pink fails to cause a white cockatoo to turn pink, so the answer is not "environmental cause alone."
That is nonsensical, Dave W. What "same thing" as causes a flamingo to turn pink does not cause white cockatoos to turn pink ?

Diet is the difference between a white flamingo and one that turned pink. That's all that was different.

Is a cockatoo a different species than the one being asked about ? Why, yes, it is !

Diet difference causes a white flamingo to turn pink even though it does not cause a white cockatoo to turn pink. What relevant information does that hold for us ?

Well, it reinforces the knowledge that cockatoos are not flamingos !

Also not being questioned.

Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 15:22:57
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  15:20:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks Dave. The telepathy works. I concentrated hard on tickling your cerebral cortex to chime in.

Why would someone after being provided a link and explanation turn around and ask a question well covered within the material presented.

""Q: Why are flamingos pink? Could white birds become pink if I feed them with caratenoid food?
originally posted by Justintime
A: The pink or rosy plumage in flamingos results from a combination of their genetics, which produces the pigment granules in the feathers, and carotenoids in their food. Hence, zoo personnel have to provide flamingos with special carotenoid-rich shrimp in their diet if these birds are to maintain their natural color. Simply feeding white birds, such as egrets, white ibis, and swans, with a carotenoid-rich diet will not turn their plumage reddish, as these birds lack the genes to produce the pigment cells in their feathers. Moreover, the red color in most birds, such as cardinals, tanagers, and red-tailed hawks, does not depend on their diet."

I covered both why and cause. Genetics and diet.
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  15:29:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why would someone after being provided a link and explanation turn around and ask a question well covered within the material presented.
Well, I did not do that. You provided a link that did not answer the question asked, and that is all that happened.

The question is what makes a white flamingo turn pink. That has been answered. Diet difference. It's been answered over and over.Diet.

But then, as if to try throwing a wrench in afterward, you repeatedly attempt to change the question.

The question has been answered. You admitted it .

The rest is nonsense and arm-waving.
Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 15:30:19
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  15:35:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The question was:
What causes the naturally white flamingos to turn pink ?

justintime answered
...because they turned pink from their diet.
and that is the correct answer.

why don't white cockatoos turn pink then?
Is an offering of bilge seemingly made to cause doubt about the true answer.

Just as justintime thinks that if a "miracle" cannot be explained by justinime, then it means science is screwed.
NOT. Throwing in cockatoos is foolishness. They were never the question.

It's as if you think the question is "what makes all white BIRDS turn pink"?

justintime tries something like that
Could white birds become pink

Not cool.

It never was that question. It's a question specific to flamingos. Not all birds do turn pink with diet change. NOt even all white birds do.

White flamingos happen to be a kind of bird that does. The cuasse of flamingos turning pink is diet difference. No pink diet, no pink bird. Very simple !
Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 15:57:17
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  15:53:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your first post here followed my post which explained color, genetics and diet of flamingos. You just did not read or understand what was said and asked a question then accepted an answer which was already covered in the post you used to frame your question.

[quote] originally posted by Justintime
The pink or rosy plumage in flamingos results from a combination of their genetics, which produces the pigment granules in the feathers, and carotenoids in their food. Hence, zoo personnel have to provide flamingos with special carotenoid-rich shrimp in their diet if these birds are to maintain their natural color. Simply feeding white birds, such as egrets, white ibis, and swans, with a carotenoid-rich diet will not turn their plumage reddish, as these birds lack the genes to produce the pigment cells in their feathers. Moreover, the red color in most birds, such as cardinals, tanagers, and red-tailed hawks, does not depend on their diet."[/qupte]

Genetics and diet causes the coloring. Slice and dice it anyway you want. Both the excerpt and link was posted before to answer the pink in flamingos. I know it is hard for you to get over the sight of pink flamingos. But I hope the explanation is not beyond your grasp nor should it be for a 55 plus old codger.
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  16:04:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Your first post here followed my post which explained color, genetics and diet of flamingos. You just did not read or understand what was said and asked a question then accepted an answer which was already covered in the post you used to frame your question.
That is not true ( at least any possible meaning that I can decipher of the mess, seems to be false) .

originally posted by Justintime
The pink or rosy plumage in flamingos results from a combination of their genetics, which produces the pigment granules in the feathers, and carotenoids in their food.

Genetics and diet causes the coloring.
You've again tried to change the question; a boring routine now. The question never was "why are flamingos pink". The question, may I remind you once more, is " WHAT CAUSES the WHITE flamingos to TURN pink"

And that is an entirely different question. You already answered it by accident.
they turned pink from their diet.

Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 16:14:45
Go to Top of Page

justintime
BANNED

382 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  16:21:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send justintime a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you don't think from your understanding of the passage below addresses the why and cause of the pink in flamingos.

"The pink or rosy plumage in flamingos results from a combination of their genetics, which produces the pigment granules in the feathers, and carotenoids in their food. Hence, zoo personnel have to provide flamingos with special carotenoid-rich shrimp in their diet if these birds are to maintain their natural color."
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  16:24:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CRUX, you appear to be stuck on the proximate cause of flamingos' color changes, and demanding we ignore more distal (but absolutely relevant) causes.

It's like you would insist that the correct answer to "why did the Titanic sink?" could only be "because it filled up with water," and any examination of why that happened is an answer to "an entirely different question."

The ultimate cause of the sinking is much more complex, of course. Just like the ultimate cause of flamingos turning pink is more complex than "they turned pink from their diet."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  17:01:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

CRUX, you appear to be stuck on the proximate cause of flamingos' color changes, and demanding we ignore more distal (but absolutely relevant) causes.[/quote} No, my thrust is that you stop changing the question. Why are you intent on changing the question ?

Only one cause of white flamingos turning pink is identified.

The rest is nothing but distraction.

[quote]It's like you would insist that the correct answer to "why did the Titanic sink?"

could only be "because it filled up with water,"
No, that is your angle. Molecules and pigments and genes and feathers and this and that . It's a laugh. The genes existed all along. The change occurred with a diet change. End of story.

I would insist on proper identification of the right kind of cause, for the question being asked.

That is, wrt to Titanic, that the cause of it SINKING when it was NOT SINKING just previously, was HITTING THE BERG. That was what made the DIFFERENCE. Difference, Dave W. Difference. Now the ship starts to sink.

Not waves, not steel, not lack of lifejackets, not lack of preparation or planning or good sense, none of that extraneous crap counts - but hitting the flipping berg, Dave. That is what caused the change for the ship. Hitting the berg.
Dave W, try this; what about carelessness or greed? Were they causes ?

Well, Dave, you have to say it right. Was that a cause of the ship sinking ? No. If it had missed the berg, the carelessness or greed would not even be known about today, even though the carelessness did exist. Why it hit the berg is another matter.

Someone might claim that the cause of the Titanic sinking was a butterfly flapping it's wings over in Brazil. No thanks !
Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 17:21:59
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  17:42:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, my thrust is that you stop changing the question. Why are you intent on changing the question ?
Because "diet" is over-simplified when the subject is phylogeny.
So you're saying that the genetics of flamingos' feather color is identical to all other white birds, then. You're saying that genetics cannot be a contributing factor.
The rest is nothing but distraction.
How so?
It's like you would insist that the correct answer to "why did the Titanic sink?"

could only be "because it filled up with water,"
No, that is your angle.
No, that's the opposite of "my angle." How hard is it to understand that I'm saying that for white flamingos to turn pink, it requires more than just a change in their diet.
I would insist on proper identification of the right kind of cause, for the question being asked.

That is, wrt to Titanic, that the cause of it SINKING when it was NOT SINKING previous, was HITTING THE BERG. That was what made the DIFFERENCE. Difference, Dave W. Difference.
Yes, and flamingos are different from other kinds of birds. Different, CRUX, different.
Not waves, not steel, not lack of lifejackets, not lack of preparation or planning or good sense, none of that extraneous crap - but hitting the flipping berg, Dave. That is what caused the change.
Yes, of course, CRUX. Had the boat been designed differently or taken a different course, it still could have HIT A BERG and sank in the same way. How stupid of me to not recognize that the only thing that made a difference was strinking an iceberg.
Dave W, try this; what about carelessness or greed? Were they causes ?
Yes.
Well, Dave, you have to say it right. Was that a cause of the ship sinking ? No. If it had missed the berg, the carelessness would not even be known about today, and is irrelevant to why the ship sank. Why it hit the berg is another matter.
Why won't you accept that a whole bunch of factors came together and caused a disaster?

Hell, the ship wouldn't have sank if after HITTING THE BERG (like all-caps makes your point better) it hadn't filled up with water. The real cause of its sinking must have been the water. Think about it: a microsecond after it hit the iceberg, there was only a nominal amount of water on board, nothing the ship couldn't have coped with. But ten minutes later, wow! So the state of the ship changed after all contact with the iceberg was finished. Couldn't have been the iceberg that made the difference in the water levels, then (according to your logic).

I bet you think that a hole in an O-ring caused the Challenger explosion, too.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  18:01:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, my thrust is that you stop changing the question. Why are you intent on changing the question ?
Because "diet" is over-simplified when the subject is phylogeny.
The subject is not phylogeny. The subject is what caused the white flamingos to turn pink. It's about PHENOTYPES, not phylogeny. Like I said, stop changing the subject. I guarantee of you do that, your understanding of the problem would improve.

{laughing hard enough to cry }. Phylogeny indeed.
Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 18:08:01
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  18:15:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So you're saying that the genetics of flamingos' feather color is identical to all other white birds, then.
No, what is happening is that you are again trying to change the subject.

As well, I do NOT say anything like that. Neither did anything I've said, indicate it.

In fact, flamingos are not Cockatoos. Not elephants. Not roller coasters. Stop changing the topic, please !

Their genetics are NOT the same as all birds' genetics, or all white birds'. It is also not correct to say that all birds have the same genetics. They do not.

What nonsense. All nonsense.
Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 18:22:04
Go to Top of Page

CRUX
BANNED

192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2011 :  18:27:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CRUX a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So you don't think from your understanding of the passage below addresses the why and cause of the pink in flamingos.

"The pink or rosy plumage in flamingos results from a combination of their genetics, which produces the pigment granules in the feathers, and carotenoids in their food. Hence, zoo personnel have to provide flamingos with special carotenoid-rich shrimp in their diet if these birds are to maintain their natural color."

That was never the question. It's not ethically correct to try to change the question in order to make the correct answer appear to be wrong ( because the correct answer to the question asked, is not about your question}

Ludicrous antics.
Edited by - CRUX on 09/24/2011 18:30:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds.